No announcement yet.

is it Genetics or is it food ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanks for the read! We all do it but dang its hard to argue with science.....

Comment

Originally posted by KingsX View Post
      I like your confidence in Florida and Elgato. Florida has killed some 170+ deer in the past 100+ years of history but for making some sort of point it's reaching for straws I think in defense of Florida. Lol.
      Viva la Florida!

By the way those bigger deer killed in Florida are probably Gerogia or Alabama escapees anyway.
      Oh my, what a monster.

Comment

I am happy about starting this thread. Thanks goes out to several here, Uncle fish and Elgato and Buff and the others who posted. My goal was to get people thinking about how to improve on what they have available to them. I love food plotting it's work and money but it is very rewarding.

Comment

Originally posted by deer farmer View Post
          I am happy about starting this thread. Thanks goes out to several here, Uncle fish and Elgato and Buff and the others who posted. My goal was to get people thinking about how to improve on what they have available to them. I love food plotting it's work and money but it is very rewarding.
          Yessir, you done well.

Comment

Hate to see this thread die so quickly.

Comment

Originally posted by deer farmer View Post
              So the thread doesn't die, I'll ask a question to everyone on here.....

How many deer have you seen at 1 time in a plot you planted?

Comment

50+

Comment

About 20. Always in the summer and comprised mostly of bachelor group bucks. I don't like seeing a lot of deer in a plot.

Comment

I highly suspect that whatever is your weak link is the highest priority. In some heavily hunted areas, we have probably inadvertently breed bad genetics - age and food will not help much if the genetics suck.

Likewise, in some heavily hunted areas, we are not letting the deer fully mature. Without time and food, even the best genetics will not produce a trophy.

That said, I fully suspect that good food is necessary to get the most out of genetics and also to get the most out of time. Plus good food can increase numbers - offering more genetic opportunities.

Last year I hunted more than I had in years. Saw deer every hunt - but nothing legal to shoot (too small). Age and nutrition were my week points. Hogs savaged my protean feeder in the spring, so finally did some hog proofing of it last week. Will do my best to have protean out before the rut - and start the slow path of improving nutrition.

Protean is cheaper up front, more expensive up front was investing in plot equipment. Will invest more in food plots over the next year. And eventually hopefully cut the supplemental feed back.
                    Last edited by Mousehunter; 08-04-2015, 11:34 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by perfectstorm View Post

Eyes on-0 Camera-6 deer, 10 hogs Plot size..1/8-1/4 of an acre. One member on my lease can see my plot from his stand and he sees them all the time.
                      Last edited by lovemylegacy; 08-04-2015, 01:41 PM.

Comment

curious, but elgato, why don't you like seeing so many deer in a single plot? figuring I might have the answer but curious as to yours?

Comment

Originally posted by birddoggin View Post
                          curious, but elgato, why don't you like seeing so many deer in a single plot? figuring I might have the answer but curious as to yours?
                          I prefer to keep our overall population low. I want the overall habitat to offer as much nutrition as possible not just the plots. I don't want to see a lot of deer. I want to see a good showing of high quality bucks.
                          I only want enough does to ensure adequate recruitment.

Comment

Originally posted by elgato View Post
                            I prefer to keep our overall population low. I want the overall habitat to offer as much nutrition as possible not just the plots. I don't want to see a lot of deer. I want to see a good showing of high quality bucks.
                            I only want enough does to ensure adequate recruitment.
                            Sounds like to me you need to start killing more does.

Comment

Originally posted by perfectstorm View Post

With my own eyes, I have counted up to 15 bucks and does on plots that are about 4 acres or so. I know my neighbors don't plant much, if anything at all, so I get a pretty good draw late in the season and during the summer.

Comment

Counted 21 last year on a 2.5 acre plot in early December. No one else plants anything around me.

Had 54 hogs on it about 3 months ago.

Comment

Working...
                                X