camera comparison

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

camera comparison

This may have been beaten into the ground before but I’m asking the experts. I want to jump into the DSLR arena and I’m considering 2 cameras
    1. Nikon D90
    2. Canon – EOS Digital Rebel XSi 450D.

They appear to have very similar options. Which one is better for a DSLR beginner? Is there a website out there that has a side by side comparison? The couple of places I’ve been able to look at an actual camera around here are usually manned by a 19 yr old college student that has no clue. Thanks in advance for the help.

This is a really hard question to answer as many of us are loyal to the brand we use. However, I will tell you how I made the choice. I was a Canon user for many years and a number of years ago it was time make a big upgrade and this was before DSLR's were even out yet. Keeping an open mind although I was a devout Canon guy, I went to the camera shop and played around with the Nikon and Canon bodies that were in the same class I was looking to purchase. After about 30 minutes, the Nikon felt better in my hand and that is the only reason I made the switch. So, what feels ergonomically better in your hand and is intuitive with how you use it can make all the difference in your experience in the field. I still love Canon but now have quite a bit invested in Nikon gear so I don't see myself switching.
    One thing about it, you can't make the wrong choice as either is a great camera.
    Good luck!

Comment

KenRockwell.com: Photography, Taking Better Pictures, Recommended Cameras, Canon, Sony, Nikon, LEICA, Fuji & More Camera and Lens Reviews

Detailed reviews of most, if not all Canon and Nikon cameras. Also, after you make the purchase, he has a lot of detailed user guides in everyday terms. Great for a beginner like myself.

Comment

thanks for the info, I'll have to check out the web site.

Comment

If your budget can afford it look at moving up to a Canon XXD. I'm by no means an expert but I did A LOT of research/looking/tire kicking before making my decision. Now, I was sold on Canon from the start because my brother-in-law is a semi-pro sports photographer (he makes money off of it but is isn't his primary job) and he shoots Canon. That means I can borrow his stuff whenever I need to. With all of that being said, I had it narrowed down to the XSi or the 50D. I decided on the 50D for several reasons but one of the main reasons is that the XSi felt like a toy in my hand compared to the 50D. I know that they both take great pictures and I don't know nearly everything there is to know about photography to maximize an XSi. I just liked the way the 50D held in my hand and I like the thought of growing into my equipment and not being limited by it in a year or two. That is just my opinion.

Now, you can find some KILLER deals on used 40D and 50D cameras right now. There are alot of folks out there right now who are trying to pay taxes and are selling toys to do it!

Comment

I have a Nikon D90 and I love it.... I don't know too much about Canons but nevertheless I think you will have a great camera regardless. Try them both out.

But I do love my D90.

Comment

Put them both in your hand -- these cameras can feel really small in your grip, making them hard to stabilize.

Comment

Ken Rockwell certainly knows his stuff, but he's as big a Nikon pimp as you'll find. I attempted to point out an error in his 50D review. Having just checked, I see his misinformation is still there. I just believe he is biased, as he should be. He loves Nikon.

Grain of salt.

Handle them all. You'll quickly figure out what you want. I don't think there is that much difference in them at the level you're shopping.

Comment

Originally posted by Casey View Post
                  Ken Rockwell certainly knows his stuff, but he's as big a Nikon pimp as you'll find. I attempted to point out an error in his 50D review. Having just checked, I see his misinformation is still there. I just believe he is biased, as he should be. He loves Nikon.

Grain of salt.

Handle them all. You'll quickly figure out what you want. I don't think there is that much difference in them at the level you're shopping.
                  When I was looking for a new camera I stumbled on Ken's site and got the feeling he was very biased towards Nikon. I kept reading other reviews from actual customers and then found a great deal on my Canon 50D.

I did hold the Nikon's and the Canon's and the 50D just felt a little better to me.

You will hear good and bad about each. I personally LOVE my 50D and have NO regrets at all about dropping that kind of money on it!

Comment

Sorry to potentially steer anyone in the wrong direction. To be fair, I only read his Nikon reveiws, but did take note that there were a lot of Canon reviews as well. On the advice of a couple people who i know personally and whose opinions I value, I chose to go with Nikon from the start.

Comment

Good choice, I'm sure you won't be disappointed well maybe one little bit of disappointment in the fact that it's name is Nikon LOL JK

Comment

side by side

Like Casey said, at this level, quality is pretty even... however, what jumps out at me is the Canon 450D goes for $614.19 on the street while the D90 is $903.47. The nikon is a little bigger and heavier (if those things matter to you). The nikon will also shoot video...

whatever you run with, you will be pleased because cameras are just plain cool.

Comment

*cough*Pentax*cough*

What?

Comment

Man thats a tough one to answer hmmmm...............

Comment

thanks for all the help. It looks like I need to find a good camera shop.

Comment

Working...
                              X