Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Pushbutton2 View Post
    Link to podcast?

I field dress mine and head to processor......

They also talk about new regs for the airbow and big bore air rifles

Comment

This will help answer some questions, for others like me who aren't sure what the differences are:
      All meat benefits from some amount of aging before being sold and consumed. In the days after slaughter, enzymes go to work on the muscle tissue, breaking it down and making it tender. Chicken needs a few days, while pork and lamb needs a week. Beef can be aged for quite a bit longer.

Dry-Aged Beef
      For dry-aging, whole sides of beef or primal cuts are hung in open air at a temperature just above freezing and left to age for several weeks. Not only are the enzymes working on the muscle tissues during this time, but the meat is also slowly dehydrating. This concentrates the meat and changes the texture and flavor.

The benefit of this process is very tender meat with an intense flavor. The downside is that you lose quite a bit of the meat due to moisture loss, which decreases the yield and increases the cost per pound. Also, the surface of the meat usually needs to be trimmed away before the beef is portioned and sold, resulting in further loss of volume.

Wet-Aged Beef

Wet-aging is a relatively recent technique that developed along with advances in plastics and refrigeration. In this process, cuts of beef are vacuum-sealed in plastic and shipped to the market. The aging takes place in the 4-10 days between slaughter and sale while the meat is in transit.

The enzymes still have time to tenderize the meat enough to make it acceptable, and the biggest plus is that there's no weight-loss in the meat due to dehydration. Wet-aging also costs less for the manufacturer since the meat doesn't need to be stored or monitored, ultimately resulting in a lower consumer cost.

Which is Better?

Honestly, it's a matter of preference. The biggest difference between the two kinds of meat is in the flavor. Dry-aged beef can be described as having a roasted, nutty flavor, while wet-aged beef can taste slightly metallic and lacks the same depth of flavor.

Unless the beef is specifically labeled as dry-aged, the meat you buy in the store has almost definitely been wet-aged. Most of us have come to associate the flavor of beef with wet-aged meat, to the point that dry-aged beef might not taste as palatable anymore.

You should definitely try some dry-aged beef if you have the opportunity. It costs a lot more and is harder to find, but it's worth knowing that there are other options out there.

Comment

I never put mine in ice water looks nasty don't like the taste.

I dry age mine at least 7 days at a temp that is just above freezing.

Comment

I clean and skin mine, then leave hanging in a walk-in cooler around 38 degrees. Usually 7-10 days, up to 14 depending on my time to/from the ranch. Outside turns purple and moldy, but take a knife and strip that part off and you're left with tender venison as good as 30-day dry aged beef.
          However processor told me it doesn't do any good for sausage making, so in future I'm going to quarter and then leave the rib cage hanging in the cooler to age with the backstraps and loins

Comment

Originally posted by DimmitCo View Post
            I clean and skin mine, then leave hanging in a walk-in cooler around 38 degrees. Usually 7-10 days, up to 14 depending on my time to/from the ranch. Outside turns purple and moldy, but take a knife and strip that part off and you're left with tender venison as good as 30-day dry aged beef.
            However processor told me it doesn't do any good for sausage making, so in future I'm going to quarter and then leave the rib cage hanging in the cooler to age with the backstraps and loins
            I had a friend in Arkansas that used ti do it this way. Said the meat was amazing.

Comment

Someone bring me 2 full back straps, each aged a different way and I will let you know which is best. }

Comment

dry age is better IMO

Comment

Originally posted by Krivoman View Post
                  always do about 4 days. ICe drain, ice drain.. Makes a monster difference in taste. We eat venison at least 3 days a week. Usually hamburger. Tacos, spaghetti, enchiladas etc.. Dont ever buy ground meat at the stores. haven't for years..
                  I add ice and a couple three beers, drain, and repeat. Last cycle I add a pint of Jack Daniels.

Comment

Wet aging deer or beef??!!

I am going to try the wet aging. It’s something I can do at home.

I have been eating the wet aged beef from Mason as stated in start of thread. Ate some sirloin that you would of thought was a tender ribeye.

I always found sirloins to be a tougher or denser cut.

Questions:

Wet aged is just natural juices or simply added water?

My standard vacuume sealer does not like wet substances much, is there a better method or equipment set up for this?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                    Last edited by J-Fish; 12-12-2017, 10:13 PM.

Comment

I was just thinking about this earlier tonight.

Killed a bunch check of deer a month ago. We killed deer Friday and Saturday, deer hung in the walk-in with hide on until Sunday when we de-boned everything. Meat was in game bags and in coolers with ice above and below and the drain open and cooler was propped up so it could drain better. Processed meat that Monday-Friday with the steaks being cut Monday and Tuesday night. I ate some of those backstraps last week and they were hands down the best deer steaks I've ever eaten.

Killed an Axis at Thanksgiving. Had her skinned and boned out in a few hours. I left the backstraps in a cooler the same way over night before I cut steaks and packaged. Just ate some tonight and was surprised that it wasn't more tender.

I'll definitely be cooler aging my meat as long as possible from here on out.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by J-Fish View Post
                        I am going to try the wet aging. It’s something I can do at home.

I have been eating the wet aged beef from Mason as stated in start of thread. Ate some sirloin that you would of thought was a tender ribeye.

I always found sirloins to be a tougher or denser cut.

Questions:

Wet aged is just natural juices or simply added water?

My standard vacuume sealer does not like wet substances much, is there a better method or equipment set up for this?

Wet aged is vacuumed sealed and let it soak in its own juices

Comment

Originally posted by J-Fish View Post

My buddy told me a trick of flash freezing the meat prior to sealing so the liquids solidify just enough to allow a good seal.

Ive always considered marinating as aging. First deer steak recipe for marinating recipe I was taught is simply italian dressing and shiner bock. Best and most tender deer Ive cooked was the aforementioned recipe...however I forgot it was in the fridge...for two weeks. The meat had turned red to grey. Fantastically delicious.

Even simpler...Put meat into ziploc...salt and spice as desired...refridgerate...and get excited for next weeks steak. Irridescent grey is good.

Comment

Ok guys, since my first post I have been reading and listening to the podcast mentioned earlier. I have made a pretty good investment in a vacuum chamber and as of tonight, started aging my own beef.

Cant wait to share success or failure.

Check out the new machine.

Comment

Looking forward to these

Comment

That's a sweet vac machine.

You'll need to dry age those keys a long time before they're palatable.

Comment

Working...
                                X