Reply
Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Around the Campfire
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-17-2017, 12:37 PM   #1
Drycreek3189
Pope & Young
 
Drycreek3189's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Troup
Hunt In: Wyoming and Texas
Default Shield owners

I just bought an S&W PC Shield. Everything is good except for one thing. When a mag is inserted, it's almost impossible to work the slide catch to lower the slide. Without a mag in, it's easy. Are all of them this way, because I own several Glocks, an XDs, and a full size M&P, and all these can easily be manipulated with a mag in place. Never had a pistol that was like this, and have owned several different ones in the past. This is a head scratcher for me. Any help is appreciated.

On the plus side, this sucker has the best trigger of any striker fired pistol (from the factory) that I've ever shot. Magazines are hell to load, but my arthritic thumbs don't help that !

Thanks !
Drycreek3189 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-17-2017, 12:42 PM   #2
Bullseye07
Ten Point
 
Bullseye07's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: Addison
Hunt In: Leon/Freestone Cos
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drycreek3189 View Post
I just bought an S&W PC Shield. Everything is good except for one thing. When a mag is inserted, it's almost impossible to work the slide catch to lower the slide. Without a mag in, it's easy. Are all of them this way, because I own several Glocks, an XDs, and a full size M&P, and all these can easily be manipulated with a mag in place. Never had a pistol that was like this, and have owned several different ones in the past. This is a head scratcher for me. Any help is appreciated.

On the plus side, this sucker has the best trigger of any striker fired pistol (from the factory) that I've ever shot. Magazines are hell to load, but my arthritic thumbs don't help that !

Thanks !
Yes they are all like that. You can do some googling and see that is a complaint by some. I have seen where some folks do some light sanding to make it a slide release instead on a slide stop. I just power stroke it. Always works and it's good muscle memory to learn.
Bullseye07 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-17-2017, 12:58 PM   #3
bryan sandlin
Ten Point
 
bryan sandlin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: northwest houston
Hunt In: old u.s.m.c. camys
Default

I have a .40 the fear is that a file job will make it not hold open. so unlike the 1911 and the one thumb action cycle its now just a two hand method.
bryan sandlin is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-17-2017, 01:05 PM   #4
Drycreek3189
Pope & Young
 
Drycreek3189's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Troup
Hunt In: Wyoming and Texas
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryan sandlin View Post
I have a .40 the fear is that a file job will make it not hold open. so unlike the 1911 and the one thumb action cycle its now just a two hand method.
Thanks for the responses. It's not a deal killer, as it has no bearing on function of the loading process, it's just not what I expected.
Drycreek3189 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-17-2017, 01:05 PM   #5
Abctx
Four Point
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Default

Many guns are like that. Just pull the slide back 1/4", and let it go. Only reason it would be an issue to me is if one arm/hand was capacitated, and you needed to do a one handed reload/slide drop.
Abctx is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-17-2017, 01:53 PM   #6
Drycreek3189
Pope & Young
 
Drycreek3189's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Troup
Hunt In: Wyoming and Texas
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abctx View Post
Many guns are like that. Just pull the slide back 1/4", and let it go. Only reason it would be an issue to me is if one arm/hand was capacitated, and you needed to do a one handed reload/slide drop.
I think you're confused. There is no issue with a loaded mag. The issue is letting the slide down with an empty mag inserted. Take out the mag, and it's easy. No sweat as long as I know that it was purposely built that way. Easy to drop the mag and release the slide.
Drycreek3189 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-17-2017, 06:00 PM   #7
jreyna920
Ten Point
 
jreyna920's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Katy, Tx
Hunt In: Texas
Default

I had the same issue, I took a file to the slide and then the slide to a polishing wheel. It's a lot better now but to me the issue is more with the fact that there is literally no meat to the release to grab.
jreyna920 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-17-2017, 06:49 PM   #8
flyby
Ten Point
 
flyby's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: DFW
Hunt In: Parker County
Default

Not designed to drop the slide on an empty mag. If you want an empty mag in the gun drop the slide first. Not sure why you would ever want an empty mag in.
flyby is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-17-2017, 06:56 PM   #9
Drycreek3189
Pope & Young
 
Drycreek3189's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Troup
Hunt In: Wyoming and Texas
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyby View Post
Not designed to drop the slide on an empty mag. If you want an empty mag in the gun drop the slide first. Not sure why you would ever want an empty mag in.
I have lots of guns, and I don't store them all loaded. I generally keep the magazine in the gun, and the spare beside it. But the question has been answered, although I appreciate your concern.
Drycreek3189 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-17-2017, 07:14 PM   #10
cattlelackranch
Ten Point
 
cattlelackranch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Rockwall
Hunt In: South Texas and Panhandle
Default Shield owners

I know dropping a slide on an empty chamber is a GREAT way to ruin a trigger. On a 1911.

Not familiar with poly guns.
cattlelackranch is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:44 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 1999-2012, TexasBowhunter.com