"Official" Sam Houston Natl. Forest 10/11

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

"Official" Sam Houston Natl. Forest 10/11

Well I started my scouting today. Saw several does. I scouted a spot that had two scrapes under a holly tree last year and there is a heck of a trail about 10 yards away. I'm tempted to hunt there, but it is a long 1.5 mile hike in and down hill the last 1/2 mile or so. There is a trail of sorts to the site, and I could use my cart, but it would be very hard to get something out. I'm not against the hike, but worry about getting game out of there. I found a place where I can get closer to the site, but that would mean I have to bushwhack it. I know that I would have to cross at least two creeks and I would not have any trail to follow.
    I also found a pond and was wondering if anyone has had any luck hunting ponds in the forest.
    Last I went to the archery only area by Huntsville SP. I have never scouted this area and found a couple promising areas...but man is it thick in there. Most of the area's I scouted were so thick I don't know how anyone would hunt that area successfully. I think I am going to go scout it again.

Anyone else scouting this early? What are you finding?

I might hunt it this year since its in my backyard now that I live in Willis.

Comment

You moved again! Was that you on the radio the other day? If your interested let me know, I've scouted a couple great area's and have another real good prospect that I am going to scout soon.

Comment

pm sent huntinfool

Comment

Good Luck

Comment

I have been scouting the SP area a bunch

Comment

Originally posted by axisbuck View Post
              pm sent huntinfool
              PM replied.

I wanted to get back out there today, but just did not get around to it.
              I have to work the BPS hunting classic's the next two weekends, so I will have to wait until then to go scout. But I have a real good spot I want to scout and I have heard it is a great spot with some great deer. I hope it turns out to be true. It means I have to get there with my boat, but to get there on foot is about a 3 mile hike. With the boat it is about a 300-400 yard hike....yep, I'm excited.

Anyone else interested in scouting area's and maybe teaching and helping each other let me know.

Also, anyone interested in a GTG for lunch opening day?

Comment

Cant wait for the hunting season to start, going to start looking at my old spots soon and look for some new ones too, the old ones are good every year but allways looking for something new. Huntingfool how did the acorns look, were there some starting to grow, hopefully with all this rain we have had there will be a bumper crop this year.

Comment

Actually I did not even look for acorns. The couple spots I do have do not have any oaks nearby. One spot with the holly tree is in a bottom and should have had some oaks, but I was more concentrated on the trail I found and the lack of suitable trees nearby. That area is so thick, I just don't know how I am going to be able to hunt the area. But I have another spot I want to scout and it is full of oaks and I want to try and scout it soon.

Comment

I have never had any luck around ponds. Seems they use them after dark and with a decent amount of rainfall the deer don't need the ponds.

Comment

Originally posted by huntinfool View Post
                      PM replied.

I wanted to get back out there today, but just did not get around to it.
                      I have to work the BPS hunting classic's the next two weekends, so I will have to wait until then to go scout. But I have a real good spot I want to scout and I have heard it is a great spot with some great deer. I hope it turns out to be true. It means I have to get there with my boat, but to get there on foot is about a 3 mile hike. With the boat it is about a 300-400 yard hike....yep, I'm excited.

Anyone else interested in scouting area's and maybe teaching and helping each other let me know.

Also, anyone interested in a GTG for lunch opening day?
                      Lunch sounds good ... This will be my wife's first archery season where she is carrying a bow. Should be a fun time.
                      Let me know the next time your heading up , we can get together for some scouting. I have been around the Huntsville / Willis areas for 2O+ years.....

Comment

Im down for lunch Huntinfool. You have a PM.

Comment

It usually rains about a week or two before the bow opener, and that makes hunting the ponds iffy at best. If it doesn't rain much before opening day, ponds can be a gold mine. Was there any hog sign around the pond you found? Normally that's what you'll see at the ponds.
                          Dave

Comment

Originally posted by TexasBlake View Post
                            Im down for lunch Huntinfool. You have a PM.
                            Replied to. Any one in the area recommend a place to eat? Possibly Huntsville or New Waverly?

Originally posted by Coon View Post
                            It usually rains about a week or two before the bow opener, and that makes hunting the ponds iffy at best. If it doesn't rain much before opening day, ponds can be a gold mine. Was there any hog sign around the pond you found? Normally that's what you'll see at the ponds.
                            Dave
                            No hog sign around the pond. Saw a couple deer tracks and that was it. There is a small opening in the forest just down hill from this pond and it looks like the deer are staging in this area before they cross the road into a private property deer lease with deer feeders. I figure this is the place to ambush them.
                            Also this area has two running creeks, so I figure that the deer are drinking there and not hitting this pond, but at least I can eliminate this area as a hunting spot...unless I have a pesky tag along and then I have this great pond that the deer are hitting and then they will probably kill a booner there.
                            Last edited by huntinfool; 08-02-2010, 02:30 PM.

Comment

Just another note, I have 4-5 people that are wanting to hook up and scout. I will keep in touch with everyone and let them know when I am going and we may all just get together and all scout together or in groups so that we can all help and learn from each other.

Comment

Working...
                              X