Logging

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Logging

I did a search for this and did see anything specific.

The lease I hunt is supposed to start logging for pines and sweet gums soon, about 200 acres. I don’t have experience with the aftermath and have a good idea of what to expect, but would like to hear from experience.

Just curious what impact will it have on game movement on the property when completed if cleanup isn’t done after? What should I expect will need to be done afterwards? Bush hog and tractor take care of it, or need to higher some bigger guns to handle to job?

Thanks,
    J

It’s devastating!
    Hopefully it’s a select cut just for certain wood, but money talks!
    Will be bountiful when new growth appears hang in there going to get tough, it scared me off a Oklahoma lease

Comment

The new growth that comes after will be a deer magnet. I've seen where deer come around the logging equipment at night to investigate. IMO it won't be all that devastating.

Comment

Originally posted by Coon View Post
        The new growth that comes after will be a deer magnet. I've seen where deer come around the logging equipment at night to investigate. IMO it won't be all that devastating.
        Agree. I know guys that kill big bucks every season on fresh logged properties. A member here did so this past season during gun season. Stay positive and hunt! The rut is a great time to sit over a large vantage point.

Comment

It may be different up here in Missouri but I had my 50 acres logged last year and I seen more deer on the place after that than in the last 5 years.

Comment

Skid steer. Revamp your feeder and stand area, shooting lanes, trail to and from stand/feeder, and make it nice for when the new growth starts.

The deer will be back as soon as the activity dies down. East Tx deer adapt to it.

Comment

Originally posted by JhuntsAlot View Post
              I did a search for this and did see anything specific.

The lease I hunt is supposed to start logging for pines and sweet gums soon, about 200 acres. I don’t have experience with the aftermath and have a good idea of what to expect, but would like to hear from experience.

Just curious what impact will it have on game movement on the property when completed if cleanup isn’t done after? What should I expect will need to be done afterwards? Bush hog and tractor take care of it, or need to higher some bigger guns to handle to job?

Thanks,
              J
              Don't be discouraged. If they are doing it now or late Summer, you will have every deer on the lease eating there. I love clear cuts or spot cuts and fifth row cutting, all of these are good places to hunt.

As far as cleanup, I would wait till after the season and burn it. The amount of growth will be phenomenal!

Comment

You need more info. If it is thinning, not much to it. You will lose cover for a bit.
                If it is a regeneration cut, you may lose a couple of good years. You will lose all cover, site prep about a year after may include herbicides and burning before planting. About second year after planting, you’re good.
                Hopefully there are some drains that will have SMZ’s left on them. They will be great hunting.
                As far as what you can do after, that’s probably a question for the landowner. Usually loading decks can be left for plots. Be aware that herbicides used may kill all your plots during first year after application.

Comment

Things will be a mess, bring a chainsaw and cut out new areas. When the new growth starts you will see a ton of deer.

Comment

I chase the skidders around on one large place I hunt. They eat the tops when cut and the brush and mess left behind make the best beds in town! Following years will be a tangled mess of browse and cover. I like it! But I’ve learned to hunt it
                    Last edited by Low Fence; 07-16-2018, 08:38 PM.

Comment

Thanks everyone. lots of good information given. The area is east TX area and is very thick.

I am told they are only going for those two tree types and leaving all the oaks, hickory’s and walnuts. Was hoping it would take care of the huge amount of underbrush on the property and open it up for more bow and rifle opportunities.

This gives some piece of mind that it may not be a complete loss for this coming season. If anything I will have a lot of work ahead of me next spring.

Thanks to all so far.

J

Comment

My experience with loggers SUCKS!!! They tore up our stands, feeders, pens, you name it. If they're local folks and you are a leaser from out of town... GOOD LUCK!! When I was a kid growing up, we hunted along Pine Island Bayou near the little town of Thicket. There was literally thousands and thousands of acres of undisturbed hardwoods bottoms... Pretty much the only thing left of those hardwood bottoms now is what Charlie Wilson was able to get preserved by fighting to create The Big Thicket National Preserve. The big timber companies came in that area and cut EVERY tree they could, then took bull dozers and dozed it up in wind rows and burned it... after that they set it out in little pine trees... That's what you see now, both sides of the road as you drive down Hwy 146 from Rye to Liberty... Dang little of the real Big Thicket left now... If you want to see what it used to look like go take a hike along Little Pine Island Bayou in the Lance Rosier unit of the preserve... It's all gone now...

Comment

They will probably leave a mess. There will be stumps, limbs, debris all in your way. The good news is after they replant they probably won't mess with it for about 20 years. Also deer will be eating all the new growth that comes up after land has been logged. It's not the end of the World. It also doesn't take very long for grass and brush to grow enough to make deer feel safe in it. You should be fine. Trim the Trees and shooting as everything grows back and make it how you want it.

Comment

Originally posted by SaltwaterSlick View Post
                            My experience with loggers SUCKS!!! They tore up our stands, feeders, pens, you name it. If they're local folks and you are a leaser from out of town... GOOD LUCK!! When I was a kid growing up, we hunted along Pine Island Bayou near the little town of Thicket. There was literally thousands and thousands of acres of undisturbed hardwoods bottoms... Pretty much the only thing left of those hardwood bottoms now is what Charlie Wilson was able to get preserved by fighting to create The Big Thicket National Preserve. The big timber companies came in that area and cut EVERY tree they could, then took bull dozers and dozed it up in wind rows and burned it... after that they set it out in little pine trees... That's what you see now, both sides of the road as you drive down Hwy 146 from Rye to Liberty... Dang little of the real Big Thicket left now... If you want to see what it used to look like go take a hike along Little Pine Island Bayou in the Lance Rosier unit of the preserve... It's all gone now...
                            Hey wait a minute!!! Didn’t YOU call me nature boy on another thread the other week?

Comment

yessir and it was well deserved.

Comment

Working...
                              X