Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Farthest comfortable (confident) shot on game?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Farthest comfortable (confident) shot on game?

I tried searching for a similar thread but for some reason it won't let me. But anyhow, what do you guys and gals think is your longest comfortable shot on either a white tail, pig, or anything worth eating?
    Last edited by CURTIS250; 10-04-2018, 09:47 AM.

I'm fairly new to bowhunting and definitely have some room for improvement. The furthest I would shoot would be what I practice. 30yds. Would feel comfortable stretching It out a tad bit if conditions were right. I understand the importance of practicing at longer distances to tighten up your short game but I'm simply not there yet.

Wait... just realized you didn't specify. Bow or Rifle?

If you're speaking rifle, then I'd be comfortable out to 200yds. I've got a 6x scope and don't practice like I used to since picking up the bow. That's about what I'd limit myself to.

Comment

WT~40yrd
      Pig~140yrd

Gun, under 400yrds

Comment

WT - 50
        Pig - 70 / 80

Comment

It all depends on your proficiency, what distances you practice, lighting, how calm the animal is, angle of shot, etc. Roughly on deer i probably wouldn't go past 40 (I can shoot accurately in practice out to 60). However, on hogs, I don't have a limit. Kill them any way possible.

Comment

The older I get the closer I want them to be.

Comment

Just attempted my furthest shot this morning on a good GA buck at 42 yards and just missed over his back with that said I’d take the shot again. 40 yards on whitetail id try 60 on a pig I guess

Comment

It depends on the demeanor of the animal. If they are relaxed, out to 50 yds, if not relaxed they cant be close enough, 25 and less.

Comment

Originally posted by twosixteens View Post
                  The older I get the closer I want them to be.
                  Me too. I'm 51 and my distance vision is good. Up close is the problem and I'm just not as comfortable sighting as I was 20 years ago ...

Comment

25 or less on white tail. Too many variables to risk longer shots.

Comment

I like 12 yards but have been known to stretch it to 15.

Comment

30 yards for whitetail, unless it’s a schitzy little doe. I like them under 30.
                        40 yards for larger game.

I have a 50 yard range at home. When you practice shooting 50 yards, 20-40 yard shots seem effortless.

Comment

25 yards with bow
                          250 yards with rifle

I gun hunt with a 20-inch barrel .308 not designed for longer shots, so that's why I don't reach out there further. If I were using my 7mmag, it'd be much longer, but I don't use it for deer or pigs.

Comment

I use 1 pin, set at 20.
                            Any further, he walks.

Comment

25 I think is the furthest that is ethical on a white tail with a bow.. I practice out to 50 keep my shots on deer at 20..

Comment

Working...
                              X