Thoughts on this custom bolt......

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thoughts on this custom bolt......

I am wanting to have the bolt on my new Bergara rifle fluted and the guy that will be doing it offers to have the case head placed in the end of the bolt knob. It looks great while its nice and shiny but I'm afraid over time the brass will tarnish and get that greenish look and not look good any more. What's y'alls thoughts? Anyone ever done something like this? Anyone ever have luck using a sealant on brass to prevent it from tarnishing?
    Attached Files

That's pretty.

Comment

I like it brah, if it tarnishes just wipe it clean

Comment

Just use one of the nickel plated cases.

Comment

A little Brasso and a few minutes every so often will keep it shiney.

Comment

I have one that he did for me several years ago and still looks good, i woulndt worry to much about it.

Comment

I would be more concerned about a live primer sticking out the end of the bolt handle. I think a good cleaner and wax like Fastwax should help prevent it from tarnishing and oxidizing.

Comment

Originally posted by ra61hunting View Post
                I would be more concerned about a live primer sticking out the end of the bolt handle. I think a good cleaner and wax like Fastwax should help prevent it from tarnishing and oxidizing.

Do you really think that’s a live primer??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by ra61hunting View Post
                  He soaks the primers in oil before installing them on the bolt head. Supposed to kill the primer

Comment

I like it!

Comment

I have made 100’s of knobs in every shape/styles/size that you can imagine. Lots of people want cartridge heads in the end, some even furnish their own one that meant something to them. Yes I have primers in jar of oil I use on them to deactivate them. Personally I like them tarnished a bit so the head stamp will contrast better with the shiny brass.

Comment

Originally posted by muzzlebrake View Post
                        Just use one of the nickel plated cases.
                        this.

Comment

Thanks for the input guys. I'm gonna go ahead and do it.

Comment

Originally posted by sendit View Post
                            I have made 100’s of knobs in every shape/styles/size that you can imagine. Lots of people want cartridge heads in the end, some even furnish their own one that meant something to them. Yes I have primers in jar of oil I use on them to deactivate them. Personally I like them tarnished a bit so the head stamp will contrast better with the shiny brass.

Very nice!

Comment

Clear air dry cerakote

Comment

Working...
                              X