4th grade homework help.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

4th grade homework help.

This common core stuff is driving me nuts! I'm helping my granddaughter with her homework. I use everything from simple addition and subtraction all the way up to trig on a daily basis. I have no clue what they are wanting on this. Help!

Click image for larger version

Name:	0117181558-00.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	14.6 KB
ID:	25136699

1 is smallersmaller then1/2 and 1of them is larger than1/2 in each example. Then again I was terrible in math

Comment

maybe its just looking at which fraction is more than 1/2 and which is less. in both examples one fraction is more than 1/2 and one is less.

Comment

Holy moly the future is looking bleak. The correct answer is they need to start teaching actual math in school again, but if I had to posit a guess it's that 1/2 is in between the other examples given?

Comment

It isn't Common Core - those are the state standards for 45 other states other than TX. TX uses their own set of standards.

The problem is trying to help her use benchmark fractions (common fractions such as 1/2) to compare other fractions together.

Best strategy would be for the first set, comparing 1/3 to 3/5... how does 1/2 compare to 1/3...bigger or smaller? how does 1/2 compare to 3/5...bigger or smaller? That way she only has to:

1/2 = 3/6 and 1/3 = 2/6, so the 1/3 is smaller than 1/2 and

1/2 = 5/10 and 3/5 = 6/10, so 3/5 is larger than 1/2.

Then by that comparison, 1/3 is smaller than 3/5 OR
          3/5 is greater than 1/3, either way.

Do the same for the next one - it is just trying to use the 1/2 as a point of reference since it is a little bit easier to work with.

Comment

Originally posted by kyleseipp View Post
            It isn't Common Core - those are the state standards for 45 other states other than TX. TX uses their own set of standards.

The problem is trying to help her use benchmark fractions (common fractions such as 1/2) to compare other fractions together.

Best strategy would be for the first set, comparing 1/3 to 3/5... how does 1/2 compare to 1/3...bigger or smaller? how does 1/2 compare to 3/5...bigger or smaller? That way she only has to:

Do the same for the next one - it is just trying to use the 1/2 as a point of reference since it is a little bit easier to work with.
            Yep

Comment

The people that came up with this would have stood in the corner a lot and would have been repeating third and forth grade until they learned how to add and subtract.

Comment

?/!

Comment

Crazy, simply crazy

Comment

Originally posted by kyleseipp View Post

I guess I was over thinking this. I just get real frustrated with the way math is being tough now days. Thanks for setting me straight on it.

Comment

Can they just teach them that if the bill is 6.37 and the customer gives them 11.37 how much change to give

Comment

You want to really blow their mind give them the 37 cents after they have rang it up. Like a deer in the headlights.

Comment

Originally posted by Jerry H View Post
                          Can they just teach them that if the bill is 6.37 and the customer gives them 11.37 how much change to give

Here's your five one dollar bills. Have a nice day

Comment

Originally posted by PYBUCK View Post
                            You want to really blow their mind give them the 37 cents after they have rang it up. Like a deer in the headlights.

“What is this for?” Is the common phrase used when I do that!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I think suzie is f'd

Comment

Working...
                              X