Elbow Issues and Shooting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Elbow Issues and Shooting

I have "gun stock elbows." When I hold my arms out straight they'll bend the wrong way.
    I went to Bow Zone (5 stars) today and had a little work done on my bow which resulted in having to sight it in. After 20 or so shots my elbow was killing me. Plus I had that 20 yard pin floating all over the place. Had to quit.
    I think when I get to full draw my elbow is locking in bent and I get shaky.
    I stopped in a Walgreens and CVS on the way home to look at elbow bandages that might keep my arm straight but none had any support structure.
    Anyone else have this elbow issue or brace suggestion.
    I had them bottom out my 60 lb bow to 43.

shorten your draw..your elbow should not be locked straight.. you should have a very slight bend in your elbow when shooting

Comment

If that's anything like tennis elbow, you should go see your Dr to get a round of steroids. Another good option is to go see a chiropractor, which should also be able to help out with joint issues.

Comment

If it is tennis elbow, they make a wrap that goes above your elbow that may help. Also, ice it after you shoot to try to get some of the inflammation out. Good luck.

Comment

Just shot 10 more in the back yard. Definitely muscular issues in the top of the fore arm.
          But, noticed I'm anchoring way back to keep the bow from breaking over. I'm adjusting the release over an inch shorter but I don't understand how reducing the poundage would change the draw length.
          It's a 2005 PSE Venom 60# down to 43#. Anchor seemed fine at 57# to 52#.
          I've had the draw length changed in the past from 28 to 27". Now this!
          Last edited by Bluesman; 01-04-2014, 05:12 PM.

Comment

I have a torn ucl in my left elbow. I have the same issues you do. I shortened my draw length to keep A bend in that elbow. You can get a heavy duty brace for your Elbow thats alot like the leg braces For knee problems. They cost a ton but you may find a used One on craigslist. I worked with my trainer to build up my Arm and shoulder muscles which helped Tremendously.
            Good luck and just exercise it alot!

Comment

Originally posted by Aggiehuntress View Post
              I have a torn ucl in my left elbow. I have the same issues you do. I shortened my draw length to keep A bend in that elbow. You can get a heavy duty brace for your Elbow thats alot like the leg braces For knee problems. They cost a ton but you may find a used One on craigslist. I worked with my trainer to build up my Arm and shoulder muscles which helped Tremendously.
              Good luck and just exercise it alot!
              10-4 on the exercise!
              will have to go back to the shop!

Comment

Working...
              X