Good trade with another TBHer- Muzzlebrake

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Good trade with another TBHer- Muzzlebrake

A few weeks ago Muzzlebrake (Steve P) started a thread looking for exotic wood. I sent him some off-cuts from counter tops I have built the past several years. He in turn built me a knife for cost out of some of the tigerwood I sent him.

I wanted it to be a knife that was simple, not too pretty to skin a bunch of hogs with. No file work or decorative pins, just a tool that sharpens well and holds an edge. He recommended a design and I left it up to him.

Steve knocked it out of the park but as pretty as it is I am going to put it to use. He can chime in with the details on the steel and such. I know quality when it's in my hand, and this knife is quality and scary sharp. Beefy as heck too, ought to zip right through a sternum with ease. The sheath is really slick too, and can be carried vertically or horizontally. On top of that, I had it in my mailbox in less than 2 weeks from the time he got my package.

It's cool that what I don't use to build my tops generally gets turned into bows, and what was too small for bow building is just about right for a fine custom knife. Now it's time to drop the gate on some more pigs so I can put this baby to work.
    Attached Files

Awesome looks like a fine piece of art too!

Comment

Very nice and mad skills

Comment

Thanks Trey.
        It's flat ground from .160 thick 1095 carbon steel and tempered twice at 400 deg for 2 hours each cycle and then a dip in ferric chloride for the patina. Hardness will be right around 61 to 62 RC but it will re-sharpen easy and hold an edge for a long time. Nuttin fancy about the sheath. I made 9 of those in the last two days. I like to carry horizontal when I'm driving so it's not in the way of the seat belt and such.
        You will love the way it takes the bark off a big hog.

Comment

Can't wait to put it to use.

Comment

Good lookin knife

Comment

FYI this tiger wood sands and finishes very nicely and with a few coats of Teak oil will buff to a nice shiny luster. Gonna make a few more with this wood. I like how it darkens with age and light. I'll bet it makes some beautiful furniture.

Comment

knife

Originally posted by muzzlebrake View Post
                FYI this tiger wood sands and finishes very nicely and with a few coats of Teak oil will buff to a nice shiny luster. Gonna make a few more with this wood. I like how it darkens with age and light. I'll bet it makes some beautiful furniture.
                whats the price if you make another one?

Comment

Originally posted by DEADEYE1 View Post
                  whats the price if you make another one?
                  Pm sent

Comment

Working...
                  X