Spine indexing.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Spine indexing.

I'm posting this here to start another post. We have mentioned this in our foc post. Trying not to put to many subjects under that post

I've always just knoc tuned my arrows. But recently I've been bareshaft tuning. Was chasing my tail just a little. So I spine index the two bare shafts. What a difference. Hoyt21 posted about a thread on archerytalk it was started by ontarget7. If your interested about spine indexing go read it.

If you build your arrows and are trying to get the best T.A.P. from your arrow it might be worth it to you to look at a spine tester.

You can buy one. It's call. Ram spine tester. It's 300 bucks. You can build one. It takes a dial indicator. You need the one inch movement. Less then $20. Depending on how you build it you may want a magnetic base. It's less then $20. I used a 2x2 angle iron 36 inches long. Then I have for now a bolt at 14 from center so I can spine test at 28 inches. I took a 3/4 bolt and added washers to it till I got to 1.94 lbs. I used a paper clip to hang weight from arrow. I have about $50 or so in it now.

I'm looking at putting bearings for the arrow to rest on and a bearing system for the weight also. This will make it easy to spine index. This is going to add about $ 60 to it. This is material only.
    Again if your building a T.A.P. arrow. A spine tester would be a good tool to have

Just to make it clear for the non believers. I'm not saying you have to have this to build arrows. I've been doing for years with out it. But to build a arrow for T.A.P you need a spine tester.

After my draw board build tonight I will building the indexer it all makes sense. If you want to get the best performance out of your bow and arrows. Yes people have been killing with their set ups just as much as a perfectly tuned set up has. But I'm after getting the most out of all my equipment

Comment

Ready to read all this for later

Comment

Also can float your arrows in water. The heavy side will always face down.

Comment

Originally posted by JakeGraves View Post
          This will not be consistent

Comment

Hey bud can you send me a pic of your spine tester when you get a chance

Comment

Originally posted by JakeGraves View Post
              I just tried this. I marked a arrow. Then I put in water. Then I could rotate the arrow. It would just stay where I put it. So for me and the blackeagle carnivors. Floating did not work.

Comment

Here is my spine tester. It's rough. Still need to build the bearing rollers.
                Attached Files

Comment

K
                  Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Fergeris View Post
                    Ready to read all this for later

Don't wait too long. Our FOC thread has 812 replies. And over 17k views ;-)

Comment

A
                      Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by enewman View Post
                        I just tried this. I marked a arrow. Then I put in water. Then I could rotate the arrow. It would just stay where I put it. So for me and the blackeagle carnivors. Floating did not work.
                        Put a teaspoon full of liquid dish soap in the water and you will see a difference in the results of floating shafts. It's not as accurate as indicating full length shafts, but it is a quick, cheap way to get results.

Comment

have always heard the weight they test arrows with is 2.2 #

Comment

I just order mine from South Shore

Comment

Originally posted by cg1219 View Post
                              have always heard the weight they test arrows with is 2.2 #
                              Used to be. And that arrow was done with contact points at 26 inches. Carbon arrows are done at 28 inches with a 1.94 (880 gm) weight.

Comment

Working...
                              X