Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Colorado Elk hunting

Originally posted by cxc02e View Post
    Look at your bow . . . some have a simple adjustment on the cam that allows you to change it to 65% let-off.

Mine comes with mods for the different let offs. And that also doesn't have anything to do with what I was saying. I was stating that most people probably don't think that there is a regulation like that on let off.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Fcasthtr; 02-20-2017, 07:56 PM.

Comment

Been hunting the Uncompahge since 2002. Packed one bull out on my back. Have never gone back with out a mule. Take high quality game bags. They will buy you valuable time to get the meat out. It will take more trips and time than you think. I hang it bone in in the shade until I get ready to pack out. I don't like the way it wads up when it is deboned. We learned it can hang several days even when temps are a little worm. Hope this help. Good luck!

Comment

I hunted unit 62 out of Delta several times with luck. Tough hunt. Last time I went it got a bit crowded so have not been back. I hunt Mt now. As far as fighting altitude sickness I recommend like the others said, take it easy the first few days, hydrate, be well conditioned, and don't overdo it. Some steep country. Good luck!

Comment

I hunted west of Denver last yr, that was first time I have ever been up there, everyone backed out on me last min so I still went to try and shoot one with my bow. I work at a plant so I worked out be constantly going up and down the tanks and units and jogging.
          I did not have a problem while there just took my time and stayed hydrated, last thing I wanted was to get sick while up there by myself.
          plan on going again this year for bow season, have some family that want to go with me this year. so should be fun.

Comment

Originally posted by Mohawkman View Post
            Been hunting the Uncompahge since 2002. Packed one bull out on my back. Have never gone back with out a mule. Take high quality game bags. They will buy you valuable time to get the meat out. It will take more trips and time than you think. I hang it bone in in the shade until I get ready to pack out. I don't like the way it wads up when it is deboned. We learned it can hang several days even when temps are a little worm. Hope this help. Good luck!
            What kind of bags do you have?

I have the Alaska bag, what are the opinions? I've seen the poly ones, $80 or so. Any better than the Alaska?

I didn't get a sighting to use mine last year

Comment

Originally posted by trophy8 View Post
              Heading to unit 85 on private land in October with a rifle this year. Been working my tail off on my bowflex x5. Anybody used an altitude mask with any success for training?
              Luckily where you're going to elevation isn't too extreme, but there still ain't a ton of oxygen up there! Never used one of the masks, but I tried out MtnOps altitude pills and they seemed to really help as far as altitude sickness goes.

Comment

Originally posted by JustinJ View Post
                Luckily where you're going to elevation isn't too extreme, but there still ain't a ton of oxygen up there! Never used one of the masks, but I tried out MtnOps altitude pills and they seemed to really help as far as altitude sickness goes.
                I'm trying to be as prepared as I can. I'm not planning on shooting the first bull I see. I want the biggest bull we can find and I don't want to be the weak link. Larry says there's some really nice bulls there. I hope he's right.

Comment

Advil works good too

Comment

As a beginning bow hunter that is limited to the red sands and mesquite trees of S Texas, a spot and stalk in the mountains is a dream for me. Best of luck to all this coming season.

Comment

Originally posted by BlackHogDown View Post
                      As a beginning bow hunter that is limited to the red sands and mesquite trees of S Texas, a spot and stalk in the mountains is a dream for me. Best of luck to all this coming season.
                      It can be yours for 3 easy payments of $999

Comment

A DIY elk hunt on a OTC unit cost me around a grand. $636 for a tag and rest for gas. bout as cheap as it gets. I couldnt think of a better way to spend a grand in september. hunt of a lifetime, get after it while your able bud.

Comment

To build off of what TJ just said:
                          Plan Your Own Elk Hunt for $1,000 by Randy Newberg I hear it year-after-year. “Goin’ elk hunting?” “Nope, didn’t draw. You?” “Nah, didn’t draw either. [...]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Rugged country. I sure bet that it is beautiful though.

Comment

Awesome pics. going on a New Mex archery mule deer hunt in Jan. Cant wait. Really want to do an Elk hunt soon

Comment

Looks like we're going to Elk country again this year....looking forward to it. I think we will be be further south though (Still Colorado).

Comment

Working...
                                X