No announcement yet.

Lapping Scope Rings

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I bought a kit a while back. It was not expensive. It lasts forever. It literally takes just a minute. With all the many variables I want to make sure this isn’t one of them. It’s too easy to do. The rings I’ve seen have not been perfect. I think it’s good to do.

Comment

The best thing in the kit in my opinion is the straight shaft. I picked up a piece of 1" shaft off a job to use for scope alignment checks. I had a friend who had a setup with bearings set up to check shaft runout. My 10'long piece had less than 0.001 using my Mitutoyo
      0-5-0 dial indicator. I had already miked it and it was less than .001 smaller or larger than 1" anywhere I checked. I felt like I scored pretty good as this was just a cut off from a cold rolled piece of shaft stock bought to replace a 7' long blower shaft. So I try to take care of it, not drop and dent. To me using eyesight I use it on all rings before mounting any scope to make sure all is straight before putting the scope in and torqueing. Years ago I had a new ruger that the rings it came with wouldn't get close. The shop I bought it from gave me another set and we installed them right in the shop. If I would have installed them, I probably would have wrecked the brand new Monarch scope I was mounting. They were far enough out I don't believe lapping would have been possible.

Most of the time I keep extra shaft stock to use as soft drift punches. So I felt like I scored with this piece.

Comment

Being a guy that builds engines its all about getting a straight round hole in the cylinder . I turned down several aircraft aluminum bars to use to get the rings straight with each other , then sit the scope in look at it it should be spot on . put bar back in mount the bar first with use of dykem you can see if the ring is an issue ..

Small bore mic will show this as well .

What are you using to lap the ring ,, compound grit and what tooling

Comment

MF, c'mon bro. Just got up the road a ways and buy some LaRue rings. They guarantee no lapping is needed.

Comment

Originally posted by 35remington View Post
            MF, c'mon bro. Just got up the road a ways and buy some LaRue rings. They guarantee no lapping is needed.
            thats too easy ha ha .

Comment

If I were putting a red dot on an AR and swapping it back and forth with a fixed 3x NV scope using QD mounts, I might think, "meh... good enough."
              I can guarantee you that LaRue's mounts reveal uneven coating removal when lapped.

Comment

Originally posted by meltingfeather View Post
                If I were putting a red dot on an AR and swapping it back and forth with a fixed 3x NV scope using QD mounts, I might think, "meh... good enough."
                I can guarantee you that LaRue's mounts reveal uneven coating removal when lapped.
                Lol get ur azz off that high horse it don’t fit ya too good.

Comment

You could let him lap your rings and see if there is coating variance and then you'd both be on the same page

Comment

Lapping Scope Rings

No high horse, just different uses... all their one-piece scope mounts are QD for ARs. I also don’t optimize seating depth or worry too much about +/- 0.1 gr. of charge weight when reloading for my AR. Is that uppity too?

Kind of funny coming from someone who’s telling me what to do with my time and equipment. Why don’t you worry ‘bout your **** self? I didn’t suggest you do anything and don’t care what you choose to do with your time.
                    Last edited by meltingfeather; 01-18-2019, 08:48 PM.

Comment

No high horse, just different uses... all their one-piece scope mounts are QD for ARs. I also don’t optimize seating depth or worry too much about +/- 0.1 gr. of charge weight when reloading for my AR. Is that uppity too?

Kind of funny coming from someone who’s telling me what to do with my time and equipment. Why don’t you worry ‘bout your **** self? I didn’t suggest you do anything and don’t care what you choose to do with your time.
                      "One-piece scope mounts"?

Reading comprehension: how does it work?

R-I-N-G-S-T-H-A-T-D-O-N-T-S-U-C-K:https://www.larue.com/products/larue...iece-qd-lt123/

Comment

R-I-N-G-S-T-H-A-T-D-O-N-T-S-U-C-K:https://www.larue.com/products/larue...iece-qd-lt123/

OK so their two/piece rings are QD too. That reinforces my point. How many long range rifles do you see equipped with QD scope mounts? I just googled them and the scope mount page I saw was all one-piece.
                        If caps lock and tired old insults are all ya got, I’ll leave you to your own devices.
                        Best of luck to you.

Comment

Wait is what you’re saying that my Seekins rings suck?
                          Gotta chuckle out of that one.

Comment

General rule of thumb is 80% coating removal... that’s what I do.
                            Glad to see someone else only going that far. I feel that I get lazy not going 100%.

Comment

Great lapping kit and I don't know about the vise but it should do the job

Comment

Working...
                              X