Hawaii - Day 5 - Waipio Valley and Luau

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hawaii - Day 5 - Waipio Valley and Luau

Well, I am sitting in a frigid server room in London baby sitting a few servers during some peak times and so far things are going smooth enough to give me time to post these up.

On the 5th day of our vacation, we are now on the Big Island and we didnt have a whole lot planned for the day. We slept in a bit and ate at an incredible hole-in-the-wall called "Hawaiian Style Cafe." If you are ever in the Waimea area you have to eat there for bfast one day.

Next stop... Waipio Valley

This first picture is from about 3/4 of the way down. The VOG (Volcanic Fog) was super thick, so in the pictures it looked like a super foggy morning even though it was mid afternoon. It was a struggle to fight the VOG and washed out, flat tone pictures. The locals call it "1 mile down, 3 miles up" for a reason.

This was about 1/2 down, before I had fully understood the torture I was about to put my lazy body through. The decline is around 30 degrees on average with some sections pushing 40. Its not an angle my legs were used too so it was tiring even walking down hill.

Everything was green and damp

A few families still live down at the bottom of the valley.

The largest waterfall in Hawaii is in this valley, but the VOG was too bad to get any good pictures of it.

This isnt the best picture in the world, but the girls loved the jungle horses. You can see how tall the under growth is here. They ended up petting them before it was done.

We finally made it down to the black sand beach, and that made everything worth it. The sand was incredible to feel. It was MUCH lighter than normal sand, and I would sink 3-4 inches into it when I would walk. Very soft on the skin. Most of the other black sand beaches were not comfortable to walk around without shoes of some type.

This was my favorite for the day...

After beach time (you couldnt really swim there... powerful) we hiked back up the side of the valley. Its a memory I've tried to block so I'll just leave it at that.

OK Luau time! This was pretty good. The food was amazing, the entertainment was cheesy but good.

Luke looking laid back

The girls were more excited about the free drinks than the food

Stay away from the blue ones.

Another fun one to expose...

This is another favorite from the day...

In the middle of the Luau Anna reminded me the sun was going down so Luke and I bailed for a bit to take sunset pictures. This was probably the best sunset of the entire trip from a color standpoint.

I am too tired to proof read (about 6 hrs of sleep in the last 44+ hrs) so if something doesnt make sense I will clarify later

Thanks for the trip.

Comment

thanks for the memory...I spent 32 days in Hawaii back in Jan. of 99 and 7 of those days were on the Big Island...the walk down into that valley was fun but going back up was something for the books...I was there on a college class and we spent nearly the whole day down in that valley...we followed creeks all the way to the back to the water falls, the houses were interesting down in there...the beach there is where they filmed the final scene in the movie Waterworld, when they finally find land...thanks for the pics

Comment

Great narrative and pics! Kind of made me think I was there... until I looked out the window!

Comment

Those are great pics

Comment

beautiful pictures Kevin, thank you for sharing your trip

Comment

Another nice series Kevin. Thanks for taking us along.

Comment

makes me want to get on a plane & go. very nice

Comment

Working...
                X