SHNF vs DCNF?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

SHNF vs DCNF?

I am trying to decide which forest to do most of my scouting/hunting at for the 2018 season. I currently live about 30 minutes from SHNF and almost 2 hours from DCNF. I'd prefer to focus on the Sam but from what I've seen the Davy holds much larger deer. On the other side of the fence I feel the Sam has less traffic in the woods considering new license laws.

Thoughts?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I live between the two and I would choose DCNF.

Comment

Originally posted by HighwayHunter View Post
      I am trying to decide which forest to do most of my scouting/hunting at for the 2018 season. I currently live about 30 minutes from SHNF and almost 2 hours from DCNF. I'd prefer to focus on the Sam but from what I've seen the Davy holds much larger deer. On the other side of the fence I feel the Sam has less traffic in the woods considering new license laws.

Thoughts?

What new licensing laws?

Comment

I might be wrong. Very good chance I am lol

Comment

Originally posted by Kodiakk View Post
          What new licensing laws?
          X2

Comment

I was told and have read that you have to have some sort of annual public land permit for the Sam but not for the Davy. At least outside of Alabama creek in the Davy you don't have to.

Comment

Idk how "new" this is. New to me.

Comment

I was told and have read that you have to have some sort of annual public land permit for the Sam but not for the Davy. At least outside of Alabama creek in the Davy you don't have to.

Been that way for as long as they have had public hunting permits I believe. Both areas have big deer but I think the DCNF has more and bigger on average from what I've seen. There are some TBH members who are real experts on both maybe they will chime in. I only hunt either a couple of times every few years. Nuckleheads hunt both so make sure and ware your orange and watch yourself.
                Last edited by sharkhunter; 01-04-2018, 06:47 AM.

Comment

As stated both hold good deer. Sam is closer to you and I would hunt Tuesday-Thursday.

Comment

Originally posted by rut-ro View Post
                    As stated both hold good deer. Sam is closer to you and I would hunt Tuesday-Thursday.

Not a bad idea. Maybe I can do some bowhunting after work before time change in the Sam.

Comment

I've hunted both. Both are very similar. Both hold good deer. The Sam people have just learn to keep their mouth shut. The davy people haven't learned that yet. You may be surprised on the quality deer never shown in the Sam. If I were you, the closer to the Sam the more you can learn about that place.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

Comment

The permit is cheap. You would burn that in gas going to DCNF in no time. They both hold good deer. When I hunted DCNF I would start scouting as soon as season closed and gps the favorable spots for next season.

Comment

Originally posted by BW96 View Post
                          I've hunted both. Both are very similar. Both hold good deer. The Sam people have just learn to keep their mouth shut. The davy people haven't learned that yet. You may be surprised on the quality deer never shown in the Sam. If I were you, the closer to the Sam the more you can learn about that place.

Yeah I'm not worried about the price of permit or gas $ I just wonder if I should spend a little more time closer to home learning the area or if the deer in the Davy make it more worth while.

Comment

Yeah I'm not worried about the price of permit or gas $ I just wonder if I should spend a little more time closer to home learning the area or if the deer in the Davy make it more worth while.

Closer to home makes sense in my eyes. The quality of deer is very similar. I know people that kill every year in both places. If you lined all their deer up, the quality would be a toss up.

Comment

Both hold great deer, just have to learn how to hunt them. Public land hunting can be frustrating at times but can also be very rewarding. Being that close to Sam, that's where I'd spend most of my time. Get a good pair of hunting boots and gps and scout, scout, scout!

Comment

Working...
                              X