Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Game Management/Age & Score/Trailcam Pics

Old 10-10-2018, 02:23 PM   #101
BIG BONE
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tshelly View Post
We have a couple sections in northwest Oklahoma. We are slowly getting there and trying to get to yalls level. We hope to install acres of food plots and greens like y’all do as well as add in the Free choice feeders. Our main thing is getting some equipment up there. We do have a 300 acre wheat field in the center of us but we have lots of sage country we’d like to get 5-10 acre plots in. Our goal will be a 200” deer one day. 178” is the top so far.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
heck yea, i bet yall have some brusiers up there. i would love to have that big of a plot dead center of our ranch. good luck this year
BIG BONE is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-10-2018, 04:43 PM   #102
1PinWonder
Nubbin' Buck

Hunt In: Yantis (Wood & Hopkins county)
Default Tips??

Hey everyone,

I'm traveling to Lampasas tomorrow to hunt for the weekend, first hunt being tomorrow evening. I'm coming from Northeast Texas and the hill country is a bit of a different ball game. Me and one hunter in my party are experienced bow hunters, however the other 2 have never gotten a bow kill, one of which has never shot anything period. This is a fairly pricey trip and I'm looking for any tips/tactics or anything that might increase chances of success. place is north of lampasas on 281, low fenced, 100 acres, 4 feeders, 2 bow stands meaning 2 of us will have to build brush blinds, hence my concern (for the others, not me), also a tad bit concerned with the likelihood of rain.

-How early is "too" early for doe urine.
-also I've read a few places saying to "tickle" rattling horns together early season, some say that's a horrible idea. what's y'all's take?

Thanks in advance.

Last edited by 1PinWonder; 10-10-2018 at 04:47 PM.
1PinWonder is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-10-2018, 06:36 PM   #103
Mexico
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Old Mexico, Centerville Tx

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1PinWonder View Post
Hey everyone,

I'm traveling to Lampasas tomorrow to hunt for the weekend, first hunt being tomorrow evening. I'm coming from Northeast Texas and the hill country is a bit of a different ball game. Me and one hunter in my party are experienced bow hunters, however the other 2 have never gotten a bow kill, one of which has never shot anything period. This is a fairly pricey trip and I'm looking for any tips/tactics or anything that might increase chances of success. place is north of lampasas on 281, low fenced, 100 acres, 4 feeders, 2 bow stands meaning 2 of us will have to build brush blinds, hence my concern (for the others, not me), also a tad bit concerned with the likelihood of rain.

-also I've read a few places saying to "tickle" rattling horns together early season, some say that's a horrible idea. what's y'all's take?

Thanks in advance.
Talk about a thread hijack! WTH? all good bubba, I couldn't get passed very pricey and 100 acres with 4 hunters . Good luck!
Mexico is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-10-2018, 08:56 PM   #104
Regular7
Four Point

Hey Mexico, sent you a pm
Regular7 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-11-2018, 11:56 AM   #105
txwhitetail
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Irion Co

Quote:
Hey everyone,

Thanks in advance.
4 hunters on 100 acres you’re definitely on the wrong post!
txwhitetail is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-11-2018, 03:10 PM   #106
Mexico
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Regular7 View Post
Hey Mexico, sent you a pm
Returned
Old 10-11-2018, 03:20 PM   #107
drop dead fred
Pope & Young

Hunt In: TX, NE, MEXICO

I commend the guys that do it the “hard” it’s 10x the satisfaction granted i don’t own/lease a huge ranch, but i hold steady to 5.5+ and next year may go to 6.5+ (extremely hard in etx). These native deer don’t get their respect imo I’ve grown several good deer over the years, and grew a buck that could’ve pushed the typical archer book record for the state. It can be done but no one likes slow hard processes. We’re in a caffeinated world that wants instant results.
drop dead fred is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-11-2018, 05:09 PM   #108
Mexico
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by drop dead fred View Post
I commend the guys that do it the “hard” it’s 10x the satisfaction granted i don’t own/lease a huge ranch, but i hold steady to 5.5+ and next year may go to 6.5+ (extremely hard in etx). These native deer don’t get their respect imo I’ve grown several good deer over the years, and grew a buck that could’ve pushed the typical archer book record for the state. It can be done but no one likes slow hard processes. We’re in a caffeinated world that wants instant results.
GREAT GREAT post bubba... couldn't agree more...
Old 10-11-2018, 05:14 PM   #109
150class
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Uvalde, Boerne

Quote:
Originally Posted by txwhitetail View Post
4 hunters on 100 acres you’re definitely on the wrong post!
Lololololol

1pin- you should be able to start your own thread and get more replies and answers
150class is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-11-2018, 05:29 PM   #110
BolilloLoco
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Old Mexico, Washington County & Harris County

Quote:
Hey everyone,

Thanks in advance.
4 guys on 100 acres low fence with Huge Natives?
I would be putting together a deer drive for sure.
BolilloLoco is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-12-2018, 11:53 AM   #111
Throwin Darts
Pope & Young

I bought a section of land last year in north Texas. My place and the place next door were both for sale at the same time and leased out to about 10 guys between the two. The place next door to me sold a couple of weeks after mine. I think the lease hunters shot every deer that was 4 and up while the place was for sale because we had next to no mature deer year 1.

I started talking with the new neighbor and he's a bow hunter, wants to grow big deer, and is the only one hunting his place. So we paired up and started sharing pics and agreed to not shoot young deer.

I then went and leased another 400 acres next to us. Then ended up meeting the neighbor on my other side who is leasing 1280 acres . We are now sharing pics and talking about any bucks before they are shot.

So in total we are right at 3,000 acres between the three of us. We didn't shoot a single trophy buck last year. Myself and the neighbor that owns his place fed about 22,000 pounds of protein this year. Our first year to do so and the deer took to it well. We didn't shoot any trophy bucks last year and I doubt we will this year either. It will take some time to reestablish the upper age class. On camera this year you can already notice a difference because there are 4 year olds everywhere whereas last year we had just a few 4 year old and up deer. Going from 10 guns looking for a "trophy" to a couple of guys not in a hurry to shoot anything helps a lot.

This next off season the focus is on water. While we fed the heck out of protein, this summer's drought showed me just how easy it is to run out of water. 2 out of my 4 tanks went dry and the other 2 were just about dry when this rainy streak that we are on started. Next year there will be water stations all over the ranch and eventually I'll have some more tanks dug and they will be deeeeeep. I'll continue to feed protein.

Age, food and water will be my focus. Oh and killing pigs. I hate pigs.
Throwin Darts is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-12-2018, 11:58 AM   #112
Mexico
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Throwin' Darts View Post
I bought a section of land last year in north Texas. My place and the place next door were both for sale at the same time and leased out to about 10 guys between the two. The place next door to me sold a couple of weeks after mine. I think the lease hunters shot every deer that was 4 and up while the place was for sale because we had next to no mature deer year 1.

I started talking with the new neighbor and he's a bow hunter, wants to grow big deer, and is the only one hunting his place. So we paired up and started sharing pics and agreed to not shoot young deer.

I then went and leased another 400 acres next to us. Then ended up meeting the neighbor on my other side who is leasing 1280 acres . We are now sharing pics and talking about any bucks before they are shot.

So in total we are right at 3,000 acres between the three of us. We didn't shoot a single trophy buck last year. Myself and the neighbor that owns his place fed about 22,000 pounds of protein this year. Our first year to do so and the deer took to it well. We didn't shoot any trophy bucks last year and I doubt we will this year either. It will take some time to reestablish the upper age class. On camera this year you can already notice a difference because there are 4 year olds everywhere whereas last year we had just a few 4 year old and up deer. Going from 10 guns looking for a "trophy" to a couple of guys not in a hurry to shoot anything helps a lot.

This next off season the focus is on water. While we fed the heck out of protein, this summer's drought showed me just how easy it is to run out of water. 2 out of my 4 tanks went dry and the other 2 were just about dry when this rainy streak that we are on started. Next year there will be water stations all over the ranch and eventually I'll have some more tanks dug and they will be deeeeeep. I'll continue to feed protein.

You'll grow monsters, this is the exact managment practice that it takes to turn an average place into something special. I bet in 2 years you'll have deer that before you only dreamed of!! Good luck and keep us posted on your progress!

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk
Old 10-12-2018, 04:07 PM   #113
bukkskin
Banned!!!

Hunt In: Mexico

There is a guy on another forum, Brett Holden, that is growing a ton of native low fence monsters.
He does the same thing as you, age and mucho nutrition.
bukkskin is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-12-2018, 05:05 PM   #114
jshouse
Pope & Young

Hunt In: NE Texas

Quote:
Originally Posted by bukkskin View Post
There is a guy on another forum, Brett Holden, that is growing a ton of native low fence monsters.
He does the same thing as you, age and mucho nutrition.
wish we could hear a little about their nutrition program.... is there any info on it out there?
jshouse is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-12-2018, 05:07 PM   #115
jshouse
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Throwin' Darts View Post

that sounds like a great start, i hope it works out for you guys and congrats on the land, thats freaking awesome.
Old 10-12-2018, 09:20 PM   #116
bukkskin
Banned!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jshouse View Post
wish we could hear a little about their nutrition program.... is there any info on it out there?
Yeah, just Google it.
All they can eat pellets and cottonseed and let them get to 10 or 12 yrs old before ya shoot.
That's what I got out of it.
Old 10-12-2018, 09:38 PM   #117
doghouse
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Mills County

We try to but with 10 to 8 year old grandsons it hard. Dad's are doing a great job.
doghouse is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-12-2018, 10:59 PM   #118
Grayson
Pope & Young

Hunt In: North Texas

Quote:
wish we could hear a little about their nutrition program.... Is there any info on it out there?
lolololololololol
Grayson is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-12-2018, 11:27 PM   #119
jshouse
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grayson View Post
lolololololololol
Old 10-12-2018, 11:29 PM   #120
Chew
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Leon County

Yep. I have 21 acres in Leon County. I've been pouring the corn all over. Average buck has increased from 90" to 100" in 5 years. Hopefully I can get a P&Y before I'm too old to draw a bow.
Chew is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-13-2018, 01:46 AM   #121
bukkskin
Banned!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chew View Post
Yep. I have 21 acres in Leon County. I've been pouring the corn all over. Average buck has increased from 90" to 100" in 5 years. Hopefully I can get a P&Y before I'm too old to draw a bow.
Lol, that is the real deal for most people on this site.
Old 10-13-2018, 10:28 PM   #122
Mexico
Pope & Young

Quote:
Yeah, just Google it.
All they can eat pellets and cottonseed and let them get to 10 or 12 yrs old before ya shoot.
Yup I know the pasture and plan. I've said my .02 in years past about DD.
Old 10-14-2018, 12:17 AM   #123
bukkskin
Banned!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mexico View Post
Yup I know the pasture and plan. I've said my .02 in years past about DD.
Are you still down 85, or you moved to a different area??
Old 10-14-2018, 07:26 AM   #124
Mexico
Pope & Young

Quote:
Are you still down 85, or you moved to a different area??
Low fence in Hildago Coah and south of Guerrero Coah.

Old 10-14-2018, 05:01 PM   #125
DallasCoon12
Four Point

Hunt In: Kerr County, México

I am. 2nd year in Coahuila Mexico near Villa Union.
DallasCoon12 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-14-2018, 05:02 PM   #126
DallasCoon12
Four Point

I’m new to the website. Where would I post pictures of deer to get help aging them etc.
Old 10-14-2018, 05:05 PM   #127
Mexico
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by DallasCoon12 View Post
I’m new to the website. Where would I post pictures of deer to get help aging them etc.
Management thread Age/Score, trailcam pics. Good luck in Villa Union, one of my good friends owns a ranch there. He's also on here, his name is Coahuila, but he rarely gets on.

Old 10-14-2018, 05:13 PM   #128
DallasCoon12
Four Point

Quote:
Management thread Age/Score, trailcam pics. Good luck in Villa Union, one of my good friends owns a ranch there. He's also on here, his name is Coahuila, but he rarely gets on.

Thanks!
Old 10-15-2018, 04:10 PM   #129
Mexico
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chew View Post
That's funny! My dad has 22 acres in Leon County no joke! He's owned it 5 years and the only person allowed to hunt it is my 15 year old daughter, last year the first deer was killed off it when she shot a 4 yr old 8 pt.
Old 10-15-2018, 07:45 PM   #130
Aggieivy06
Six Point

Hunt In: South Texas

Quote:
This is the funniest thing I've read all day!
Aggieivy06 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-21-2018, 01:01 AM   #131
Mex. Bowhunter
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Tx. / Mexico

Quote:
Originally Posted by coop2564 View Post
I have had a HF 1000ac place with native deer Frio co. for 7yrs now. Protein feed at rate more than biologist recommended rates and winter wheat. Largest buck we have killed to date is 159 5/8 gross, another 159 3/8 some 157,156,154,153 etc. we are letting the bucks get to 7.5, but see little to no jump from 5.5 to 7.5 even in mass. Native brouse hurts us on good years...deer do not eat as much protein on good brouse years and always have smaller racks as a result. Biggest racks come on dry years when they have to eat protein 10-15" more. We also kill a lot of 7.5 -8.5 yr old 6, 7 and 8pt than score 120's, are avg. buck scores about 135'' thats 7.5yo all Frio co deer. Some of are bucks weigh over 200lbs highest 228lb. We have had some bucks that had best rack at 5.5 some at 6.5 but I think its more a product of health and food that year than age. We had typ 12 at 5.5 that we think would of scored 167 thought for sure next yr he would break BC but next yr was only 153 still a 12, next yr 155, he is 8.5 now and looks only 153 but is 13pt and has lost tine length and mass. Moral of story is native deer have a ceiling.Age and food aren't the answer. Doesn't mean at some point a 170 wont hit our dirt, just shows how rare they are without genetic help.
Sounds Like You Have to Many Deer or Have Brush Issues. No Reason You Shouldn't Be Growing better Deer Than That. I've Grown Deer in the 160s At Home where 100s are the Avg. Trophy. Have You Ever Tried to Get a Figure on How many Deer you Have on the ranch and What It Will Support?
Mex. Bowhunter is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-22-2018, 03:50 PM   #132
Encinal
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Spite of Wife's Complaints

Isn't everyone who hunts low fence looking for huge native low fence bucks?
Encinal is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-22-2018, 03:56 PM   #133
Mexico
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Encinal View Post
There's a big difference in looking for one and trying to get lucky, and growing your own and improving your herd...but hey I'll take luck any day. Sure is alot easier.

Old 10-22-2018, 04:20 PM   #134
rattler7696
Ten Point

Hunt In: South Texas

I just saw this discussion. We have 16,000 acres in Webb County and have been managing it for close to 18 years. We fed protein and Cottonseed. We are MLD and have never had any induced genes on our place. We are surrounded by several other big ranches and they hunt also. It is not easy, and Lord know’s it take a lot of patience, time and hard work. But the rewards are so worth it. Taking free range low fence bucks in the 160-200’s get all of us excited and proud that we are able to do it. Most of our bucks are 7-1/2 or older when we harvest them. Some of our bucks have had the best set of horns at 9-1/2. Mother Nature has a lot to do with it also. I know we are the exception to the rule, but we feel a sense of pride when we grow a Book Deer using native genetics.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
rattler7696 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-22-2018, 04:27 PM   #135
Mexico
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by rattler7696 View Post
I just saw this discussion. We have 16,000 acres in Webb County and have been managing it for close to 18 years. We fed protein and Cottonseed. We are MLD and have never had any induced genes on our place. We are surrounded by several other big ranches and they hunt also. It is not easy, and Lord know’s it take a lot of patience, time and hard work. But the rewards are so worth it. Taking free range low fence bucks in the 160-200’s get all of us excited and proud that we are able to do it. Most of our bucks are 7-1/2 or older when we harvest them. Some of our bucks have had the best set of horns at 9-1/2. Mother Nature has a lot to do with it also. I know we are the exception to the rule, but we feel a sense of pride when we grow a Book Deer using native genetics.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Can I get an amen?

Old 10-22-2018, 04:35 PM   #136
Grayson
Pope & Young

Quote:
Yes. I've been pondering that question since this thread started.
Old 10-22-2018, 04:42 PM   #137
Mexico
Pope & Young

Quote:
Yes. I've been pondering that question since this thread started.
Apparently you missed the word GROW in my opening post.

Last edited by Mexico; 10-22-2018 at 04:48 PM.
Old 10-22-2018, 04:46 PM   #138
ethic1
Eight Point

Quote:

No if they were they wouldn’t be shouldn’t immature bucks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
ethic1 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-22-2018, 07:55 PM   #139
Huntingfool
Spike

Mexico PM sent
Huntingfool is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-22-2018, 07:56 PM   #140
Mexico
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huntingfool View Post
Mexico PM sent
Returned bubba...

Old 10-23-2018, 06:19 PM   #141
Huntingfool
Spike

Quote:
Yeah, just Google it.
So you are saying all we have to do is buy this protein and cottonseed and put it out and then wait til they are 12 years old? I gotta try this!
Huntingfool is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-23-2018, 09:28 PM   #142
Grayson
Pope & Young

Quote:
Apparently you missed the word GROW in my opening post.
No, I saw it. Pretty sure that was the implication in Encinal’s post.

But anyway, yes, I am looking to grow HUGE low fence native whitetails.
Old 10-23-2018, 09:36 PM   #143
Mexico
Pope & Young

Quote:
No, I saw it. Pretty sure that was the implication in Encinal’s post.

But anyway, yes, I am looking to grow HUGE low fence native whitetails.
Alrighty then.... well good luck
Old 10-23-2018, 09:55 PM   #144
160class
Ten Point

Hunt In: Catarina, TX

We have a very large piece of property, that is mostly LF, the bordering pastures do have some Hf. So for us we really can control it in a sense as we don’t need to worry about neighbors shooting deer as the only place that hunts is HF and the rest isn’t hunted.

We maybe shoot 4 trophy’s a year which is nothing on a place our size and do our best to manage it. We feed a lot of protein and cotton seed every year as well as corn and let them get old, like die in the brush old and never shoot trophies really! We regularly see 150s and 160s and see several 170s a year

Last edited by 160class; 10-23-2018 at 09:57 PM.
160class is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-23-2018, 10:00 PM   #145
Mexico
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by 160class View Post
We have a very large piece of property, that is mostly LF, the bordering pastures do have some Hf. So for us we really can control it in a sense as we don’t need to worry about neighbors shooting deer as the only place that hunts is HF and the rest isn’t hunted.

We maybe shoot 4 trophy’s a year which is nothing on a place our size and do our best to manage it. We feed a lot of protein and cotton seed every year as well as corn and let them get old, like die in the brush old and never shoot trophies really! We regularly see 150s and 160s and see several 170s a year
Sounds like a little piece of heaven! You're a lucky man to have that situation. I'd imagine you guys might have a giant or 2 roaming your brush
Old 10-23-2018, 10:10 PM   #146
160class
Ten Point

Hunt In: Catarina, TX

Quote:
Sounds like a little piece of heaven! You're a lucky man to have that situation. I'd imagine you guys might have a giant or 2 roaming your brush
Just a couple of them! Very lucky and enjoy every second of it!
160class is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-23-2018, 10:11 PM   #147
brokeno
Ten Point

Hunt In: Gonzales & Young Co and anywhere

Age, genetics and groceries. Deer have to have genetics, have to live to be mature and need groceries to get big In the old days before protein it was estimated a Boone and Crockett scoring buck was a one and a million deer. That was before protein now with protein and supplemental feeding a Boone and Crockett deer can be grown in almost every county in the state. Dang I miss the good old days before corn and supplemental feeding
brokeno is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-23-2018, 10:28 PM   #148
Mexico
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by brokeno View Post
Age, genetics and groceries. Deer have to have genetics, have to live to be mature and need groceries to get big In the old days before protein it was estimated a Boone and Crockett scoring buck was a one and a million deer. That was before protein now with protein and supplemental feeding a Boone and Crockett deer can be grown in almost every county in the state. Dang I miss the good old days before corn and supplemental feeding
Dang trail cameras have ruined it some for me... I remember when opening day was like Christmas morning, you just never knew what was going to show up. Now they seem like such an intricate part of managment it would be hard to go backwards, but I do miss those days..
Old 10-23-2018, 10:57 PM   #149
Grayson
Pope & Young

Quote:
Alrighty then.... well good luck
Thanks! Had pretty good luck so far.
Old 10-25-2018, 12:38 AM   #150
DimmitCo
Four Point

Hunted 7000+ acres of prime south TX low fence country for the last 12 years. Shot some giants, passed on more, and culled out over 100x more than the trophies we took. Some years we never even harvested a trophy. An incredible historical ranch with solid genetics that popped the occasional low 170s and several 160s, but for some reason could never get over that hump to the 180s+ even though there were some of those running around nearby ranches. Not sure if this is a common experience among others, but it was always a point of frustration and friction when we would pass a younger/middle aged 150-170, only to have him go downhill the next year or never be seen again. But then again if we saw them all the time, we might not have appreciated the ones we saw/harvested as much...
DimmitCo is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top