Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Warning for those of you who work out at a gym....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Warning for those of you who work out at a gym....

Gym parking lots are a favorite of the smash and grab thieves. Yesterday a lady parked across from me at LA Fitness in Katy got hit. They broke her back window and got her purse. That's at least three times that I've seen that at that gym. Thieves know that people don't want to bother with their wallets and purses at the gym, so they leave them in their vehicles. I don't care where you park, don't leave anything in view. You will eventually pay the price if you do.

Don't gyms have lockers where you can store you wallet and stuff??

Comment

I would hope that if it's that big of an attraction for theives that these establishments would protect their patrons and belongings better.

Comment

A few weeks ago a Good Samaritan saw a couple of guys looking in parked cars at one of the local Golds Gym. Police caught them in the act.

Comment

And yet another reason for me to not work out!

Comment

If anyone breaks into my truck while I'm at the gym, they are seriously screwed!! My gym is in my garage. I'll throw a plate at them. It will be a 2.5# due to my weakened state. Possibly a 5#.

Comment

Yeah I worked for a large gym throughout college. Break-ins were a regular occurrence. I've got no respect for low-life thieves.

I recently started working out at LifeTime Fitness and have been very impressed with the security. The guy drives around on a golf cart and in addition to his regular patrol of the lot, he watches you as you are getting into and out of your car. He doesn't just sit there and watch you either. He will drive past and stop 20 yds or so down the way and inconspicuously watch you over his shoulder using a hand mirror to ensure that you are the owner of the vehicle.

Comment

What we have here folks.....is called a Learning Experience

Comment

Happens all the time. And it’s not just gyms. My wife’s vehicle had that happen to us st Outback Steakhouse one night. All the stole was a bag full of snacks.

It’s so bad around here Pasadena PD put one of those mobile towers up at my gyms parking lot and a portable camera system at another.
                  Last edited by icetrauma; 07-10-2018, 09:16 AM.

Comment

If I go to the gym I take my keys, phone and a credit card. And thats it.

The La Fitness by my house has security, and they patrol the parking lot on a golf cart. Went to watch a movie in the same retail center as the gym one night. Saw the security guard, stop my a circle of teenagers, they passed a joint around a few times, then the guard went back to security monitoring.

Comment

Mine got broken into at a novelty store. It can happen anywhere.

Comment

Originally posted by Snowflake Killa View Post
                        Mine got broken into at a novelty store. It can happen anywhere.
                        Just pointing out where I've seen multiple incidents. Other places of concern are Academy, Bass Pro, and ****'s parking lots. Katy Mills in general is bad. They have one guy who rides around with a flashing light so the thieves can keep a good eye on him.

Comment

Honestly I dont think the punishment is near bad enough to even slow down these guys. I had coworker got his two week old truck at the gym last year. Also had my sons truck stolen last month from his apartment in Huntsville.

Comment

Originally posted by slicktricker View Post
                            I would hope that if it's that big of an attraction for theives that these establishments would protect their patrons and belongings better.
                            Most of them do to an extent with a security guard patrolling on a golf cart or whatever. Problem is a lot of these gyms are located in large strip centers and have parking lots full of cars with people constantly coming and going.

Not to mention, gyms are an easy target as you find that many people are either on their way to or from work and often have a wallet/purse or some other bag in possession.

Most gyms have lockers you can use if you bring your own combo lock. With that said, most gyms also put up signs specifically stated they are not responsible for valuables stashed in lockers. Puts people in a tough situation between leaving something stashed in vehicle or leaving it in a locker that said gym will take no responsibility over.

These types of actions could be curbed with stiffer punishment. I'm not talking about cutting off a thieves hand, but maybe take a finger tip. Why not?
                            Last edited by CaptainDave; 07-10-2018, 09:45 AM.

Comment

Same problem at walmarts or pretty much anywhere you go in the Houston area.

Comment

Working...
                              X