How many of you................

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How many of you................

................that shoot instinct, raise your bow while drawing vs raising your bow and then start your draw??

Most of the time raise then draw... sometimes when hunting it don't work out that way

Comment

That's a good question. I draw and raise my bow up on the animal at the same time. I'm sure thus is wrong according to books and experts but that's how I shoot my animals.

Shawn

Comment

I draw from the hip.

Comment

I raise my bow while drawing.

Comment

I started out with a "swing draw" which works quite well for some. I soon found out though that for me, the entire draw sequence is much more consistent and repeatable if I raise my bow arm into position first.

Comment

I don't even pay attention to that part of it, but I think that I raise and then draw.

Comment

It depends on the situation. if I need to make a quick shot, I shoot instinct. otherwise I raise then draw

Comment

Either.

Comment

Originally posted by Deb View Post
                    I draw from the hip.
                    Me too!

Bisch

Comment

I do both swing draw & straight draw. Just depends on the position & circumstances I am shooting in at the moment.

Rick

Comment

Thanks for the replies guys.
                        The reason i asked is while in a seminar with Fred Asbell last week at the P&Y Club covention, he talked about and demostrated raising your bow while you draw.
                        I havent shot my recurve in the last few years but back when I was, I hit a slump in acuracy and just seemed to get worse instead of better. When he started talking about the technique a light went on in my head. Dad Gum it boy!!!......
                        I havent broken out the old Bob Lee yet but I have gotten excited to do just that. I actually think I started drawing with my arm raised, vs drawing while raising my arm.
                        I think what was happening in my mind was saying "let go" because i was pointed correctly, but my body knew I wasnt at full draw............. and things started fighting each other.
                        I "think" that as you raise your arm, your mind will know when it is pointed correctly and it will stop, and you will release.
                        Does all this make any sense to anyone other than me?
                        Your thoughts??
                        Looking forward to shooting the recurve again.

Comment

I can not speak to your theory but I learned to shoot a bow by raising it as I draw and that is how I am comfortable doing it. When there is an obstacle right in front of me and I have to point my bow out in front of me and then draw, it always kind of messes me up.

The whole key to getting good with a stick is to use your back and be consistent.

Bisch

Comment

I do both depending on what feels comfortable to me on a particular day. Could be why I'm not as consistent as I want to be sometimes with my shooting.

Comment

After years away from trad I've started in again and when I begin to raise my bow aiming my bow hand at the target I start the draw bending my knees at the same time while achieving anchor, and positioning my elbow for a release that results in hitting my 2" circle at 20 yds. It is a GREAT feeling! Then I nock my next arrow and miss by 8" because I've buggered up some part of Fred Asbells routine LOL

Comment

Working...
                              X