No announcement yet.

Fort Hood

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Coffee and Monsters keep me going, getting ready to head out to the stand, one of these days I am gonna whack one of these deer, Dear Santa: I would like to kill the nice 8 PT that keeps showing up 30 mins after I leave the stand, I have been as good as I can be this year LOL just let me put some meat in the freezer....

Coffee break. Lance if you got some extra hours I could use them, I will probably head back overseas in mid Jan for a few months for a lot of pennies and I wont miss turkey season.

Comment

Looks like we get to pick up the rear. Our dates just got pushed because there's such a huge back log in Kuwait and no housing or space on flights. I guess I'll be home when I get there. Ya'll have a happy Turkey Day.

Comment

Sorry to hear that Ben. Where are you stuck at right now? I am supposed to be flying to Kuwait in less than a week. I hope they get caught up by then. We have not got the word that we are delayed..................YET??????????????

Comment

COB Adder

Comment

This thread is REALLY quiet this evening.
            Somebody say something .... if they don't I may start with the youtube thing again.

Comment

Deer rifle for small child

I might be in the market for a deer rifle for a 7yr old depending on price. If anyone knows anything please let me know. Thanks.

Comment

Ben and Zack went and spent the night with the corp of cadets and then we went and watched the aggies whoop the jayhawks. Gig-em!!!!

If all goes well my son will be an aggie next year.
                Attached Files

Comment

Well.........One week from today I will be back in the "HOOD" huging the kids and kissing the wife..................then it is on to gettin my hunting things together and trying to put some venison in the freezer and a mount on the wall.

Can't wait........it has been a long year.............and I am so ready to be home.

Good luck to your boy John. Hope he gets in and all goes well for him. How has the hunting been in your area? I will definately be coming back out with the slug gun this year to try my luck on a spike or nice buck...................or them HOGS...........LMAO.
                  Last edited by TXArrowSlinger; 11-20-2011, 01:55 PM.

Comment

I guess we got shot out yesterday, the guided program has really took a turn and this was my last year as a guide. I am going to find me a lot spot out in the unguided area and just worry about it and not get punished for someone else screw up. what i mean is if a hunter forgets to fill his log and one of my assistant guides was the guide and I am at home but they did not check it i get a call telling me i will get suspended if it happens again. give me a break I am done. Sorry for the rant and Thanks

Comment

I really thought deer season was gonna suck this year because of the drought. However, it seems to have been a better season because a lot of areas shot out faster this year than usual. I did hear that a couple of deer were illegal and 1 was poached.

Comment

John......sorry to hear about the Guide program getting to be more of a hastle than it is worth. It is definately a shame that they are making what is supposed to be a sport that builds camoradery, instills discipline and establishes morales, into something that is being scrutinized to the point that our volunteer services are belittled and unappreciated. I thought things would get better with Ft. Hood's management program............oh wait.............they don't have a real management program!!!!

Lance.....It seems to be a very productive year. I never would have thought that there would be so many nice deer taken this early in the season. I guess the drought and fires did not really effect them that bad. It is just a shame that even if you harvest a MATURE deer........even though it does not meet the antler restrictions.....you get your harvest taken and get a fine to go along with it. Just doesn't seem like the "HUNTING" that I fell in love with 25 years ago.

Comment

Originally posted by TXArrowSlinger View Post
                          John......sorry to hear about the Guide program getting to be more of a hastle than it is worth. It is definately a shame that they are making what is supposed to be a sport that builds camoradery, instills discipline and establishes morales, into something that is being scrutinized to the point that our volunteer services are belittled and unappreciated. I thought things would get better with Ft. Hood's management program............oh wait.............they don't have a real management program!!!!

Lance.....It seems to be a very productive year. I never would have thought that there would be so many nice deer taken this early in the season. I guess the drought and fires did not really effect them that bad. It is just a shame that even if you harvest a MATURE deer........even though it does not meet the antler restrictions.....you get your harvest taken and get a fine to go along with it. Just doesn't seem like the "HUNTING" that I fell in love with 25 years ago.

AGREED

Comment

Originally posted by BowTechGuardian View Post
                            [/SIZE][/COLOR]

AGREED
                            Same here. I get what they are doing with the AR's but there needs to be some clauses built in. I get not shooting a 1.5-2.5yr old 11in deer but if you see a mature 5yr old thats only 11in...thats all hes ever gonna be. I know they are just trying to get the quality of our "texas trophies" to grow but unless its a high fenced ranch thats fed right we just wont ever see the quality of other states. Sure you might get a few but not like other states that just have better ingredients to grow those big deer

Comment

Originally posted by Walkin STX Hank View Post
                              I guess we got shot out yesterday, the guided program has really took a turn and this was my last year as a guide. I am going to find me a lot spot out in the unguided area and just worry about it and not get punished for someone else screw up. what i mean is if a hunter forgets to fill his log and one of my assistant guides was the guide and I am at home but they did not check it i get a call telling me i will get suspended if it happens again. give me a break I am done. Sorry for the rant and Thanks
                              My feelings exactly John. Human nature on display. There are always a few that get on a power trip and make life miserable for everybody else. It's probably one of the reasons I don't do people very well. That log deal could have been handled a whole lot differently and certainly more quietly. In a tightly controlled area like Hood, it would have been very simple to take the two individuals quietly aside and give them a little reminder about following the rules. Other than being a State requirement, I'm not sure what function the log plays in a tightly controlled area such as Hood anyway.

Good luck to your son getting into A&M. I'm sure he'll be accepted and will do well. Does he have a major figured out yet?

On the unguided area quest. My plan is once season is over with so I can wander around without worry about disturbing anybody's hunting, I'm going to hit the scouting hard.

Comment

Originally posted by EdO View Post
                                Good luck to your son getting into A&M. I'm sure he'll be accepted and will do well. Does he have a major figured out yet?

On the unguided area quest. My plan is once season is over with so I can wander around without worry about disturbing anybody's hunting, I'm going to hit the scouting hard.
                                Thanks Ed
                                he plans on majoring in aerospace engineering and then go into the Air Force.
                                And I am with you about scouting I have some ideas but will do it after the season. I am only pulling my feeders and portable gear out of my old area. There are about 30 stands that I have made since 2004.

Comment

Working...
                                X