Golf Cart not staying charged

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Golf Cart not staying charged

I have a two year old Club Cart that had new batteries installed. An ERIC battery charger came with it. I check the water levels every two weeks on the batteries. Just became a habit. The Cart gets used twice a day and makes a a three mile round trip. Over the last four weeks or so it was not used very often. I charged it for about seven hours on Sunday. My Wife drove it to her office and the red light came on. When she drove it back home after work the light came on again. I am not sure why it is doing this. I charge it regularly. Battery Charger? Batteries ( I hope not.....they look brand new still ). Cold weather?

First thing I would do is charge them up and then do a load test on all of them. That should tell you if they are bad. then go from there.

Comment

Perko switch may be needed

Comment

Put meter on the cart after charging..then let it set overnight off charger compare the two readings
        Its should be upwards of 38-39v
        It shouldn't drop but max 6v under load
        What amp hr did u buy? If u bought cheapie it may be that it is not high enough for distance

Comment

The cold effects the range too. When its below 50 it gets about 1/3 less range.

Comment

check each battery voltage 1 by 1. prob have 1 bad one bringing your overall voltage down.

Comment

Last edited by tstorm5; 01-16-2019, 07:26 AM.

Comment

7 hours isn't a very long charge cycle. Did you let it finish or stop it while still charging? If it was finished charging it sounds to me like you need a charger.

Comment

Check the water levels in your batteries. I top mine off every couple of weeks. You do not wan the cells to be exposed to air. Use distilled water only.

Comment

Check you cables real good. Sometimes they fail, I had to replace a couple on one of my carts.

Comment

Originally posted by Axe Man View Post
                      Check the water levels in your batteries. I top mine off every couple of weeks. You do not wan the cells to be exposed to air. Use distilled water only.
                      He said he checks them every two weeks.

But definitely check voltage on each battery 24 hours after charging. If a 36 volt, all 6 together should add up to 38.4 if charged all the way and good batteries. If a 48 volt I believe you should read around 60 volts for a full charge. What’s the date on the batteries? Should be a letter and a number on the terminals

Comment

Check the cable connections. If you have 1 bad connection you cart will not charge completely. Your charge is only as good as your worst battery.

Comment

Thanks for all of the feedback. I am going to check it out tomorrow.

Comment

Working...
                          X