Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > The Other Side of the Ranch (Firearms)

Old 02-20-2019, 10:54 PM   #501
ColinR
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Roosevelt/Sonora

Quote:
Originally Posted by OKFF610 View Post
It comes with a 20 MOA rail but if I donít wanna use the rail I wanna know the base that fits it. I want Talley bases and rings.
Im doing the tier 2 and was told to get the Talleys that are made for the Stiller tactical with recoil pin.

https://www.talleymanufacturing.com/...-w-recoil-pin/

I'm going with the Leupold VX6HD 3-18x50 and ordered the medium's
ColinR is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old Yesterday, 08:31 AM   #502
Buzzsaw
Four Point

Hunt In: Frio County

Went with another Nightforce SHV 5-20X56, Low Ultralight rings, the deal I got was too good to turn down

Swarovski is my favorite, I have this Z6 on my Altus 6.5 Creedmoor, Once I decide on my "load" I will run ballistics and call Swarovski for another custom ballistic turret. For LR hunting, I have found they are VERY effective. Pictures below show my McWhorter 6.5 Weatherby out to 600 using turret settings.

Swarovskis click value is different, perfect for hunting. I have contacted Swarovski about making a turret marked for Mil/MOA markings, they only do it on the X5

Buzzsaw is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old Yesterday, 10:54 AM   #503
Txhuntr2
Eight Point

Hunt In: Kinney County

Quote:
Originally Posted by robie View Post
Anyone else looking at putting a Leopold Mark 5 on this setup? I like the new MOA offering.

Sent from my SM-G892U using Tapatalk
I will be using the Mk5HD 5-25x56 on my build. I handled the scope at Collectors Firearms the other day and itís super light. Itís gotten good reviews as far as Iíve found. I may buy a second for my 300wm as well. Also, Leupold gives a deal to military/vets/LEO if you qualify. I was torn between it and the Vortex Razor AMG but the leupold wins out due by being a better value on a great scope.
Txhuntr2 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old Yesterday, 11:23 AM   #504
ATXArcher
Six Point

Hunt In: Burnet

I seriously considered the Mk5HD. I have a MK6 with a TMR reticle, but I have been frustrated with how much extra it costs to get one of these with an Illuminated Reticle. I ended up going with the Vortex Razor HD. I know it weighs a lot more than the MK5, but I figured with the weight savings of the Tier 1, I could afford to go heavier on the scope!
ATXArcher is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old Yesterday, 01:28 PM   #505
OKFF610
Nubbin' Buck

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColinR View Post
Im doing the tier 2 and was told to get the Talleys that are made for the Stiller tactical with recoil pin.

https://www.talleymanufacturing.com/...-w-recoil-pin/

I'm going with the Leupold VX6HD 3-18x50 and ordered the medium's
Ok thanks for the info!
OKFF610 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old Yesterday, 01:57 PM   #506
Txhuntr2
Eight Point

Hunt In: Kinney County

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATXArcher View Post
I seriously considered the Mk5HD. I have a MK6 with a TMR reticle, but I have been frustrated with how much extra it costs to get one of these with an Illuminated Reticle. I ended up going with the Vortex Razor HD. I know it weighs a lot more than the MK5, but I figured with the weight savings of the Tier 1, I could afford to go heavier on the scope!
How often do you use the illumination feature hunting? Iíve considered whether itís worth the added cost. I always tell myself I wouldnít use it much and batteries would keep going out. Etc.
Txhuntr2 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old Yesterday, 02:00 PM   #507
ATXArcher
Six Point

Hunt In: Burnet

I use it a lot. Most of my rifles these days have illumination, especially if Iím using a first focal plane scope to hunt with. If I end up turning the magnification down to the lower end, the illumination really helps out early and late.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
ATXArcher is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old Yesterday, 03:05 PM   #508
Balcones_Walker
Eight Point

Hunt In: Wherever I can

I have a Razor HD Gen II on a lightweight rifle and it's the perfect overall weight for a rifle chambered in a bigger cartridge, not too heavy at all.

I also love the Leupold VX5HD, it's perfect for a lightweight package on a smaller cartridge like a PRC.
Balcones_Walker is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top