This will open a can of worms!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

This will open a can of worms!

Ok, it's spike and doe season. Book says "special season" does not say spike . Says "a horned buck with an unbranded antler". So, a 3 pt is legal. A 1x5 is legal.

But the book also says a point is described as being longer than 1 inch. What if it's a little forky with 3/4" forks? Or a slick main beam and a 3/4" brow? Are points and forks the same, or are they different?

Discuss

UNBRANCHED IS UNBRANCHED. The definition of a spike in Texas is a deer with at least one UNBRANCHED ANTLER. If it branches off into 3/4" forks, then it is no longer a spike. That's the way I understand it.

Comment

Originally posted by HUNTNETIME View Post
      UNBRANCHED IS UNBRANCHED. The definition of a spike in Texas is a deer with at least one UNBRANCHED ANTLER. If it branches off into 3/4" forks, then it is no longer a spike. That's the way I understand it.
      This ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Comment

Originally posted by HUNTNETIME View Post
        Yep

Comment

From Texas Parks and Wildlife website:

Buck Deer
          A deer with a hardened antler protruding through the skin. Deer with antlers completely covered in velvet (protruding through the skin) are also considered buck deer. A buck deer must be tagged with a buck deer tag or applicable tag or permit. For tagging purposes, all other deer are antlerless deer, regardless of sex.

Comment

Wait a minute! How much you paying for this information? Or you selling it to someone else?

Comment

For what it's worth (see what I did there? ), I thought both antlers had to be unbranched until I just re-read the regulations. I agree with the others, the regulations clearly state at least 1 (ONE) unbranched antler (no more than 1 point)...HOWEVER...the definition of a point says that if a protrusion is shorter than 1" it doesn't count. So in the case that you have two little 3/4" forked nubs it does not meet the definition of a point so it's technically not branched.

Click image for larger version

Name:	1.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	20.1 KB
ID:	24567592

Click image for larger version

Name:	2.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	18.0 KB
ID:	24567593

Comment

Wish you were closer

Comment

Originally posted by JonBoy View Post
                  For what it's worth (see what I did there? ), I thought both antlers had to be unbranched until I just re-read the regulations. I agree with the others, the regulations clearly state at least 1 (ONE) unbranched antler (no more than 1 point)...HOWEVER...the definition of a point says that if a protrusion is shorter than 1" it doesn't count. So in the case that you have two little 3/4" forked nubs it does not meet the definition of a point so it's technically not branched.

[ATTACH]942240[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]942241[/ATTACH]
                  Looks like we might have a winner

Comment

What are open cans of worms costing now days?

Comment

Dadgummit, please move to ATC

Comment

Originally posted by skeeter View Post
                        Ok, it's spike and doe season. Book says "special season" does not say spike . Says "a horned buck with an unbranded antler". So, a 3 pt is legal. A 1x5 is legal.

But the book also says a point is described as being longer than 1 inch. What if it's a little forky with 3/4" forks? Or a slick main beam and a 3/4" brow? Are points and forks the same, or are they different?

Discuss
                        If you want to push the envelope and risk it, go ahead. A spike is a spike is a spike. We all know what a spike is. Unbranched antler in unbranched, no matter how small the "branch". Why do people always want to question the rule book. It is pretty clear if you just read it and dont look for a loophole. Why would you want to shoot a deer with 3/4 inch forks in the late season when you didnt shoot that same deer during the general season? If you wanted him gone that bad, he should have been shot a long time ago.

Comment

Up.......

Comment

How much for the can opener?

Comment

Originally posted by COACH_EM_UP View Post
                              If you want to push the envelope and risk it, go ahead. A spike is a spike is a spike. We all know what a spike is. Unbranched antler in unbranched, no matter how small the "branch". Why do people always want to question the rule book. It is pretty clear if you just read it and dont look for a loophole. Why would you want to shoot a deer with 3/4 inch forks in the late season when you didnt shoot that same deer during the general season? If you wanted him gone that bad, he should have been shot a long time ago.
                              That is the point of the late season. So you can hunt for the big one all season and if you don't use your tag you can use it on a deer the TP&W thinks should be killed. If it's 3/4" it's unbranched and legal to kill.

Comment

Working...
                              X