No announcement yet.

Spring Food plots, getting ready.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

That’s what is was worried about, think I went a little lite this go around. I was really rushed on time and was just trying to get some seed in the ground before the rain this weekend. May have to reseed some areas.

Comment

Originally posted by KactusKiller View Post
      That’s what is was worried about, think I went a little lite this go around. I was really rushed on time and was just trying to get some seed in the ground before the rain this weekend. May have to reseed some areas.
      It is still early enough to reseed, the doves will find some of it though.

Comment

I broadcast as well then use my disk plow over it. I set it where the disks are only touching the soil about 1-2” just to stir the soil and cover everything. My soil is pretty sandy.

Comment

I did about 50# of spring plot mix and about 20# of sunflowers for about 2 acres.

Comment

Originally posted by KactusKiller View Post
            I did about 50# of spring plot mix and about 20# of sunflowers for about 2 acres.
            I would just go buy a 50 pound bag of Iron Clay Peas and reseed on top of what you already planted. If you got germination now, I dont think I would disc it up.

Comment

Originally posted by Radar View Post
              50 pounds Cow peas, 10 pounds Sunn Hemp and 6 pounds Peridovic Sun Flowers. So 66 pounds total per acre, but I am broadcasting the seed and not using a grain drill. Lot of seed goes to waste when broadcasting.

I mix mine in the hopper with a drill and mortar mixing auger, I use scale and make a reference mark on a bucket for 5lbs of each seed. I just fill the bucket to the reference mark and dump it in the hopper.

[ATTACH]953678[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]953679[/ATTACH]
              Thats a great mix. I will be curious to see how the ratio of sunn hemp to cow peas works. Using a drill last year I had a field with 8lbs/acre of sunn hemp then cow peas, soybeans,and sunflower and the sunn hemp ended up choking everything out. Where I used only 6 lbs/acre hemp worked fine. Will be interesting to see the difference with broadcasting.

Comment

Looks like you did it right. I get lazy and spray on top of ground and pray.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I’m not sure how they survived the winter and heavy spring rains, but the peas and beans I planted last summer/fall didnt germinate. They came up the last week or two and are blooming and actually doing very well. Hope they last a good while and the animals actually get to benefit from them and the hogs dont destroy them.

Comment

Looks great radar. I was going to plant a similar mix w/o sunn hemp next week but got another 2” of rain and can’t get the tractor in there to disc until it dries up.

This fall plot (oats, wheat, clover,winter peas, daikon) was looking pretty good Friday. I mowed it down a few weeks ago to chop the radishes up. I like to put in a summer crop, but maybe just leave it until the fall?

Comment

Originally posted by Mountaineer View Post
                      Looks great radar. I was going to plant a similar mix w/o sunn hemp next week but got another 2” of rain and can’t get the tractor in there to disc until it dries up.

This fall plot (oats, wheat, clover,winter peas, daikon) was looking pretty good Friday. I mowed it down a few weeks ago to chop the radishes up. I like to put in a summer crop, but maybe just leave it until the fall?

That is real nice plot, do you think it will take the summer heat?

Comment

[ATTACH]953775[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]953776[/ATTACH]

Took a few pics yesterday.
                        Last edited by Radar; 06-05-2019, 04:52 PM.

Comment

[ATTACH]953778[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]953779[/ATTACH]

Deer are keeping it mowed for me.
                          Last edited by Radar; 06-05-2019, 04:52 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Radar View Post
                            That is real nice plot, do you think it will take the summer heat?
                            Nope it'll get fried, but I think it's thick enough to suppress the weeds and improve the soil quality, which is what I'm going for in addition to a food source on this plot. There is plenty of natural food for the few deer around here.

Comment

Two weeks since I planted. It's starting to sprout and the deer are curious

Comment

Once they figure out its good eats, they will mow it down.

Comment

Working...
                                X