Lease boss

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Bisch View Post
    I have no problem with it.........as long as I know upfront, and can make my own decision if I want to be on a lease like that.

A long time ago, I went on a group hunt with some friends. After we were already at the hunt and paid, I found out that everyone except the guy who organized it paid. Felt like I had been cheated!

Bisch

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    Had this happen before and only found out because the land owner had made a comment about how it was a good deal that the guy who set it up hunter for free every time as long as he had X amount of paid hunters

Comment

I’d personally not want to hunt on a place where each hunting member didn’t play by the same rules.

same # of deer tags
      All stands set up as community stands
      guest privileges
      annual lease fee
      Accounting available for all to see
      ...and in a perfect world - 1 cash call/year to cover everything

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Try being on where you realize the L B, his kids, and grand kids are hunting for free and bringing their buddies on the weekends.

Comment

OP managed a lease for 12 years and thinks all there is to it is to "make a few phone calls". He has his own issues -

IMO any lease boss should pay their own way but that is up to each individual lease.

But if you were a lease boss for 12 years and all you did was make "a few phone calls" then you were not much of a lease boss. To do the job right it takes a lot of time and effort and much more than a few phone calls - period

Comment

Originally posted by walker1983 View Post
            I’d personally not want to hunt on a place where each hunting member didn’t play by the same rules.

same # of deer tags
            All stands set up as community stands
            guest privileges
            annual lease fee
            Accounting available for all to see
            ...and in a perfect world - 1 cash call/year to cover everything

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
            You sound rich or blasé

Comment

Originally posted by CrookedArrow View Post
              I had a conversation with my bud out in East, Texas. We were chatting about leases, members etc

He has 3 leases in the Huntsville area and his main lease in the hill country. He pays top dollar for his leases.

The interesting thing he was telling me is more so in east Texas, it is common for the lease boss/manager to pay nothing for his lease.

He splits the total price among his members, excluding himself and in a nutshell they pay for him.

Sounds chicken $%^& to me but he says some of those guys have the mentality that is one of their perks. I am not sure how common it is anymore. Interesting though.
              Ironically, this is the way it is in many cases but you, the member, know nothing about it

Comment

5 Total members including me. I pay the same as everyone.

Many more members than that and no way I’d do it for free.

Comment

After reading all the posts, I now remember why I got off my last lease. When I did tell Patron I was getting out of the lease he threw a fit. Called me names and got real upset. Even the LO was mad at me. But dang, I aint never been around a bunch of grown men that was always mad about somethin or was always broke. Some of them never made a work day and abused the lease. I still dont understand it. Arguing about a guest or danged old doe

I had been on the lease a long time, worked my azz off never asked for anything, always paid my dues early, made every work day, cooked, cleaned , bought items and never asked for money back. This aint no lie. I just like to be busy doing something. I pretty much set myself up for failure, I should have been like the smart ones and not do a danged thing unless I was forced.

Finally, the patron told me I would have to share my stand and feeders with his grandson and I was done. 8 years earlier, I took the worst spot on the lease and cleaned it up, killed off tons of pricklys, put a nice stand up and feeders. Relatives and guests can cause lots of issues if they aint set right in the beginning.

After I was gone the LO called me and asked me back, patron called me and wanted me back. I aint never did tell them why I left. Have not spoke to them folks in 5 years. So, I guess what I'm a saying if you got good guys on your lease, you better take care of them. That road goes two ways. A good hunter will make a lease boss job easier. I reckon a feller that is a good lease boss and has to babysit 50 year old men has earned a paycheck of some sort.

And here I was thinking on getting on a lease again

Comment

Originally posted by ACCURACYINC View Post
                    Our lease boss has been on our lease going on 35 years and his cost is spread out among the other 8 members. I have no issue with covering the cost. He has earned it IMO.
                    And he kills the big deer.. **** Him!!

Comment

What’s the price? Ok, that’s what I’ll pay, or I’ll pass.

The lease boss business isn’t something I have any interest in being in, so I don’t need to know what goes into the sausage.

He is, in a sense, in business for himself.

He got the deal, deals with the landowner and deals with the whiners.

God bless him.

What do I care what his markup is?

I don’t.

Comment

Originally posted by Radar View Post

Not me. I'll never get back on 1. I've gone strictly public about 8 years ago and love it. I'm actually hunting rather than sittin on a bait pile. No baiting on public here. I'm free to move around and hunt diff woods. No food plots, no hauling corn. Just some gas, which u burn on the lease anyway, and some scouting time. I love to scout as well

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by CrookedArrow View Post
                          Ok cool. Why not disclose it though to all members? What is YOUR reason. Doesn't matter what I think.

Are you scared if they know they may not get on? Why is it "no one needs to know"?

I think some guys would balk at the thought of others paying their way. Curious on your thoughts as well as others as to how a lease boss gets free financial range??

I already got the phone calls, texts, LO issues etc. So what else goes on besides the free annual lease to the Boss??
                          I was mainly trying to be funny in my first post, but all the stuff I mentioned was pretty much true. In east Texas there can be a lot to it. Way more than phone calls. I'll give you some examples. Our lease is 2k acres and we have 15 members. It's private land.

The landowner has a timber guy that comes through a few times a year just to look things over. We have oil and gas folks in and out. They all go through me, sometimes I have to be there, sometimes I don't depending on what they're doing. Then there's logging contractors, and they're a PIA. We keep the roads up so I have to hire somebody to come out with a dozer or grader or both and be there while they work every summer, and that usually takes 2-3 days in itself. The bills come out of the lease fund but I pay them. I keep the insurance up, buy the hunting lease license, etc.

I mow the camp every couple weeks, schedule the work weekends, etc. During deer season my phone rings constantly. When you have 15 people in a club, even if they're good guys disputes come up and I always get a call. A few of our members are older, and have hunted here for years, so when they need help moving something heavy, tracking a deer, skinning a deer, filling feeders, I always help. And I woyuldn't have it any other way because they're my friends and I'll always help anybody I can.

Money is always an issue and a few people always pay late. It's just life, and if they're a couple weeks late I'm not gonna kick them off the lease as long as it's legit, because again they're my friends too. I've pulled money out of my savings before to cover the landowner when it was time to write the check. So on a big club there's a LOT to it. I pay my dues like everybody else, but if some guys don't I completely get it. My dad leased this place before me and it's been in my family for over 40 years. The landowner will only deal with me, and I can promise you if I got out of this lease today this tract would never be leased for hunting again. So if it weren't for me they wouldn't have a lease at all. And I don't mean to sound arrogant with that statement it's just how it is is from a good 40 year plus relationship between two families. Lots of places in East Texas are the same way.

Comment

Originally posted by Radar View Post
                            After reading all the posts, I now remember why I got off my last lease. When I did tell Patron I was getting out of the lease he threw a fit. Called me names and got real upset. Even the LO was mad at me. But dang, I aint never been around a bunch of grown men that was always mad about somethin or was always broke. Some of them never made a work day and abused the lease. I still dont understand it. Arguing about a guest or danged old doe

I had been on the lease a long time, worked my azz off never asked for anything, always paid my dues early, made every work day, cooked, cleaned , bought items and never asked for money back. This aint no lie. I just like to be busy doing something. I pretty much set myself up for failure, I should have been like the smart ones and not do a danged thing unless I was forced.

Finally, the patron told me I would have to share my stand and feeders with his grandson and I was done. 8 years earlier, I took the worst spot on the lease and cleaned it up, killed off tons of pricklys, put a nice stand up and feeders. Relatives and guests can cause lots of issues if they aint set right in the beginning.

After I was gone the LO called me and asked me back, patron called me and wanted me back. I aint never did tell them why I left. Have not spoke to them folks in 5 years. So, I guess what I'm a saying if you got good guys on your lease, you better take care of them. That road goes two ways. A good hunter will make a lease boss job easier. I reckon a feller that is a good lease boss and has to babysit 50 year old men has earned a paycheck of some sort.

Wow.....

Comment

Working...
                            X