No announcement yet.

Snakes in Archery season

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

This thread just made me order my first pair of snake boots...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Use a flashlight

Comment

Originally posted by jerp View Post
        Yikes! That is why I always stake my blinds on a piece of carpet. Before I climb in, a quick flashlight scan tells me if any non-shouldered critters have taken up residence.
        These were concealed under a mat of dead cedar boughs and dirt. Only uncovered them when I kicked up dirt. I've been bit in the shin by a copperhead before, not particularly wanting to do it again.

Comment

Originally posted by bowtechbandit View Post
          I find myself worrying about this at times, and I think to myself, how many hours of my life have I spent in the woods, and how many times have I been bitten... none. I have a better chance of crashing and dying on the way to the stand/lease in my truck than I do even seeing a snake, much less getting bitten by a venomous snake, yet I don't worry about that one bit... strange the way our brains work.
          Same, but I always have my snake boots on at ranch just in case. We run into different snakes there. I killed a nice rattler with my bow several years ago. I caught an awesome Indigo to show the kiddos and released. Hunter encountered a big bull snake when she was riding around on the ATV when she was younger. She left the ATV and walked back to the cabin. I still have not figured that one out, but she was about 9 or so. When Bobby and she were at the ranch and I had to stay home and work, she texted me and said, Oh Lord, I just got struck by a rattlesnake. Well, that tends to freak me out quite a bit. I know that she always wears her snakeboots at the lease and she was on her way to my stand to hunt. I text her and nothing. I call her and nothing. I am getting really concerned and am texting her. She finally texted me back and said, MOM, I AM FINE. I AM HUNTING AND I WILL CALL YOU WHEN I AM FINISHED. Afterwards, she called and she was on the ATV and it struck as she went by.

Comment

Originally posted by flywise View Post
            Use a flashlight
            yup

Comment

Last weekend

Comment

who makes the best rubber snake boot for east Texas? I saw several at my place yesterday

Comment

Snow snakes are the only ones that scare me. Suckers crawl up behind you and stick their tail in your crack and freeze you to death. You won't be bothered by them this weekend.

Comment

Lacrosse rubber snake boots. Can buy them at bass pro. 100 percent waterproof

Comment

Nope

Comment

last Friday morning Had another 80yrd walk to blind in waist high grass after the kill. Heck of a way to start the morning hunt.
                        Click image for larger version

Name:	snake1.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	123.9 KB
ID:	24470448

Name:	sanake2.jpg
Size:	75.0 KB
ID:	24470449

Comment

Was tracking a deer last Saturday and about 2 feet from the trail my dad saw a 6 foot rattler. I never noticed it and that's because I walked that trail about 5 times tracking the deer before my dad got there. We are both very lucky we didn't get bite.

Comment

I Will be on the lookout for new pop-up deals at Academy and elsewhere. After this thread the price on those beauties will plummet. LOL

Comment

They all die.

Comment

2011 visitor was killed WITHOUT scaring the deer off. Went caveman on this sucker - used a rock and an arrow to dispatch it.

Name:	IMG00231-20111023-1714.jpg
Size:	91.1 KB
ID:	24470493

Comment

Working...
                                X