Arrow Length?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Arrow Length?

Just got a bow a couple of months ago and finally decided to try shooting some broadheads. I guess I never paid enough attention to how far back the tip comes past my hand until there was a 100 grains of meat eater behind my knuckles. So I guess my question is pretty simple. Is this how most people shoot or does the arrow tip need to be out past your hand? Guess you better keep that first finger tucked tight!

have someone mark a arrow about a 1" - 2" past your rest that you have drawn back and are ready to shoot, I am guessing that you have the arrows spined for your bow.

Comment

Need to do some research. Don't even know what spined means

Comment

Depending on the kind of rest you might be 'ok'. Rest like the full containment of the wb, hostage, NAP 360, QAD, NAP Apache, and a few more keep the arrow from falling off the rest onto the arm of the shooter. If the arrow shoots well for you but you don't have a containment rest, (one that holds your arrow in place) I would suggest a different arrow or rest. Just for safty issues!

Comment

Have a Hostage rest. The more I search it seems like a pretty common method. Thanks for a little piece of mind.

Comment

Spine, means how much the arrow will "flex" when shot. Arrows must be matched spine wise to the draw weight of the bow, length of the arrow and weight of the point. To weak of a spine and the arrow is not going to "straighten out" very well before it hots the target and getting BH's to fly right will be a problem. The correct spine or even a little on the heavier side of the spine will let the arrow flex just right, straighten out and will shoot BH's a lot better. The correct spine also lets the arrow absorb the energy of the bow better and the performance is better.

Comment

Cool info thanks. I'm shooting a bowtech sniper @ 60# with a 32" drawlength. The arrows are 30" Beman ICS Hunters @ 340 with 100 grain montec preseasons. Don't even know what the field points weigh. Didn't ever think to ask when I bought em. Lots to learn.
              Last edited by jbird77; 03-26-2010, 09:02 PM.

Comment

used to shoot a 3.5" overdraw...imagine having the whole rig about 2 inches behind your grip!!!!

ac

Comment

My broadheads come back onto the shelf. I have never figured out how you could possibly shoot your own finger even if you tried.

Comment

Originally posted by Adgerc15 View Post
                    used to shoot a 3.5" overdraw...imagine having the whole rig about 2 inches behind your grip!!!!

ac
                    Should have seen my PSE Carroll Intruder with a 6'' overdraw (had to pull the cables back to get it on ......................saftey first

But back to his arrows, You (or someone with some years) might want to check the spine chart on those arrows. You have a very long draw length, that translates into a very long arrow= weaker spine.

You might be right on.....but since your new to archery nows the time to know.

Comment

This is what the Beman site recommended at a Single or hard cam, 60# & 30" arrow.

Size Spine Model Weight
                      Grs/Inch Weight
                      @ 29"
                      360 0.360 ICS Energy 8.3 241
                      340 0.340 Beman 9.3 8.3 241
                      340 0.340 Team Realtree MFX 10.4 302
                      340 0.340 Classic MFX 11.2 325
                      340 0.340 ICS Hunter Elite, ICS Hunter & Bowhunter 9.3 270
                      340 0.340 ICS Camo Hunter 10.0 290

Comment

Thanks for info guys. Mud I had to go to Academy today and they had some Beman arrows. Looked on back of the box and saw all the charts for different conditions like you posted. I appreciate it. Going back to the local archery shop this week and do some more talking with them to make sure I'm set up right for my broadheads. Thanks again.

Comment

If you're new to archery/ bowhunting like you are, I'd really suggest you spend the little extra money and shop at the pro shop. The Easton Archery tuning guide is a really good overview of setting up bows in general and talks about spine and a lot of other things.

To answer your first question, my drawlength was 29" and I shoot a 31" arrow to keep the broadhead way-out in front of my knuckles on the left hand holding the bow. Murphys Law applies in Cali too, and I don't want something happening and my hand/fingers/ ligaments cut badly.

Comment

What Bill says is 100% correct. The only gripe I have about the charts is that I do not think that they take into account the newer model bows and some will take arrows spined more than what they suggest to get the correct arrow flight. that is why Bill said to spend a little more time and money at a pro shop and let them help you.

Comment

Working...
                            X