Paper tuning issue

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Paper tuning issue

I’m at a loss here. The new/used recurve I just bought was tillered for split finger (according to previous owner). It shoots great, but I’m not getting perfect bullet holes when paper tuning. My left/right is dead on, so no issues with spine. But…I cannot get rid of a high-nock tear (about an inch high). I’ve tried everything I can think of when it comes to following the tuning rules.

Interesting enough though, out of desperation I tried shooting it 3 under yesterday because it was quite literally the only thing I hadn’t tried yet. Perfect holes. Every. Single. Time.

Any ideas here? Is this a form issue? Would you live with the high-nock tear and shoot split or switch over to 3 under?

Thanks for any help.

Randy

Do you have 2 nocking points, one above and one below your arrow? That is the very first thing I would try if you do not.

And I would not switch to 3-under because I do not like shooting that way, and am not as good shooting that way. YMMV

Bisch

Comment

What makes your bow tillered for split versus three under?...or how is it tillered that made it purportedly split finger preferential?

Byron
      Last edited by Briar Friar; 04-10-2017, 09:01 AM. Reason: HowTilleredSpake

Comment

Originally posted by Bisch View Post
        Do you have 2 nocking points, one above and one below your arrow? That is the very first thing I would try if you do not.

And I would not switch to 3-under because I do not like shooting that way, and am not as good shooting that way. YMMV

Bisch
        Yes, I have 2 nocking points.

I don't want to switch either since split is all I've ever known. I may just have to live with it. Like I said in original post, it still shoots great - just isn't tuned perfectly. It's probably a form issue...

Thanks Bisch.

Comment

Originally posted by Briar Friar View Post
          What makes your bow tillered for split versus three under?...or how is it tillered that made it purportedly split finger preferential?

Byron
          From my experience building longbows, tillering for split vs. 3-under changes how the limbs work together. It's not a huge change in how the limbs are tillered, but it is definitely different.

99% of the bows I've built have been tillered for split finger, in which the bottom limb is slightly stiffer than the top limb. Like an 1/8" different at the riser fade.

Shooting a recurve is new for me, so that's why I'm asking the question.

Randy

Comment

I wouldn't change my style to shoot a bow... too many bows out there to choose from to be messing with all that.

So, can we assume raising and lowering the nocking point didn't have any impact on your tears?

It could be form. You could be one of those guys that deflects the shaft when they draw back (a kinda torque on the arrow.) It could be that you are still too stiff (stiff looks like nock high sometimes.)

Really there are too many things that could cause it and I don't know the obvious ones to tell you. This is where having somebody watch you shoot really helps.

Comment

Originally posted by Randy M View Post
              From my experience building longbows, tillering for split vs. 3-under changes how the limbs work together. It's not a huge change in how the limbs are tillered, but it is definitely different.

99% of the bows I've built have been tillered for split finger, in which the bottom limb is slightly stiffer than the top limb. Like an 1/8" different at the riser fade.

Randy
              I highly doubt that the fact that it is a recurve has anything to do with it. I would bet you are doing something to cause it. If the tear is an inch high, that would drive me nuts, and I would have to keep playing till I figured out how to get it closer than that. I can usually always get the nocking point set so that there is no up and down tear. I sometimes end up with a sideways tear that is very minor and everything is so close that I don't mess with it.

Bisch

Comment

Originally posted by SwampRabbit View Post
                I wouldn't change my style to shoot a bow... too many bows out there to choose from to be messing with all that.

So, can we assume raising and lowering the nocking point didn't have any impact on your tears?

It could be form. You could be one of those guys that deflects the shaft when they draw back (a kinda torque on the arrow.) It could be that you are still too stiff (stiff looks like nock high sometimes.)

Really there are too many things that could cause it and I don't know the obvious ones to tell you. This is where having somebody watch you shoot really helps.
                Yeah, I think I need someone to watch me. Thank you sir.

Comment

I highly doubt that the fact that it is a recurve has anything to do with it. I would bet you are doing something to cause it. If the tear is an inch high, that would drive me nuts, and I would have to keep playing till I figured out how to get it closer than that. I can usually always get the nocking point set so that there is no up and down tear. I sometimes end up with a sideways tear that is very minor and everything is so close that I don't mess with it.

Bisch
                  It's bugging the snot out of me too. I'm way to OCD. I'm trying to convince myself to just accept it, but I know that won't happen.

I'm going to tinker some more tonight. I wonder if I'm putting some kind of weird pressure on the string with my top finger when shooting split.

Thanks for all your help.

Comment

Have you paper tuned longbows without this issue?

Bisch

Comment

Try dropping top finger while shooting split, could be undo pressure with fingers shooting split, just a guess

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Comment

Randy
                        Cool. Thank you! Good luck.

Byron

Comment

Have you paper tuned longbows without this issue?

Bisch
                          My longbows shoot through paper perfectly, with nothing more than applying the basics of 'paper-tuning'. Meaning...high tear? - move nocking point down, etc.

I also cut my longbows well past center, making them dang near a center shot bow.

I really wish 3D shoots were on Saturdays so I could make a few of them. I think hanging with a few of you could do wonders for me. Sundays are really difficult for me to make.

Randy

Comment

Originally posted by hammackc View Post
                            Try dropping top finger while shooting split, could be undo pressure with fingers shooting split, just a guess

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk
                            I like it. Trying tonight...

Comment

I really wish 3D shoots were on Saturdays so I could make a few of them. I think hanging with a few of you could do wonders for me. Sundays are really difficult for me to make.

Randy
                              You are not alone, I am in the same boat regarding 3D shoots and Sundays.

Comment

Working...
                              X