Question for Church folks...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Question for Church folks...

How far do you commute to church? And do you think that a family should serve in a church within their own community?

We have been at our current church, which we love, for 9 years. I served as Youth Pastor there for over six years and still teach small groups and play in the worship band. We moved up near Livingston almost two years ago and now the commute to church is 39 miles each way. It makes it a lot harder for our family to be as involved as we want to be. My wife got a job teaching in Livingston ISD next year where our kids go and I'm starting to think more and more that we should be plugged into a church in the community where we live. It's hard to think about leaving folks that have become like family to us, but I am feeling more and more like it may be time. So I'm curious to hear other's thoughts on commuting to a church versus serving in a local church in your own community.

Live in Porter go to church at Humble area first baptist. Takes 15 minutes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I think you should go to the church where you are comfortable and WANT to spend time at/helping/with...

Comment

I don't think there's one right answer. Whatever is best for you and your family is good.

Comment

Growing up we’d drive 20 miles one way. Now I’m spoiled as it’s only 2 miles.

Comment

Josh do what is best for your family brother. You know yall will be missed dearly if you choose to leave but sometimes you have to go where God leads you. If you feel it's time, im sure it's time.

Comment

I think you should go where God leads to go. Maybe it would be worth trying some new churches closer to you home to see if that's a good fit. If you and your family are getting fed spiritually, I would stay. Especially, if your kids are plugged in. However, that drive would make it tough to get them plugged in in my opinion. We go to Faith Bible church which is in The Woodlands off of Research Forrest. Its a bible based church and preaches the word, not like some of the major (very large in scale ie. Lakewood) which are more feel good motivational speech churches.

Come check it out and see what you think. Tons of kids at the church and I really enjoy the pastor.

Comment

community>sunday church service
                1. love god
                2. love people
                everything else works itself out

Comment

Originally posted by Shane View Post
                  I don't think there's one right answer. Whatever is best for you and your family is good.
                  You are right there there isn't one right answer that would apply to every situation like this. I want my kids to be plugged in, as my youngest two are now youth group age. The 78 mile round trip is tough.

Originally posted by hogslayer78 View Post
                  Josh do what is best for your family brother. You know yall will be missed dearly if you choose to leave but sometimes you have to go where God leads you. If you feel it's time, im sure it's time.
                  Thanks Mike. I've been praying about this and wrestling with this for over a year. I think it may be time to check out some local churches.

Originally posted by Buckshot1 View Post
                  I think you should go where God leads to go. Maybe it would be worth trying some new churches closer to you home to see if that's a good fit. If you and your family are getting fed spiritually, I would stay. Especially, if your kids are plugged in. However, that drive would make it tough to get them plugged in in my opinion. We go to Faith Bible church which is in The Woodlands off of Research Forrest. Its a bible based church and preaches the word, not like some of the major (very large in scale ie. Lakewood) which are more feel good motivational speech churches.

Come check it out and see what you think. Tons of kids at the church and I really enjoy the pastor.
                  It is very hard to find bible based churches, like you said... that's why it is hard to leave where we are now in New Caney. I really appreciate the invite but the Woodlands is farther than where we are commuting to now from Livingston. We definitely aren't just bench warmers so we want to be involved and serve wherever we are. The distance now is making that difficult. I think we are going to prayerfully visit a couple of local churches and see where God leads.
                  Last edited by Pineywoods; 06-19-2019, 01:38 PM.

Comment

My opinion, just like police, firefighters, teachers, school administrators, you should go to church where you live. That way you know local issues, know and worship with the people you live near, the community knows your face, and have a support community very close should something happen.

It's always tough to leave anywhere. My wife and I are moving to Colorado next summer, and I know leaving this church (we got married here) is going to be rough, but in the end, its a far better deal for our family.

Comment

My church is less than a quarter mile down the road. I'd say attend in the community you live, so you can be more involved without the burden of travel.

Comment

Originally posted by trjones87 View Post
                        community>sunday church service
                        1. love god
                        2. love people
                        everything else works itself out
                        Agreed

Comment

Sounds to me like you're thinking pretty clearly. One thing that I'd point out is that our primary focus as believers and followers of Christ is to take the Gospel to others and bring them into the fold... If you worship where you live and are involved with friends, neighbors, and school mates, it sure is easier to "invite them to church" when it is near by... My wife and I have a bit of an issue with this too. Our church is in Kingwood and we live in Tarkington almost 30 miles away... not likely our witness will be too strong in Tarkington, but we also serve in other ways too. Just my thinking as it bug's me too.

You are likely right if it's "on your mind"... just listen to that still, small voice when He's talkin' to ya... prayer works both ways brother.... You talk to Him, and when you listen, He talks back...

Comment

Originally posted by Pineywoods View Post
                            How far do you commute to church? And do you think that a family should serve in a church within their own community?

We have been at our current church, which we love, for 9 years. I served as Youth Pastor there for over six years and still teach small groups and play in the worship band. We moved up near Livingston almost two years ago and now the commute to church is 39 miles each way. It makes it a lot harder for our family to be as involved as we want to be. My wife got a job teaching in Livingston ISD next year where our kids go and I'm starting to think more and more that we should be plugged into a church in the community where we live. It's hard to think about leaving folks that have become like family to us, but I am feeling more and more like it may be time. So I'm curious to hear other's thoughts on commuting to a church versus serving in a local church in your own community.
                            We used to do the same, travel 20+ miles one way and 2 services on Sunday, 1 on Wedn. night, and music practices on Tues. nights. Did that for 8 years, I think. Finally moved to a church at half that distance, no town driving either so its much quicker. Much less wear and tear on our lives even though we left a LOT of friends at the other place, of course we see them occasionally at events.

Comment

Originally posted by SaltwaterSlick View Post
                              Sounds to me like you're thinking pretty clearly. One thing that I'd point out is that our primary focus as believers and followers of Christ is to take the Gospel to others and bring them into the fold... If you worship where you live and are involved with friends, neighbors, and school mates, it sure is easier to "invite them to church" when it is near by... My wife and I have a bit of an issue with this too. Our church is in Kingwood and we live in Tarkington almost 30 miles away... not likely our witness will be too strong in Tarkington, but we also serve in other ways too. Just my thinking as it bug's me too.

You are likely right if it's "on your mind"... just listen to that still, small voice when He's talkin' to ya... prayer works both ways brother.... You talk to Him, and when you listen, He talks back...
                              Yes sir, you are right.

Comment

Working...
                              X