Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Short rant about people that don't keep dogs up......

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Short rant about people that don't keep dogs up......

I have weighed in on this before but I feel the need to do so again. I have been in the middle of a move to the farm so my middle daughter has helped me out by keeping some of the horses at her place. One of them is a little late born filly that was still nursing her mother. Any way last night they hear some dogs barking and did not think much about it but then after a little while it just did not seem right. They found 3 dogs, not strays....but peoples pets with collars, on the filly. They had her in the tank. They got the dogs off and the filly to the barn. They tried to warm her up and save her but she died. They had dome more damage to her then she could survive. My daughter is beside herself. The filly belonged to my youngest so she is less than happy also. I am sure the people that own the dogs will tell you what sweet pets they are and how it would be cruel to keep such wonderful animals up. Let me sum up my feelings on the subject......If you have dogs and you have less than 1000 acres then you need to keep your ****ed dogs up. If you do not then you are a problem. Your dogs will cause problems that you know nothing about. Stop being a bad neighbor. If you really care about your dogs then you would keep them at home because I promise any dog that comes across this place will be considered harassing my livestock and will be dealt with accordingly.

-john

100% accurate, and you absolutely could have legally shot them when you found them on the horse.

People see their dogs when they're around them and simply do not believe that they're still dogs. Pack animals that are near (or at) apex predator status when allowed to run freely with other dogs. Group of strays killed one of my mom's full grown horses a couple of years back. Just ran it until it collapsed.

I hope you find the owners and are compensated.

Comment

Hope you SSS the dogs since they were attacking livestock

Comment

Do you know who owns the dogs? They owe you a check.

Comment

Agree. This is the side of the shooting dogs argument where it's damm right justified!!! Also feel the irresponsible owner needs a arse kicking too

Comment

Wow! I hope a call was made to the sheriffs office. Those dogs owners should be held responsible

Me personally there would have been dead dogs around that tank, and the owners would be paying for my loss!

Comment

I hear yall but I was not there. My youngest thinks she might know where the dogs are from but we have no real proof and the dogs were not shot. Long story short I am just screwed on this one but this is how it ends most time. The owner of the livestock is screwed and the owners of the dogs go on through life thinking what great dogs they have. About all I can do about it now is to talk about it and hope that the people on this forum that let their pets run loose will read it.

-john

Comment

Well that's sucks. Your daughter dropped the ball on that, but in the moment I can understand how saving the filly was the main concern. Sad deal.

Comment

That sucks...
                  but my dogs mind so I will not be taking your 1000 acres or less advice.

Comment

Originally posted by TX_Hoghunter View Post
                    I have weighed in on this before but I feel the need to do so again. I have been in the middle of a move to the farm so my middle daughter has helped me out by keeping some of the horses at her place. One of them is a little late born filly that was still nursing her mother. Any way last night they hear some dogs barking and did not think much about it but then after a little while it just did not seem right. They found 3 dogs, not strays....but peoples pets with collars, on the filly. They had her in the tank. They got the dogs off and the filly to the barn. They tried to warm her up and save her but she died. They had dome more damage to her then she could survive. My daughter is beside herself. The filly belonged to my youngest so she is less than happy also. I am sure the people that own the dogs will tell you what sweet pets they are and how it would be cruel to keep such wonderful animals up. Let me sum up my feelings on the subject......If you have dogs and you have less than 1000 acres then you need to keep your ****ed dogs up. If you do not then you are a problem. Your dogs will cause problems that you know nothing about. Stop being a bad neighbor. If you really care about your dogs then you would keep them at home because I promise any dog that comes across this place will be considered harassing my livestock and will be dealt with accordingly.

-john
                    Spot on 1000%.

Comment

Originally posted by systemnt View Post
                      That sucks...
                      but my dogs mind so I will not be taking your 1000 acres or less advice.
                      My grand parents never kept their dogs up but then again they lived and worked there. They seldom left. They knew where their dogs were the vast majority of the time, but very few people live that way now. Most people load up and drive to work and have no clue what their dogs are doing while they are gone. I got news for people, while you are gone they are not stilling on the porch waiting on you. They are running everywhere. They learn the schedule and will meet their owners after work but that does not mean they have been sitting there all day.

-john

Comment

My grand parents never kept their dogs up but then again they lived and worked there. They seldom left. They knew where their dogs were the vast majority of the time, but very few people live that way now. Most people load up and drive to work and have no clue what their dogs are doing while they are gone. I got news for people, while you are gone they are not stilling on the porch waiting on you. They are running everywhere. They learn the schedule and will meet their owners after work but that does not mean they have been sitting there all day.

-john
                        I understand you are upset.. understandably so....but you have no idea what my dog does.
                        I will continue to ignore your comments and chalk them up to your anger at the events.

Comment

Originally posted by AntlerCollector View Post
                          Wow! I hope a call was made to the sheriffs office. Those dogs owners should be held responsible

Me personally there would have been dead dogs around that tank, and the owners would be paying for my loss!
                          THIS IS HOW YOU HANDLE THE SITUATION!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Make sure to bill them for the ammunition cost as well as gun cleaning cost.

Comment

Originally posted by AntlerCollector View Post

Yep. OP Sorry for the loss.

Comment

-john
                              Dang man, hate to hear it! Bad deal all around.

Yeah, everyone thinks "not my dog, he is special!"

Comment

Working...
                              X