No announcement yet.

Well Crap

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

At 9 years old I clipped onions in New Mexico side by side migrant workers that were called by another name back then. Many of you may know but since I am white I would be labeled a racist for calling them by the name they wore as a badge of honour. I chopped cotton and picked jalapenos with them in Arizona and became friends with many of them. They traveled by bus to and from Mexico daily to work.

Comment

Originally posted by Hocks & horns View Post
      Most ranchers are not on welfare. Most ranchers don't hire illegal help because it's cheap. They hire them because you can't count on Americans to do the job. Go to any feed store or construction company and ask what the turnover rate is. Young people today don't want a starting out job, they all see themselves as equal. They don't understand working their way up.
      It works the other way too. If we didn't have illegals driving down labor costs, the going rate for picking maters might be $20 an hour. Would probably get a lot more American laborers that you could count on for the true American market wage.

Comment

Being around ag all my life and having two ag economics degrees this has been a very interesting conundrum for decades.
        Originally posted by JFISHER View Post
        Migrant Farm Workers... not to be confused with ILLEGAL aliens.
        Great statement of clarification sir!
        Originally posted by LWC View Post
        It works the other way too. If we didn't have illegals driving down labor costs, the going rate for picking maters might be $20 an hour. Would probably get a lot more American laborers that you could count on for the true American market wage.
        Touche'...………….thus the conundrum in paying $4 for tomatoes at HEB and Kroger.

Comment

Originally posted by SaltwaterSlick View Post
          If all we were dealing with migrant workers, we could have an immigration policy to accommodate that, but what we have now is hundreds of thousands of immigrants that are almost all OTM's rushing our border with no intent on working in the fields... They are intent on our gubment (ultimately me n you) providing them with shelter, food, free school for their kids, free medical care and the list goes on and on... THAT's what I have a real problem with.

And I think Trump was wise to force Mexico to address it if for no other reason than Mexico's own people and their well-being...

Can’t say it any better.

Comment

Isn't that what the Democrats want? Raised minimum wage.
            You raise minimum wage to $20 and small business suffer and prices go up.

Comment

Originally posted by Landrover View Post

Touche'...………….thus the conundrum in paying $4 for tomatoes at HEB and Kroger.
              I’d rather pay $4 for tomatoes. We wouldn’t be paying for illegals healthcare and lone star cards. Taxes could be lowered.

Comment

Same, same. Some obviously don’t understand that. Economics 101.

Comment

Who said anything about a minimum wage???? I'm talking about a true free market Legal American Labor Wage. Without illegals forcing the market down. The true labor wage is much higher without 10 million plus illegals working at lower wages.

I figured Ironman would be along soon enough. He's usually arguing in favor of folks hiring illegals. Which is what has brought our border situation to the critical level it is. Speaking of economics 101, I'm only talking about simple supply and demand. Maybe we should call them widgets instead of illegal workers. It might be easier for you to understand. I don't claim to be the smartest guy in the room, but I do have a degree in economics

Comment

Who said anything about a minimum wage???? I'm talking about a true free market Legal American Labor Wage. Without illegals forcing the market down. The true labor wage is much higher without 10 million plus illegals working at lower wages.

I figured Ironman would be along soon enough. He's usually arguing in favor of folks hiring illegals. Which is what has brought our border situation to the critical level it is. Speaking of economics 101, I'm only talking about simple supply and demand. Maybe we should call them widgets instead of illegal workers. It might be easier for you to understand. I don't claim to be the smartest guy in the room, but I do have a degree in economics
                    The supply is the problem. The demand is there. I live this s**t every day. Where are all these workers you speak of? I start at $16hr. Send them my way. I’ll be waiting, but not holding my breath.

Comment

I would gladly pay more money if it meant paying for hard working Americans to make a decent wage.

I believe that's the problem. Short term profit that have long term effects on entire Communities and even Nations.

Comment

Originally posted by Ironman View Post
                        The supply is the problem. The demand is there. I live this s**t every day. Where are all these workers you speak of? I start at $16hr. Send them my way. I’ll be waiting, but not holding my breath.
                        There is a $ per hour where you will have all the legal workers you need for your business. Doesn't mean your business would still be as profitable. But there is a pay point where you would get quality legal workers. We won't ever know that point as long as there are millions of illegals and that will work for less and companies willing to hire them.

Comment

There is a $ per hour where you will have all the legal workers you need for your business. Doesn't mean your business would still be as profitable. But there is a pay point where you would get quality legal workers. We won't ever know that point as long as there are millions of illegals and that will work for less and companies willing to hire them.
                          If the company's wouldn't hire them, they wouldn't come ... At least not illegally.

Comment

The people of Walmart, Home Depot, Lowe’s etc. as well as school teachers, said hey. Your theory is extremely flawed.

Comment

Originally posted by Ironman View Post
                              The people of Walmart, Home Depot, Lowe’s etc. as well as school teachers, said hey. Your theory is extremely flawed.
                              I'd be glad to hear more. I'm saying if there weren't companies hiring illegals, the true cost of labor would be higher than it is now. We don't know exactly what that labor cost is, but it would be higher. That is not my theory. It is the law of supply and demand.

Comment

I'd be glad to hear more. I'm saying if there weren't companies hiring illegals, the true cost of labor would be higher than it is now. We don't know exactly what that labor cost is, but it would be higher. That is not my theory. It is the law of supply and demand.
                                Then explain to me how the wages of the people I mentioned above, who work for companies and school districts that make A HELL OF LOT MORE THAN ME, pay their employees less than I do, but yet have zero illegal competition in the workplace.

Comment

Working...
                                X