Ten Point

Hunt In: Catarina, TX

Congrats guys!!
160class is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-16-2015, 09:08 PM   #103
trad"Doc"53
Pope & Young

Hunt In: None at Present

Congrats to the two of you on your kills. Especially liked the pic of Bisch!
trad"Doc"53 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-17-2015, 12:01 AM   #104
Bisch
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by trad"Doc"53 View Post
Congrats to the two of you on your kills. Especially liked the pic of Bisch!
Hardee-har-har!!!!!!!!!

Bisch
Bisch is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-17-2015, 08:22 AM   #105
MedicineMan7
Eight Point

Hunt In: Anywhere they let me in!

Well, we finally arrived back in the states! Mot say the trip was a dream come true would be a complete understatement in the fullest!! I have dreamed of hunting in Africa for
More years then I can say, and to get to go over on my honeymoon of all things and to have understanding wife who AGREED and wanted to go
(Actually brought it up first when we were talking about destinations) is truly a dream come true.
The hunting was unbelievable and the animals over there were even more unbelievable. I was told before I left, and read it many times as well, that once u go, you will want to go back and I've been planning a return in my mind days before ever leaving the place! In all, we got five animals and had a few blown or missed opportunities at others, so in saying that,
I'll call my return trip back a "business venture" because I really feel like I got some unfinished business over there!
Took tons of pictures and jotted (more like scribbles with my writing ) in my notebook and will post up all the cheers, tears, laughter and fun over the next few days once we get settled back in and I can get on a computer!
Thanks again to all who followed along. Really wish service were better available there so I could have sent more updates and pics personally and made this as close to being there as possible, but in that want to send a big thanks to Bisch for helping keep y'all updated!!

Ps for anyone who has ever thought about going over to hunt, whether it be a longshot or a close reality, DO IT!!! It truly is an unreal place and you won't be disappointed!!
MedicineMan7 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-17-2015, 10:34 AM   #106
SwampRabbit
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Hill Country & East Texas

Welcome home! Glad you and your wife had a great time!
SwampRabbit is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-17-2015, 10:36 AM   #107
ajm2nac
Banned!!!

Hunt In: nacogdoches

congrats on a safe return! cant wait to see pics, and thank you for sharing
ajm2nac is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-17-2015, 02:36 PM   #108
Texas5o
Ten Point

Hunt In: Haskell County

Welcome home Shiloh and Mrs. Shiloh.......sounds like an awesome honeymoon.
Texas5o is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-17-2015, 04:07 PM   #109
MedicineMan7
Eight Point

Here's a few pictures from our fishing trip! We were after tiger fish, which come to find out we were not fishing the right time of year for them of course, but we were able to see A LOT of amazing critters that God put on this earth for is to enjoy! Really crazy to be fishing and have hippo not 200yards from you or a warthog come running to the water, and the best of all, getting to see RHINOS up so close! And to see all of them in their natural habitat running wild was truly amazing! It would be the equivalent of setting out on your favorite bass lake throwing a jig along the bank and all of a sudden all these critters are right there walking down the bank line lookin at you!

In hind sight, we prolly would have ditched the fishing trip since it was one less afternoon that we got to hunt and still had a couple critters we wanted, but to see to see so many amazing animals like we did and getting pictures in not only on film, but in our memories, looking back it was an afternoon well spent!

Name:  ImageUploadedByTapatalk1434570826.557558.jpg
Views: 646
Size:  119.8 KB
Giraffe driving in by the lake

Name:  ImageUploadedByTapatalk1434570875.166960.jpg
Views: 648
Size:  66.3 KB
Name:  ImageUploadedByTapatalk1434570894.483871.jpg
Views: 655
Size:  44.3 KBName:  ImageUploadedByTapatalk1434570908.929110.jpg
Views: 650
Size:  48.0 KB

And finally, one of the most memorable sights, a female and baby rhino. The PH's son, who grew up in Africa his whole life, was with us on the fishing trip and said he'd never been that close to wild rhinos before or seen sites like that, so that really put it into perspective how great the the trip was for us!
Name:  ImageUploadedByTapatalk1434571231.114193.jpg
Views: 653
Size:  49.8 KBName:  ImageUploadedByTapatalk1434571422.512970.jpg
Views: 654
Size:  54.6 KB
Name:  ImageUploadedByTapatalk1434571573.512641.jpg
Views: 652
Size:  45.6 KB

Disclaimer: One of my bigger regrets (or mishaps) for the trip was not having my big camera with me on the fishing trip, but I didn't know what we were getting into on the boat and didn't want to risk getting it wet so these are all off my cell phone and aren't the best pictures in the world.
Old 06-17-2015, 04:13 PM   #110
TXHUNT3R
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Hempstead, TX

very cool, thanks for taking us along!!!!
TXHUNT3R is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-17-2015, 06:00 PM   #111
little john
Ten Point

Hunt In: mostly TX

those pictures are breath-taking welcome back to the states brother congratulations
little john is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-17-2015, 10:21 PM   #112
Dry Bones
Ten Point

Hunt In: East Texas, Whatever comes available

I'm a newcomer to this particular site, but man what an awesome adventure. Congratulations to you and your new wife.

-Bones
Dry Bones is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-17-2015, 10:50 PM   #113
Martin
Ten Point

Hunt In: Grayson County and Oklahoma.

This is a really cool thread Congratulations you two!
Martin is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-18-2015, 07:23 AM   #114
SwampGhost
Ten Point

Hunt In: La, Tx, Ks, Ne,Il

Congrats on an amazing honeymoon!
SwampGhost is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-19-2015, 04:56 PM   #115
MedicineMan7
Eight Point

To say the anticipation was high in the first day would be an understatement! As soon as we pulled into the place we were going to hunt, animals were all over the place! Our main quarry the first day was going to be impala and warthogs ad we had already seen a TON of em by the time we reached our hides. Sahara would be hunting with the owner/PH's son Neil and I was going to be hunting with the main man Lammie. We were in the blinds no time and animals were already coming to water. Didn't start hunting the first day till around 9:30 or so, and it was already starting to warm up. Didn't take long (maybe 1 1/2hrs) and we got word that Sahara had already struck and the impala went down within 50yards! I was super excited for her and happy that she was able to hold her nerves back and make a great shot!
Name:  ImageUploadedByTapatalk1434746379.887400.jpg
Views: 505
Size:  215.5 KB

Sahara and Neil moved to another property, while I continued to hunt the same water hole until dark. Seen lots and lots of critters including impala and warthogs, but no boars came in and no impala rams would hold still long enough for me to loose an arrow!

Name:  ImageUploadedByTapatalk1434746503.878140.jpg
Views: 515
Size:  51.5 KB
Blesbuck females coming to water

Name:  ImageUploadedByTapatalk1434746561.382071.jpg
Views: 497
Size:  82.4 KB
Twisted horn nyala bull.

Right before dark my luck would change and the main critter on my bucket list for many years came over the dam of the waterhole, a zebra. First time he started to water, Lammie said I'd get one chance and if it spooked, it wouldn't be back. Just my luck, as I knocked an arrow in the fashion I always do, no more than three quills on my feathers brushed against my string, and my dream animal picked up his head and walked away into the thorn brush.. I was heartbroken. About 20 minutes passed and the zebra, unbelievably made another appearance. Lammie couldn't believe it came back and said it would only water if another animal or two came in first just to calm it's nerves a bit. As if on cue, two warthogs came to drink and the zebra followed right in. He began to drink and Lammie asked if he was close enough to shoot. I ranged him at 22 yards and without hesitation started drawing back to shoot. As soon as I let go, it felt like a good shot, but he had enough time to duck the string causing the hit to be a bit high and a touch far back for my liking. Instantly though, blood started coming out so that gave me hope. We took up the tracks, but unfortunately dark set in and we ha to back out. Lammie said he'd have the farms workers go look in the morning and acted extremely confident that they'd find him dead or alive. The sleepless night began right then. The next day around noon, we got the call they had found him, up and still on his feet. We took after him to try and get a follow up shot and finally after circling him numerous times with no luck, a 25yard shot opened up as he was slightly quartering and walking away from us and I let one fly! To say it didn't feel like a rodeo getting him down would be an understatement but finally it all came to a close and I had my zebra!
Name:  ImageUploadedByTapatalk1434747426.532136.jpg
Views: 507
Size:  129.5 KB

Name:  ImageUploadedByTapatalk1434747449.326186.jpg
Views: 501
Size:  60.2 KB

Gotta get back to yard work, been lounging to long! Don't want the wife to get on to me!
Old 06-19-2015, 05:33 PM   #116
caughtandhobble
Ten Point

Hunt In: Texas

Wow great story and hunt. Thank you for taking us along my friend.

Congrats again, and we wish you two all of the best life has to offer.
caughtandhobble is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-19-2015, 05:51 PM   #117
RackstackerG5
Ten Point

Hunt In: Red River County

Congrats to both of you ! Thanks for sharing !
RackstackerG5 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-19-2015, 06:03 PM   #118
Bisch
Pope & Young

Can't wait to hear and see the rest of the story!

Bisch
Old 06-19-2015, 06:08 PM   #119
MEsquivel
Ten Point

Hunt In: South Texas/Mexico

Awesome!
MEsquivel is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-19-2015, 06:20 PM   #120
SwampRabbit
Pope & Young

Nice writeup... can't wait for more
Old 06-19-2015, 07:22 PM   #121
Loreva13
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Iraan, TX, El Paso, TX, Van Horn, TX, and Fort Hancock, TX

Congrats to you both! What an awesome adventure!
Loreva13 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-19-2015, 09:04 PM   #122
little john
Ten Point

Wow just wow
Old 06-20-2015, 02:29 PM   #123
MedicineMan7
Eight Point

One the way to track the zebra, we dropped by to pick up the trackers that worked at the farm we were hunting. As we pulled up, I looked over and not far from their block hut stood a warthog amongst a few cattle. I pointed it out to Lammie and he holler something in Zulu to the guys then looked at me and said "grab your bow!", so being the polite guy I am, a obliged! He told me to circle around behind them and I should be able to get a shot as he'd face them by the truck. So, I eased around the side and as soon as I got the shot I picked a spot, drew back and Thwack! The pig let out a roar and took of to the brush line and fell right within sight! I remember standing there thinking "did that just happen?"! The trackers were all smiling and throwing high fives to each other and I felt like this wasn't a first for this to happen. Lammie came over and and said good shot and I asked, based off of the trackers reactions, if that had happened before. He said the warthogs will fall in with the cattle sometimes if they get some feed and they will continue to stick around as long as the feed or "treat" keeps coming, but as soon as they don't get it for a day or two, then away they go! I was glad we got there while he was still around!

Name:  ImageUploadedByTapatalk1434823643.804954.jpg
Views: 470
Size:  101.8 KB

Name:  ImageUploadedByTapatalk1434824282.462281.jpg
Views: 492
Size:  74.3 KB

Lucky for me, Lammie said he was just a freebee and I could still get a big hog if I got a shot! Well, a couple days later my opportunity arrived. A very nice boar came in and actually caught us off guard. The blind we were in was a pit blind and was hard to see certain spots unless you were looking right at them. As we set, I heard a slurping noise so I set up to see the hog drinking at about 17yards.
I had had a prior run in at this very same spot the day before in which an impala ram ducked my shot and got away with little more than a shaving scar. I wish I had the video to show as I could not have made a better shot, but the impala proved to just be a lot faster than my arrow!
Any how as the boar drank, I focused on a spot, drew back and let and arrow fly! Unfortunately, this little piggy must have had some impala blood in him as he ducked and turned into my arrow causing a hit up into the shoulder a little high of the vital zone. We found the arrow about 30yards from the shot with about 6" of arrow broke off. Very little blood was found and after watching the video only a couple times, I knew the shot was no good and the evidence we found after was just a bitter confirmation of it. Lammie said they are very tough and he felt like the pig would be fine, although a bit sore for a day or two. So, as I type this, part of the "little john" arrow is still roaming the African plains....
Name:  ImageUploadedByTapatalk1434824739.600871.jpg
Views: 466
Size:  288.9 KB
Name:  ImageUploadedByTapatalk1434824851.251675.jpg
Views: 469
Size:  89.6 KB
Name:  ImageUploadedByTapatalk1434824874.739283.jpg
Views: 462
Size:  89.3 KB
Name:  ImageUploadedByTapatalk1434824898.318827.jpg
Views: 479
Size:  289.1 KB

Just as with the impala, if you watch the shot in slow motion and put a peg on the spot where I wanted to hit, the arrow hits that exact spot. Had he stayed put, I would be showing an LDP instead of these... That's bowhunting with a stickbow I reckon!
Attached Images

Old 06-20-2015, 02:54 PM   #124
jreyna920
Ten Point

Hunt In: Texas

Congrats on the trophies!!!! I am tickled to see my name on that arrow and that critter on the ground. I know that was what you wanted most!

Congrats on the successful adventure bud
jreyna920 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-20-2015, 06:52 PM   #125
MedicineMan7
Eight Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by jreyna920 View Post
Congrats on the trophies!!!! I am tickled to see my name on that arrow and that critter on the ground. I know that was what you wanted most!

Congrats on the successful adventure bud
Thanks buddy! And yes, definitely the critter on the most wanted list for the trip!
Old 06-21-2015, 10:11 AM   #126
Joel
Ten Point

Cool trip! Congrats to both of you!!
Joel is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-21-2015, 02:03 PM   #127
Gandgolf
Four Point

Good Stories ! Great Pics. Glad ya'll had a Blast! Looking forward to more Tales.--Dano
Gandgolf is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-21-2015, 06:17 PM   #128
little john
Ten Point

I have no words sorry brother lol
Old 06-21-2015, 11:27 PM   #129
MedicineMan7
Eight Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by little john View Post
I have no words sorry brother lol

Haha, I know what ya mean sir! Guess that's how it goes!
Old 06-22-2015, 11:27 AM   #130
shark
Four Point

Hunt In: Wherever i can...

Man that is an awesome experience... Thank you for taking the time to post the pics and the story..
shark is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-23-2015, 12:02 AM   #131
MedicineMan7
Eight Point

Default It's ON! Semi-live from South Africa!

The main animal in my package was nyala. When I was little, a gentleman who lived across from my grandmother went to Africa and built a trophy room next to his house. He killed many animals on his trip, but the one I thought was the most beautiful was his nyala which he'd had a full body mount done on. Since then, I've seen several nyala mounts and they always have one thing in common, they are all beautiful critters! To get the chance to hunt them was truly a dream in the making!
We'd hunted several days and I'd seen tons of nyala bulls, but I had yet to get a mature bull to come into water or close enough to shoot. I'd seen enough of them not only hunting, but also driving in and out during the day, to have a decent idea of what was big or what wasn't. With that though, a few I'd seen I considered good were waved off as just not quite good enough when I'd asked for confirmation about my size guesstimating abilities.
One morning Sahara and I were going to be hunting together in a spot where there were a lot of blesbuck, impala, wildebeest, an nyala frequenting the water hole regularly. I felt confident in the spot and that I'd be able to pick a good nyala out if it were to come in. I was really hoping a good blesbuck would appear for Sahara to shoot at and if some of the other critters rolled by we'd just swap roles.

We had seen a ton of animals throughout the morning, but none of our target animals wanted to come in. A group of wildebeest came in, but only the calves came in to drink. I knew they were big animals but I didn't realize how big they really were.
Name:  ImageUploadedByTapatalk1435030515.320976.jpg
Views: 178
Size:  78.1 KB

Because the management was so tight and they are really striving to increase the size of their impala, Lammie was very particular about what was a shooter and what wasn't and went more by age than size and all of the hard work showed as he had a ton of bruiser impala rams running around.
Name:  ImageUploadedByTapatalk1435031034.675804.jpg
Views: 186
Size:  78.4 KB
Anyhow, having hunted the same spot a couple days before, he'd given me the go ahead to shoot a ram that would have typically been safe due to age, but was a monster of a ram, that had broken about 4" off of one side. I watched all day that day an he never came to the water hole or close enough to shoot. Before entering the blind on this set, Lammie said let's lay off the impala today and focus on nyala and blesbuck. As luck (just my luck) would have it, the ol broke horn ram came right in and stayed for an eternity giving shot after shot and wearing my patience out!!
Name:  ImageUploadedByTapatalk1435031148.836623.jpg
Views: 183
Size:  99.5 KB

Finally, my buddy left out to go chase some girls, and I sat on the steps of the pit blind just shaking my head. I think Sahara thought it was comical because all I could get out of her was a laugh an a smile as she knows my luck all to well. As I sat on the steps watching the impala rut activity, just like a ghost appearing out of nowhere, a big nyala, or so I thought, came strolling into view heading our way. I hoped up and grabbed my bow and set my phone up to get the shot on film. Sahara set behind me as we watched the nyala pass the waterhole, then circle back around from the other side. I remember her saying "is he big?", to which I replied "he's big enough today!". I say and watched him for a moment looking at his body language waiting for the right shot just as Lammie had talked about. Once I felt the bull was calm, I studied the vital area, picked a spot and drew back, then....
Name:  ImageUploadedByTapatalk1435031595.393304.jpg
Views: 185
Size:  154.6 KB

Name:  ImageUploadedByTapatalk1435031610.479125.jpg
Views: 182
Size:  148.7 KB

Name:  ImageUploadedByTapatalk1435031629.782525.jpg
Views: 186
Size:  143.8 KB

Name:  ImageUploadedByTapatalk1435031647.463615.jpg
Views: 190
Size:  141.2 KB

Thwack! I jumped up in time to watch the bull as he bolted away and see my arrow come flipping out the opposite side! I felt like the hit was really good and the video confirmed my thoughts. I gave Lammie the call and told him I'd shot a nice one. We decided to let him sit for 45minutes or so then go look for him. Unfortunately, we'd have to bail out a bit early as Sahara wasn't feeling well at all and wanted to get back to camp. As the picked us up, we could see my bull standing in the brush about 150yards up from the blind. After a LONG 1hr wait at camp, we headed back out and I was finally able to get my hands on a true dream animal for me...
Name:  ImageUploadedByTapatalk1435031982.325502.jpg
Views: 194
Size:  84.2 KB

I honestly didn't know what I had until they really went to talking about how nice he was then I knew I had done well and actually made a good call on shooting. They pulled out the tape and he measures just a hair shy of 29". Had he only been 10", I would
have still felt as though I was on top of the moon. It was just icing on the cake to an amazing adventure.

Last edited by MedicineMan7; 06-23-2015 at 12:07 AM..
Old 06-23-2015, 12:36 AM   #132
Bisch
Pope & Young

That nyala is a stud, my friend!

I guess you are going to have to butter up that taxidermist uncle of yours now, huh?

Congrats again!

Bisch
Old 06-23-2015, 12:50 AM   #133
tradtiger
Ten Point

Hunt In: Lee Co., Granger

What a beast! Those horns are really cool, too. I can see why you would dream of that animal since seeing it as a kid.
tradtiger is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-23-2015, 10:21 AM   #134
Gandgolf
Four Point

Shiloh, Please tell me that was My arra! Huh HUH Please !! LOL Great shot ! Great trophy !! I'm very proud for you both !!--Dano
Old 06-23-2015, 07:58 PM   #135
MedicineMan7
Eight Point

Default It's ON! Semi-live from South Africa!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bisch View Post
That nyala is a stud, my friend!

I guess you are going to have to butter up that taxidermist uncle of yours now, huh?

Congrats again!

Bisch
Haha, Well, I talked to a good buddy of mine who's actually went through my uncles taxidermy school and worked for him for awhile and for now he's the man! He's actually done full body mount nyala with my uncle so it wouldn't be his first time messing with one! I also backed out on the full body mount and going to go with a half body instead!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tradtiger View Post
What a beast! Those horns are really cool, too. I can see why you would dream of that animal since seeing it as a kid.
Yes sir! Truly beautiful critters!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gandgolf View Post
Shiloh, Please tell me that was My arra! Huh HUH Please !! LOL Great shot ! Great trophy !! I'm very proud for you both !!--Dano
I knew I'd forgot something!
Name:  ImageUploadedByTapatalk1435103987.826243.jpg
Views: 153
Size:  48.8 KB

Kinda tough to see but the killin arrow was guided along by "SwampRabbit"

Thanks buddy! It was an awesome adventure for sure!
Old 06-23-2015, 08:50 PM   #136
Dry Bones
Ten Point

Hunt In: East Texas, Whatever comes available

Great recounts of the hunt, and the bull is beautiful.

-Bones
Dry Bones is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-25-2015, 12:56 PM   #137
Gandgolf
Four Point

Dang it !! I KNEW IT !! Must be some kind of Conspiracy !! LOL . My arra probably got Lost in the quiver ! LOL
Old 06-25-2015, 01:15 PM   #138
little john
Ten Point

Sweet
Old 06-25-2015, 01:59 PM   #139
SwampRabbit
Pope & Young

That story of the Nyala is incredible. I am so happy for you that you got to accomplish your childhood dream. Truly awesome! Congrats again!

I am sure glad my name on that arrow didn't jinx ya! whew! big sigh of relief on my side of the green screen.

Thanks for letting us tag along.
Old 06-25-2015, 04:06 PM   #140
Martin
Ten Point

Hunt In: Grayson County and Oklahoma.

Great stuff Shiloh! Congrats again.
Martin is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-25-2015, 04:34 PM   #141
MedicineMan7
Eight Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gandgolf View Post
Dang it !! I KNEW IT !! Must be some kind of Conspiracy !! LOL . My arra probably got Lost in the quiver ! LOL
Haha! Nah, it floated in an out throughout the trip! It was nocked a few times but never took flight! Looking back, I knew I shoulda used it to shoot at a monkey!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SwampRabbit View Post
That story of the Nyala is incredible. I am so happy for you that you got to accomplish your childhood dream. Truly awesome! Congrats again!

I am sure glad my name on that arrow didn't jinx ya! whew! big sigh of relief on my side of the green screen.

Thanks for letting us tag along.
LoL, not a jinx at all! In fact, it was the only arrow that HIT exactly were I wanted I think on the whole trip! I felt good about all of my shots, and looking back wouldn't change a thing about any of them as all my arrows flew right where I wanted them to, but the critters were just to fast for me!

Last edited by MedicineMan7; 06-25-2015 at 04:50 PM..
Old 06-25-2015, 04:48 PM   #142
n8vtxn1
Eight Point

Hunt In: all over

Congrats to both of you on your marriage and trip! Thanks for putting our names on your arrows and taking us to Africa with you. Durk.
n8vtxn1 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-26-2015, 08:37 AM   #143
Gandgolf
Four Point

I Guarantee it would have taken a Big Baboon!!! LMAO-- Dano
Old 06-26-2015, 09:56 AM   #144
Selfbowman
Ten Point

Hunt In: Where ya'll take Me

Congrats on your honeymoon and your Africa adventure . I will pinch myself till August 6th when I am supposed to get home . Arvin
Selfbowman is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-24-2015, 04:52 PM   #145
MB2885
Spike

Hunt In: Goliad, Leaky

Great pics man, thanks!
MB2885 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top