Lavaca County-Yoakum 2015 Prospects?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Lavaca County-Yoakum 2015 Prospects?

I know that there has been some good work in the past with managing the population in this area but just want to see if anyone here has any trailcam pics of the flock this year?

My grandfather has a 50 acre plot off of Brushy creek area down south off 77 from 111. It's the only place I have to Hunt this year (My second Bow season). I have been filling the feeders with corn since early August.

With the rains we have been been having up there earlier this year, will that help or hurt the size and population of deer?

I'm in the same general area. Deer numbers on camera are way down from last year but we have been infested with hogs and like you say it is very green. We just put up feeder pens so hopefully more deer will come by with the hogs gone.

Comment

I hunt about 5 miles northwest of Yoakum. It is very green this year but I've been seeing pretty good numbers of deer on the camera. Couple nice mature bucks as well. Really looking forward to the season.

Comment

Nice. This is only my second year in this area. Last year we only saw two mature deer on the cams and they only showed the first few weeks of October. I was lucky enough to kill one of them. Hope some transients make their way through the property during the rut.

Comment

Great. Driving down the back roads of CR 436 yesterday and saw about ten deer, no bucks, but three or four fat doe. Rest were fawn. Healthy looking though! Pond is full enough, and feeders are full. Going to try a natural foliage blind this year. Never done it before, but hoping for the best...

Comment

Almost finished.

Comment

Early stages pano. Hope it works.

Comment

I saw lower than normal numbers at the protein feeder this year but that's due to the rains we had all spring and early summer. The corn fields have been picked clean and they're starting to hit the feeders now.

I have the usual suspects at the feeders this year but don't have anything that I want to shoot unless something happens by during the late October rut.

It's been my experience that if there's a mature deer in your area, you have a decent shot in October then they go underground until mid-December. Be ready to make that one encounter in October count.

I was lucky to take this guy last year on opening day, he was a feeder hog. I had been watching him for 3 years, maybe even as a yearling but never couldn't tell.

Be ready and drill one.
                Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Slick8 View Post
                  I saw lower than normal numbers at the protein feeder this year but that's due to the rains we had all spring and early summer. The corn fields have been picked clean and they're starting to hit the feeders now.

I have the usual suspects at the feeders this year but don't have anything that I want to shoot unless something happens by during the late October rut.

It's been my experience that if there's a mature deer in your area, you have a decent shot in October then they go underground until mid-December. Be ready to make that one encounter in October count.

I was lucky to take this guy last year on opening day, he was a feeder hog. I had been watching him for 3 years, maybe even as a yearling but never couldn't tell.

Be ready and drill one.
                  I would say you are correct with the one shot in October. When November rolls around, the mature deer disappear until the season ends. Happens every year.
                  Originally posted by antiparadigm View Post

Early stages pano. Hope it works.

Comment

This is the only thing I have worth mentioning at the moment. Hunting off of 1447 near the DeWitt/Lavaca county line.
                    Attached Files

Comment

I live north of Yoakum. I put a feeder out a few weeks ago (thanks UltraKarl! ) and finally got my Code Black back out on Sunday. I have several does and a young buck that have been hanging out.

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1442970712.772256.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	289.7 KB
ID:	24405127

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1442970727.248186.jpg
Size:	173.9 KB
ID:	24405128

Hogs showed up last night.

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1442970751.641452.jpg
Size:	180.4 KB
ID:	24405129

These greedy btards have been regulars.

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1442970783.907397.jpg
Size:	180.9 KB
ID:	24405130
                      My Flickr Photos

Comment

Yea, I have seen a lot of young ones... Unless is see a gnarly old spike or a ridiculous trophy I'm going to let them pass. Saw two nice mature 8 pointers two years ago, but it was pre-season. Went bow hunting opening day for rifle season, and heard shots everywhere. I'm sure those two went down for the count...

Comment

Lots of pigs this year. Still real green. Bucks haven't been hitting protein feeders. Lots of does though.

Comment

this is the best thing I have on my cams:

Comment

Truly a "rare bird" for the area and that dude is all beard.

Comment

Working...
                              X