Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Car help please

Mechanics:

I got myself in a little blind. I bought my son a car, so he can get his brother and himself to school. Unfortunately, a week later and the transmission started slipping. I can’t pay to replace it at this time, so was hoping someone could help walk me through a diagnosis or confirm what transmission guy will tell me. Any mechanics on here work on Acura/Honda or do you know someone?
    Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Buy a used one.

Comment

Originally posted by BrianL View Post
      Buy a used one.

Hoping it just needs something fixed in it.

Comment

2005 TL and I guess they have problems with the transmission.

Comment

Discover a wide range of Honda JDM engines at JDM Engine Zone in NJ. Upgrade your Honda's performance with our high-quality JDM parts and visit for prices!

just fyi. My son was redoing these and buying the small motor/tranny for civics for less than $500

Comment

May consider changing the trans fluid and filter. Don't know about a Honda but this worked on a ford.

Comment

Originally posted by Oleman View Post
              May consider changing the trans fluid and filter. Don't know about a Honda but this worked on a ford.
              This^^^

I had two vehicles in college that were having transmission issues and slipping. I had them flushed and filter/fluid changed obviously. Both of them never had another issue as long as I owned them.

Comment

If you end up paying to have it done check Texas Transmission. They're just around the corner from your house. The did the Transmission on a Honda for me and the rear seal for about $1300 I think.

Comment

Originally posted by Gunnyart View Post
                  If you end up paying to have it done check Texas Transmission. They're just around the corner from your house. The did the Transmission on a Honda for me and the rear seal for about $1300 I think.

Thanks Art. I was going to have the do the free diagnostic and bounce it off another mechanic to confirm. Momma wants to sell it ASAP. So need to fix and move on. Super low miles for the year.

Comment

You could try Lube Guard a couple times. It's often frees up a stuck valve if that's all that's wrong. (it didn't work in my case but it's cheap to try)

Comment

Are you sure it's the transmission and not a misfire? I get people all the time telling me about their transmission slipping and then when I look at it it's a misfire.

Comment

Originally posted by deerplanter View Post
                        Are you sure it's the transmission and not a misfire? I get people all the time telling me about their transmission slipping and then when I look at it it's a misfire.

Yes. I’ve dealt with that on my trucks in the past

Comment

Had the same issue with an 04 tl. Known problem for them. They don't have a serviceable transmission filter on them. So you can only do fluid changes. Without doing that regularly they are know to not last very long. They are also on the expensive end for a used or rebuilt transmission. Best price I could find was 2300. Good luck. I got rid of it.

Comment

Originally posted by Redbone View Post
                            Had the same issue with an 04 tl. Known problem for them. They don't have a serviceable transmission filter on them. So you can only do fluid changes. Without doing that regularly they are know to not last very long. They are also on the expensive end for a used or rebuilt transmission. Best price I could find was 2300. Good luck. I got rid of it.

Man I can’t even think of having to do that right now. Ugh
                            Thanks for the heads up.

Comment

My son has an older Honda Accord with auto, it was slipping in the lower gears.
                              Turns out, we drained the fluid and it was very bad so we dropped the pan and cleaned it all out, didn't look like anyone had every changed it. (We bought the car used). The pan magnet inside was covered in metal dust from when the car was new(normal). Put new fluid in it and he ran it for awhile and it seemed a lot better. A month later I suggested he change the fluid again, to see if any more gunk in there came loose. It was minimally dirty, normal, so we put new fluid back in. Its been trouble-free since, that was a year ago.

Comment

Working...
                              X