Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Around the Campfire

Old 04-10-2017, 09:53 PM   #1
junkmanhunter
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Childress
Default E-trade, Scott trade or similar. Which one???

Just wondering who on here does their own trading and investing and to what extent.

Looking at opening an account with E-trade, Scott trade or something similar. Anyone with pros and cons on how they work and experiences, whether good or bad.

Which would you recommend and why?

Thanks in advance
junkmanhunter is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-11-2017, 05:04 PM   #2
junkmanhunter
Pope & Young

Anyone?
Old 04-11-2017, 05:18 PM   #3
Je3749
Ten Point

Hunt In: Anywhere I can

I used scottrade a couple years back. Made a little and cashed out. I really didn't have any issues with them, just got out of having to watch it all the time.
Je3749 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-11-2017, 05:22 PM   #4
COOLDAD1
Ten Point

Hunt In: Texas

I use the Robinhood app on my phone. It is very simple to use, and I buy and sell small stocks all day long.
COOLDAD1 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-11-2017, 05:23 PM   #5
labman
Eight Point

Tradestation, best trading platform out there, imho.
labman is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-11-2017, 05:24 PM   #6
quarterback
Pope & Young

Hunt In: San Saba

E Trade has worked pretty well for me. I'm sure all of the bigger trading platforms are good these days. Not sure what the others charge for trades though.
quarterback is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-11-2017, 05:28 PM   #7
refugioco
Ten Point

Hunt In: Frio County

Fidelity has 4.95 trades and is a full service brokerage.
refugioco is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-11-2017, 05:59 PM   #8
GarrettH
Ten Point

Hunt In: Bandera

Quote:
Originally Posted by COOLDAD1 View Post
I use the Robinhood app on my phone. It is very simple to use, and I buy and sell small stocks all day long.
I just quickly looked at their site... is it for real free to trade? any catches?
GarrettH is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-11-2017, 06:23 PM   #9
TejasNW
Six Point

Hunt In: 'the ranch'

I set up a TD Ameritrade account recently and was very happy with the process. All online, no CS involved. Funds cleared in a day. They gave me 500 free trades (expires in a month or so?); so have built a position moving in when the time was right, without any costs.

Overall the process was easy. Trades have been seamless. I have set my price targets, and they have executed without a hitch. Can't be happier.

On the other hand, about a year ago, I tried the same thing with Trade King (now bought by some other online broker.) Funds took 3 weeks to clear. Had to have several conversations with Customer Service, all unsatisfactory. Turned me off online trading for a while.

That has been my experience for what it is worth. More free advice, this market shows a real top; and a huge downstroke on the way. If you must be in the market, be nimble. Don't get greedy; and don't dance far from the door in case the drapes suddenly burst into flames. I invested a small amount of money that I am okay if I lose on oil company stocks trading at 1/50th of their peak value; in hopes they can hang on until sub sea returns. I may lose it all; and am okay with that. Otherwise, I would be as far from the market as I can be (and have been for the past 8 years.)
TejasNW is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-11-2017, 06:27 PM   #10
axisbuck
Ten Point

Hunt In: Lometa Lampasas

I have used scottrade and meryll lynch both charge a flat charge $6-8. I currently use robinhood no trade commission fees. Downside no website or pc trading only phone app.
axisbuck is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-11-2017, 07:56 PM   #11
junkmanhunter
Pope & Young

Thanks for input. I have never heard of Robin hood, I will check it out.
Old 04-11-2017, 08:00 PM   #12
junkmanhunter
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by TejasNW View Post
I set up a TD Ameritrade account recently and was very happy with the process. All online, no CS involved. Funds cleared in a day. They gave me 500 free trades (expires in a month or so?); so have built a position moving in when the time was right, without any costs.

Overall the process was easy. Trades have been seamless. I have set my price targets, and they have executed without a hitch. Can't be happier.

On the other hand, about a year ago, I tried the same thing with Trade King (now bought by some other online broker.) Funds took 3 weeks to clear. Had to have several conversations with Customer Service, all unsatisfactory. Turned me off online trading for a while.

That has been my experience for what it is worth. More free advice, this market shows a real top; and a huge downstroke on the way. If you must be in the market, be nimble. Don't get greedy; and don't dance far from the door in case the drapes suddenly burst into flames. I invested a small amount of money that I am okay if I lose on oil company stocks trading at 1/50th of their peak value; in hopes they can hang on until sub sea returns. I may lose it all; and am okay with that. Otherwise, I would be as far from the market as I can be (and have been for the past 8 years.)
Appreciate the thoughts. What I am wanting to do is play with a little money that isn't a big deal if I lose some or all. I currently have a financial advisor and am going to leave everything with him. He frowns on cannibus stocks and other far out stuff I want to gamble on
Old 04-11-2017, 08:52 PM   #13
jreyna920
Ten Point

Hunt In: Texas

I've been using capitol one which is who bought out sharebuilder. I don't have experience elsewhere but have next to zero issue with the platform for 10 years. I am petty active I would say.
jreyna920 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-11-2017, 09:27 PM   #14
djc
Ten Point

Hunt In: San Saba, TX

I use Schwab. Simple,easy, pretty inexpensive.
djc is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-11-2017, 09:57 PM   #15
JeffJ
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Somewhere in the hillcountry golden triangle

Quote:

1/1/09 the S&P was at ~865. Today it closed at 2353...
JeffJ is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-11-2017, 11:15 PM   #16
TejasNW
Six Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffJ View Post
1/1/09 the S&P was at ~865. Today it closed at 2353...
I hope you are right. I really do. However, my personal belief is that the market is a rigged environment and there is no organic growth to support these levels. In a market where Black Box HFT has gone from tin foil hat theory to admitted reality by the exchanges, there is no place for me to compete on a level playing field. So I am out.

But I do wish nothing but prosperity to those whom trade. It is just not to my liking at present. Good trading. (http://www.zerohedge.com/news/2017-04-11/you-are-here )
Attached Images

Last edited by TejasNW; 04-11-2017 at 11:30 PM.. Reason: referencing article
Old 04-12-2017, 08:12 AM   #17
JeffJ
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Somewhere in the hillcountry golden triangle

Quote:
I hope you are right. I really do. However, my personal belief is that the market is a rigged environment and there is no organic growth to support these levels. In a market where Black Box HFT has gone from tin foil hat theory to admitted reality by the exchanges, there is no place for me to compete on a level playing field. So I am out.

But I do wish nothing but prosperity to those whom trade. It is just not to my liking at present. Good trading. (http://www.zerohedge.com/news/2017-04-11/you-are-here )
My response was due to your eluding to being far away from the markets for the last eight years. Did I read that wrong?
JeffJ is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-12-2017, 08:23 AM   #18
M16
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Colorado, LaSalle, McCulloch,Menard Counties

I've had Scottrade for a long time and have been very satisfied.
M16 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-12-2017, 08:59 AM   #19
TejasNW
Six Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffJ View Post
My response was due to your eluding to being far away from the markets for the last eight years. Did I read that wrong?
No, you read it correctly. I have had no skin in the game for a long time. I have watched and tried to make sense of it; but came to the conclusion that it was not where I wanted my money.
Old 04-12-2017, 09:02 AM   #20
Axe Man
Ten Point

Hunt In: Karnes County

I started a TD Ameritrade account about a week and a half ago. It has been good so far. Easy to use and plenty of tools available. Now I just need some trades to go my way and I'll be up and going!
Axe Man is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-12-2017, 09:10 AM   #21
hooligan
Ten Point

Hunt In: Foard Co.

I've used TD for a few years and been happy with them.
hooligan is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-12-2017, 05:32 PM   #22
junkmanhunter
Pope & Young

Thanks for the input. I am going to check into a couple the next few days.
Old 04-12-2017, 05:35 PM   #23
Ten Point

Hunt In: Williamson,Coryell, Bell

I use scotttrade in Round Rock, I can go there and talk to a real person if I want to...
10132297 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top