Hostiles

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I've seen worse.

What you tend to forget is what an absolutely murderous place the west was.

Also, don't know if anybody here mentioned it, but this was supposed to have taken place in 1892.

I don't think the Comanches were still raiding at that time.

Comment

Originally posted by ezypikns View Post

Also, don't know if anybody here mentioned it, but this was supposed to have taken place in 1892.

Interesting. I haven't seen the movie yet, but the Comanche raids were pretty much over in the mid 1870's.

Comment

It’s entertainment for goodness sake - not a documentary.

We thought it was good.

Comment

The West could be a lawless and violent place, but it was also full of hardworking settlers, pioneers, buffalo hunters, trappers, miners, immigrant farmers, and religious fundamentalist.

The modern western wants to make out every Native American or frontiersman to be a murdering and raping pillager but had that been the case, the west would have never settled. The West was a land of opportunity, ripe for the taking. In Hostiles, a group of soldiers can’t seem to cross the country on the eve of the 20th century without encountering anyone that’s not trying to kill them. That’s just Hollywood.

Regarding Indian raids and depredations, I don’t know when the last Commanche “raid” was but there were sporadic and infrequent Indian and settler conflicts well into the early 1900s

Comment

I liked it but thought it was a little slow. Good movie though.

Comment

I was pumped when I watched the trailer. . Ended up renting it and was disappointed.
              The trailer had all the best moments in the entire movie. Not that great...

Comment

Y'all are crazy. I watched it again, and it was even better the second time.

Comment

No it took place in 1841. They even mention President Harrison giving the orders. He was only president for 40 days in 1941 before dying of pneumonia.

Comment

Originally posted by Take Dead Aim View Post
                    No it took place in 1841. They even mention President Harrison giving the orders. He was only president for 40 days in 1941 before dying of pneumonia.
                    It took place in 1892.
                    There were two presidents that were named Harrison

Comment

Originally posted by backwoods View Post
                      It took place in 1892.
                      There were two presidents that were named Harrison
                      Also....it does say 1892 in the movie description

Comment

Originally posted by TxAg View Post
                        Also....it does say 1892 in the movie description
                        I stand corrected. I always forget about his grandson. I always remember Harrison the 1st president for his short term.

Comment

I just watched it and liked it alot.. Very well written.
                          I know my dad would have liked it..

Comment

We liked it. To me, it didn't just come across as a white guilt, apologist Western regarding Indian genocide. There were one or two scenes where the soldiers say "we are sorry this happened,” but the take away, imo, is the line between good and evil is not always clear. Whites killed indians, indians killed whites, indians killed other indians and whites killed other whites. Nobody is completely innocent...we are all hostiles.

Comment

Originally posted by Sika View Post
                              We liked it. To me, it didn't just come across as a white guilt, apologist Western regarding Indian genocide. There were one or two scenes where the soldiers say "we are sorry this happened,” but the take away, imo, is the line between good and evil is not always clear. Whites killed indians, indians killed whites, indians killed other indians and whites killed other whites. Nobody is completely innocent...we are all hostiles.

I like your take on the movie! Couldn't have said it any better.

Comment

Originally posted by Sika View Post
                                Exactly what my wife and I took from it. First scene of the movie shows how savage the Indians could be. Later in the movies they show how the Whiteman could be savage. I thought it was a fair representation of both sides. I'm sure if you wanted to be close minded and be "triggered" you could have ignored the first part of the movie and get all worked up on liberal Hollywood.

Comment

Working...
                                X