"Lucky 7"... hits the dirt (164)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

"Lucky 7"... hits the dirt (164)

My Dad has been hunting a buck called Lucky 7 for the better part of this season. This buck was nicknamed Lucky 7 because he had a right G3 that was bent over in the shape of a 7 (he would later earn the Lucky 7 nickname in another way). Three weeks ago we made a ground blind by cutting a small hole into some thick mesquite and other brush. Both of us got into the blind before daylight the next day, Dad with the bow and myself with the camera. To our surpise Lucky 7 was the first deer in. We were about 20 yards from the feeder and it was too dark to shoot. We could both could identify the deer through our binos in the low light by his unique G3. Dad waited until it was light enough to film and drew his bow, the buck stood facing us and would not turn, dad had to let down. Finally he got right at 23 yards. Dad drew, I was over his shoulder with the camera, and the buck was broadside, he released the arrow and it went high right through the backstraps. The buck bolted. No blood, no arrow, and no deer. Needless to say Dad was sick. We looked at the video and were confident that no vitals were hit and the buck would be ok. Fast forward to this weekend. Friday night we were both in the same blind and the deer came back out, you could see where dad had shot him 3 weeks earlier and the wound was practically healed over, he did not offer a shot. Saturday, the next morning I told Dad he was on his own and I went to a tree stand about 500 yards away, Dad was in the same ground blind. He did not see lucky 7, but I did! He stood 12 yards from me right under the ladder stand and then went off to chase does. Unbelievable... We knew he lived in the area, so Saturday night Dad went back to the ground blind with a friend of ours to film. The buck came in about 4:00pm walked 50 yards from the blind and layed down for 15-20 min. He finally got up circled and came in, Dad made a 20 yard shot through both lungs and watched him fall in sight. Everything was on film. Lucky 7's luck had finally ran out. We thought we would go low 150's but he scored 164 4/8 26 in main beams 4 in mass and 14 scoreable points. Congrats Dad what a hunt.
    Attached Files

Nice Buck....Congratulations

Comment

Great Hunt, Great Story! Good Job!

Comment

What a hoss!

Congrats,

Bisch

Comment

Buck was 6 1/2 years old

Comment

Congrats to him! Sure would like to see that video!

Comment

Very nice buck, congrats.

Comment

"txbassin" I have got tons of footage from my hunt and this buck. I will have to sort through everything and get it together. I will have some time after Thanksgiving to put something together.

Comment

great buck, congrats

Comment

That's a great buck, congratulations to yall!

Comment

great looking deer. congrats!

Comment

great looking deer. congrats

Comment

Awesome deer / great story / can't wait to see the video.
                          Congrats

Comment

Great buck, congrats to dad!!!

Comment

Great buck guy's way to go

Comment

Working...
                              X