Rainy South Texas Buck

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rainy South Texas Buck

With an additional few weeks of anticipation built up after postponing my trip to South Texas back at the start of December, I headed South to the Cold/Wet Brush country on Jan 1 to hunt with Split Arrow on his families place in McMullen Cnty. The deer were loving the cold/wet weather and the rut was kicking so the action was pretty intense. We did not let the weather keep us from a great weekend outdoors and I was able to take my 2nd biggest whitetail to date with a bow. We had estimated this buck at 132" and 136" respectively but he surprised us as we tallied up the numbers. The final total was 144 1/4" with a busted matching split brow tine on his right side. The blind I was set up in was tucked up into the brush so the first sighting I had of this buck was when he stepped into my shooting lane at about 10 yards. I slowly retrieved my bow from the ground and prepared for a shot and he had moved to 14 yards and had several other deer feeding behind him on the hand corn. There was a group of about 15 doe heading my direction and I knew that if they made it there it was going to be almost impossible to get a shot off at this buck without another deer being behind him. Luckily the other deer that were behind him cleared just about the time all the does showed up and I was able to put a Ramcat through his heart . I watched him fall within 10-15 seconds,inside of 20 yards from where he stood when I shot him.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	buck1.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	76.1 KB
ID:	25076748

Heck ya! Nice one!

Comment

Beautiful!!

Comment

Very nice. Congrats!

Comment

Congrats!

Comment

Congrats. Great looking buck.

Comment

Good work!! I love when those rainy weather naysayers are proven wrong!!

Comment

Great Buck.

Comment

good looking buck. congrats

Comment

Congrats! Are bucks still banging heads and chasin' down that way? I will be hunting the Daughtery unit next week. Just curious.

Comment

Great buck Codie! Congrats

Comment

Great deer and story, congrats.

Comment

Originally posted by .270 View Post
                          Congrats! Are bucks still banging heads and chasin' down that way? I will be hunting the Daughtery unit next week. Just curious.
                          They were very much fighting and chasing this past weekend

Comment

Congratulations.

Comment

Nice buck. Congrats.

Comment

Working...
                              X