No announcement yet.

S O S - My Best Buck (with Video)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What a hunt ... just the way I like 'em ... short and sweet. No pun intended.

What exactly did you hit that made him drop like a bad habit? Spine?

Maybe you said it in the video; I don't have audio on this computer.

Comment

Great buck and video........

Loved the javalinas, looked like 2 cartoon characters standing there!

Congratulations!

Comment

Wow, that is a great video and great buck.

Comment

Awesomeness. Congrats and thanks for sharing.

Comment

Originally posted by Texastaxi View Post
            What a hunt ... just the way I like 'em ... short and sweet. No pun intended.

What exactly did you hit that made him drop like a bad habit? Spine?

Maybe you said it in the video; I don't have audio on this computer.
            I hit him about halfway up the body, several inches below the spine. Of course, I was aiming for lower, but he dropped some at the sound of the shot. It's hard to tell from the video, but the angle was quartering away.

Mitch thought the arrow might have deflected off the ribs in an upward angle and gotten into the underside of the spine. At first, I didn't think so. But the more I look at the video, the more I think his theory might be correct.

I edited out a lot of the aftermath in the interest of good taste. He did act like his spine was somehow damaged, but the shot took out his lungs, which is what did him in. Usually when you hit lungs, they run off and thrash about somewhere else until they die. This was really no different except that I had a front row seat to it. One of those things that you know happens just about every time but you'd still rather not witness it up close.

So while all this was happening, I was trying to get a second arrow in him, but he wasn't giving me a good angle to the vitals and I didn't really want to stress him further by getting out of the blind since I knew the shot I had already made was lethal. Eventually, I did get a second arrow in him from the blind. But by that time he was just about gone anyway.

I try to edit my videos to leave out any unnecessary gory details. Especially since the video may be seen by non-hunters who don't really understand these things.

Comment

Beautiful!

Comment

Great hunt, great buck...

Curious what he scored, and how wide was he... I think he is wider than I thought at first cause his body is NOT small...

Comment

hell of a deer and shot

Comment

Nice work

Comment

Thats just a monster and getting all that on tape is amazing. Hats off!!

Comment

Great video and awesome buck! Thanks for sharing.

Comment

Originally posted by catslayer View Post
                          Great hunt, great buck...

Curious what he scored, and how wide was he... I think he is wider than I thought at first cause his body is NOT small...
                          He was entered in the contest in Dilley and they scored him at 162" even. That's gross score and obviously with the broken brow tine. His inside spread is 23 5/8".

Crunching their numbers, his net score is 153 7/8" with the broken tine.

Had his left brow tine been intact and exactly matched his right in length, he would have scored 167 5/8" gross and 165 1/8" net.

Comment

Originally posted by Snakelover View Post
                            He was entered in the contest in Dilley and they scored him at 162" even. That's gross score and obviously with the broken brow tine. His inside spread is 23 5/8".

Crunching their numbers, his net score is 153 7/8" with the broken tine.

Had his left brow tine been intact and exactly matched his right in length, he would have scored 167 5/8" gross and 165 1/8" net.
                            meant to ask are you going to fix it . . . . i would. There are pics of him with the brow and it matched perfect.

Comment

Super! Very much enjoyed the video.

Comment

Originally posted by txdukklr View Post
                                meant to ask are you going to fix it . . . . i would. There are pics of him with the brow and it matched perfect.
                                I've decided to keep him as is. I guess I just want to remember him broken brow tine and all.

Click image for larger version

Name:	txdukklr_002.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	17.9 KB
ID:	24416963

I cropped ^^^this^^^ in case you wanted it. The software I use does a better job of downsizing the file without distortion than most.

Comment

Working...
                                X