Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Around the Campfire

Old 02-05-2018, 02:22 PM   #1
Bazo
Ten Point

Hunt In: Where I can
Default What generation Texan are you?

I’m a 5th generation Texan. My family came here in 1851.
Bazo is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-05-2018, 02:25 PM   #2
BitBackShot
Eight Point

Hunt In: Llano County

First, won't be last. Most of my family is in either Boston or the Carolinas. My folks moved to Texas when I was 10. When I was a Sr. in high school, they moved back to the Carolinas. I moved in with a friend until college. On my first date with my (now) wife (from Alabama), I told her I wasn't leaving Texas, so she should probably keep that in mind as things progressed.
BitBackShot is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-05-2018, 02:25 PM   #3
mudkat
Eight Point

Hunt In: rusk county

I think 6th great great great grandpa here in 1838-40
mudkat is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-05-2018, 02:27 PM   #4
bowsticker
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Kinney County, Brackettville

First but hopefully not the last
bowsticker is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-05-2018, 02:31 PM   #5
Jerry H
Ten Point

Hunt In: Hall County

At least the 3rd generation can't go back any further.
Jerry H is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-05-2018, 02:32 PM   #6
IkemanTX
Eight Point

Hunt In: Caddo

At least fifth on both sides, not sure before that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
IkemanTX is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-05-2018, 02:33 PM   #7
jay07ag
Ten Point

Hunt In: Angelina & Gonzales Counties, TX; SW Montana

7th on my moms side (through San Augustine County, 1831)
jay07ag is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-05-2018, 02:34 PM   #8
OleTomTalker
Ten Point

Hunt In: Sheridan, Victoria, Weesatche and Mississippi

1st
OleTomTalker is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-05-2018, 02:34 PM   #9
Pickaspotandbreathe
Ten Point

Hunt In: Hill county

6th
Pickaspotandbreathe is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-05-2018, 02:35 PM   #10
txpitdog
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Polk Co., TX & La Flore Co., OK

First gen. My kids are second gen

txpitdog is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-05-2018, 02:35 PM   #11
ColinR
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Roosevelt/Sonora

I think 4th. I get mixed up if it was my great or great great grandparents that settled here from Germany. Dad's side settled outside of Sandy just west of Johnson City and Mom's side outside of Bartlett.
ColinR is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-05-2018, 02:38 PM   #12
jerp
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Shackleford Co.

I was not born in Texas but my dad's people settled in Houston county in the 1850's so I guess that accounts for something...
jerp is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-05-2018, 02:39 PM   #13
Tx_Wader
Ten Point

Hunt In: Jackson County and Utopia

5th generation here.
Tx_Wader is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-05-2018, 02:39 PM   #14
MASTERS
Ten Point

Hunt In: In the brush....

5th on my moms side, 6th on my dads side
MASTERS is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-05-2018, 02:39 PM   #15
tonyterry
Six Point

Hunt In: Long star state

I’m not sure but my but my grandma’s great great grand fathers house was build around 1779 and is still up been moved to the Stephen f AUSTIN University, it called the old stone fort.

tonyterry is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-05-2018, 02:43 PM   #16
tvc184
Pope & Young

4 on my mother’s side and at least 4 on my father’s.
tvc184 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-05-2018, 02:43 PM   #17
donpablo
Ten Point

Hunt In: Iraan, Culberson County & Public Land
Default Naturalized

I’m a naturalized Texan. I was born in NM but am here for good. On my maternal grandmother’s side that family was here so far back they lived here when it was still Mexico. My grandmother would tell me stories of grandparents (or maybe great grandparents) who had neighbors who were moving when TX was annexed because they were proud, “Mexicans.” Her family new better than to abandon their home. Thank God for that decision.
donpablo is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-05-2018, 02:44 PM   #18
dagdog
Six Point

Hunt In: Haskell county

I get confused as well. But I believe I am fifth generation on my mothers side. Her family moved here in 1866 or so.
dagdog is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-05-2018, 02:46 PM   #19
DRT
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Jones and San Saba Counties and Missouri

I wasn't born here but I'm pretty happy about the fact that I have chosen to be here, raise a family here, live out my life here and have my ashes scattered here. Home is where you hang your hat and I don't think a person could find a better place to do that than Texas.
DRT is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-05-2018, 02:47 PM   #20
texan16
Ten Point

Hunt In: Freestone/Schleicher Counties

1st. Dad is a polock from Ohio and mom is a coon-azz from Ville Platte. They both ended up in Texas via the U.S. Army.
texan16 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-05-2018, 02:52 PM   #21
dcbrown
Pope & Young

I wasn't born here either, but I got here as fast as I could!
dcbrown is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-05-2018, 02:53 PM   #22
Stoof
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Will work for hunts.

I've made two who are first generation.
Stoof is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-05-2018, 02:54 PM   #23
silentstalker92
Eight Point

Hunt In: votaw

im at least 5th cause all 5 generations of us are still living. not sure how far back we go
silentstalker92 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-05-2018, 03:01 PM   #24
J Sweet
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Leon/Madsion County

My great great great grandpa was John Wayne and he single handedly defeated the Mexican hordes with an old hickory stick at that castle looking place in San Antonio across from the Ripleys Believe it or Not. So Im about as original as it comes.
J Sweet is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-05-2018, 03:01 PM   #25
BigWes
Eight Point

Hunt In: Grimes County

That's going to depend on which lineage I go through. The shortest is through either of my grandfathers. Both of them were born elsewhere but moved here as young men, so 2 generations. My paternal grandmothers lineage is at least 4 generations in Texas. Then there's my maternal grandmother's side, where I'm at least the 6th generation, possibly 7th. I've got the records in my great grandfathers personal memoir. I'm going to have to pull that out when I get home.
BigWes is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-05-2018, 03:03 PM   #26
BigWes
Eight Point

Hunt In: Grimes County

Quote:
Originally Posted by silentstalker92 View Post
im at least 5th cause all 5 generations of us are still living. not sure how far back we go
Dude, 5 generations living?!?! That's amazing. I hope yall have taken the time to get a picture of that. One of my favorite pictures is me with my dad, grandfather and great grandfather.
BigWes is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-05-2018, 03:08 PM   #27
SaltwaterSlick
Pope & Young

Not sure where my great grandfather was born, but he rode with the James Gang.. My grandfather's name was Jesse James Cheatom and he was born here in Texas... The gang had fled Missouri and come to Texas to hide out from the Feds n Pinkerton boys so that makes me at least 3 generations maybe 4 or more... My grandmother on that side was a Cherokee, and never had a birth certificate, but supposedly came from northeast Okla or SW Mo. My grandpa was sure fun to sit and listen to... He was born in 1883 and lived to be a hunert... Died in October... If he'd made it to January, he'd a been a hunert n 1... Was real healthy and mentally sharp until about 6-8 months before his death... He plowed a 1+acre garden with a dang merry-tiller when he was well into his 90's!! I'm a proud Texan, but come from a bunch of crooks!

Last edited by SaltwaterSlick; 02-05-2018 at 03:15 PM. Reason: tnik figners
SaltwaterSlick is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-05-2018, 03:11 PM   #28
KBM
Four Point

3rd on my dads from Hungary/Germany and on my Moms they where here when Texas was Mexico
KBM is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-05-2018, 03:13 PM   #29
kruppa24
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Concho

5th, my kids are the 6th
kruppa24 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-05-2018, 03:13 PM   #30
AntlerCollector
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Votaw, Hardin/Polk Co., TX. Bon Weir, Newton Co., El Dorado, Schleicher Co., TX.

4th at least. Great Grandfather settled in the Piney Woods of Votaw in the late 1800's. I sure wish his lazy butt would have kept going West to the Hill Country
AntlerCollector is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-05-2018, 03:25 PM   #31
BGlegal1
Four Point

Hunt In: Liberty County, Polk County

6th generation. My family settled near Palmer in Ellis County in 1846
BGlegal1 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-05-2018, 03:34 PM   #32
txisboi23
Four Point

Hunt In: Public Land, Bastrop and Wilson County

I am 5th generation. GGgrandparents made their home in Pecos County. Ggrandparents settled in Ft Stockton.
txisboi23 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-05-2018, 03:35 PM   #33
kurt68
Ten Point

Hunt In: Montgomery Co. and Rocksprings and "H"

4th generation on my Dads side. MY G.G.Grandparents homesteaded in Moscow, Texas in 1851. They came from Virginia.

I am a 10th generation American. The 1st ancestor that I have proof of is Thomas Harris 1573/1658 Born England died in Virginia.
kurt68 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-05-2018, 03:38 PM   #34
NBK75
Ten Point

Hunt In: Guadalupe

5th ... family came to Texas from Germany in the 1880’s
NBK75 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-05-2018, 03:39 PM   #35
rcm719
Ten Point

Hunt In: Sabine County

First in my bloodline, 2nd if you count the man who adopted me and gave me his last name.
rcm719 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-05-2018, 03:39 PM   #36
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Dry Creek Ranch-Real County

Here's some work on our family history my Aunt did.

Quote:
Your paperwork went in a few days ago and if all goes well you will be verified as a direct descendant of a Revolutionary War soldier.

1. His name was George Ridley who was born in Virginia Jan. 1737. He was not a spring chicken when he fought in the French and Indian War and later in the Revolution. He was called a Over Mountain Man. If your are old enough to remember Mel Gibson's movie "The Patriot" the location and battles depicted were the ones that our Captain Ridley fought in real life. He managed to sire 16 children and they all lived to adulthood. No mean feat in those days. After the war was over he moved his big family on rafts to settle in middle Tennessee. Right after landing they were attacked by Indians so after the battle he and his sons built a fort were the family lived for several years. I have a drawing of the fort done by the historian, Lyman Draper.

2. We are from his 10th child, Thomas Ridley, Esq, the first Sheriff of Williamson County, Tennessee. The Civil War Battle of Franklin took place on part of his land. None of his sons lived so we descent from one of his daughters, Mary Margaret.

3. Mary Margaret married a Virginian, George Jefferson Rine in 1830. The wedding took place in Nashville in the home of Captain George and Sarah Ridley. After the birth of sons, George and Thaddeus, George J. and Mary M. moved into newly opened Choctaw lands in Mississippi. They became Mormons and left Yalobusha Co., Miss. to travel to a Colony some where between Medina Co. and Boerne,Texas. George J. never took a second wife and soon quit the Colony to take up ranching. He also served in a local militia to defend against the Indians and later in the Civil War (at 57 yrs). He and his wife were buried some where around Pipe Creek near Bandera.

4. Thaddeus Rine was born in 1832 and left his family when he was about 14. He lived in other peoples homes as a laborer. He married Missouri Anne Pittman probably in Shelby Co., Tennessee. The Memphis area was a boom town of that era and was a good place to find work. In 1863, after his parent's Mormon phase was over he and Missouri Anne moved to be near them in the Bandera area. He quickly became the 2nd Sheriff of Bandera County and serve till late 1864. The Governor of Texas placed him in the Texas Home Guard, along with his Sheriff duties, to be sure to keep the settlers safe from Indians and Mexican bandits. He did not allow him to join the War until it's last days. After the War Thaddeus signed the Amnesty papers and quickly became Sheriff again. His father held out till the last day before signing. Thaddeus and his cronies on the Petit Court in Bandera managed to keep the Carpet Baggers at bay for the long years of Reconstruction. They were quite devious and down right sneaky with the dealings with the yankees. Grandma and I found records of their antics in the old jail and we gave them with his photo to the Bandera Courthouse. Thaddeus and Missouri Anne had 13 children and we are from Francis Josephine Rine, born in 1865.

5. Francis remembered her childhood as free and wonderful. She would tell me what it was like growing up in Bandera, riding their horses, ice skating on the ponds (really) and all the family weddings and parties. All that ended when her father forbade her to marry a gambler. She was head strong and married the next man who asked, Gus Huebner, Sr. They eloped to San Antonio. The marriage produced about 11 children. I am not sure because several died very early. I was about 9 or 10 when she had her accident and died so I can not personally say that her life was not all that happy. Others have told me that she did not have a good marriage and I found her divorce papers from Gus. They remarried about 3 years later. She was my favorite and I loved her very much. One of her sons was Gus Huebner, Jr. who was a home builder.

6. Gus Jr. met and married Ilma Marie Gembler. She was barely 16 and a little spoiled and wanted her way. Her mother died when she was nine and the baby of the family. Her father doted on her and her sister Edith and finally agreed to the marriage. Your grandma can remember the older people talking about that wedding and the party afterward. It must have been a dilly because it lasted three days. (You probably know the sad story of their lives-no need to retell it.) The marriage produced two children, Inez Marie born March 20, 1913 and three years later, Merl Arthur was born.

7. Inez Marie Huebner met George Clifton Guthrie in 1935. He was a soldier from Smithville, Oklahoma and was stationed at Fort Sam Houston. They married September 9, 1936 in Boerne, Texas with only one witness, Ilma Marie Huebner. Our family was very poor and the Depression had hit them hard. Inez kept the marriage secret because she would be fired from her job at the Telephone Company if married. The secret was not kept very long because I was born December 14, 1937. Fourteen months later a son was born on February 27, 1939. Mammy and your grandma swear that he was born on leap year and the doctor wrote another date so Clifton William Guthrie could have a birthday every year.

8. Now we come to you, the eighth person in a bloodline reaching back to the Revolutionary War.
1369 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-05-2018, 03:43 PM   #37
BrianL
Pope & Young

Hunt In: TX

4th on both sides, and they came from Louisiana and Tennessee.
BrianL is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-05-2018, 03:44 PM   #38
RLUM
Six Point

Hunt In: Montgomery, Walker, Leon and Kimble counties. RSA

5-6 gen i think. Fathers side fought at San Jacinto and Moms side fought at the Alamo.
RLUM is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-05-2018, 03:48 PM   #39
Patton
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Edwards, Hays, Caldwell

2nd. 13th gen American though.
Patton is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-05-2018, 03:48 PM   #40
staplehawk
Eight Point

Hunt In: Mullen, Lockhart, Hays and Circle Dug

7th, here. English and Welsh on my dads side. He was a well known 'Texas State Artist'. Grandfather held the discus record at UT for around 30 years I think. Still have a family Pennsylvania musket from Texas Revolution, hanging on my wall, with powderhorn. We have it all written down in books somewhere in my fam.

Last edited by staplehawk; 02-05-2018 at 03:53 PM.
staplehawk is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-05-2018, 03:50 PM   #41
Rack Ranch
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Knee Deep Salty Water

I had family on my Fathers side fight in the Texas Revolution, mostly around the Goliad area as Militia soldiers.
Rack Ranch is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-05-2018, 03:51 PM   #42
Ace141
Six Point

Hunt In: San Angelo, Anywhere I can

So far I am at least 4th generation as per my GGF born in Kendall Co. in 1889. I am trying to figure out where my G.G. Grandparents were born.
Ace141 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-05-2018, 03:52 PM   #43
wow
Ten Point

Hunt In: Colorado, Lavaca, and any where im invited

4th I think
son is 5th
grandsons are 6th
great grandchildren are 7th
wow is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-05-2018, 04:01 PM   #44
Tejas Wildlife
Ten Point

Hunt In: Where ever I happen to be!

I am 5th gen. Grandkids are 7th. Family originally came from England in early 1800. Several “notable” early Tatom’s. A Methodist preacher in Tn/Ky area who had 7 wives. Apparently life with him was hazardous to your health. Another, like S Slick mentioned, was partial to “borrowing” horses. One gentleman spelled his last name as Tatom, Tatem, Tatum, & Tathem in his own handwritten will! One Tatom died at Battle of Goliad. Looking up family history at old courthouses is interesting.
Tejas Wildlife is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-05-2018, 04:03 PM   #45
miket
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Grimes County, Victoria

Havent counted, but on my dads side the last ( great great? ) grandfather not born in Texas was born in Mexico in 1853.
miket is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-05-2018, 04:03 PM   #46
silentstalker92
Eight Point

Hunt In: votaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigWes View Post
Dude, 5 generations living?!?! That's amazing. I hope yall have taken the time to get a picture of that. One of my favorite pictures is me with my dad, grandfather and great grandfather.
We have. Its definitely not something you see everyday. We have actually taken two. When my son was first born and last year at Christmas. I enjoy recreating pictures and just seeing the time lapse.
silentstalker92 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-05-2018, 04:04 PM   #47
Thwackdaddy
Ten Point

Hunt In: Lometa By God Texas

Holy smokes.......
Hard to say
6th generation on my moms side.......John Peter Sjolander was the first from Sweden in the later 1800's.....
On my dads side though, who really knows!! Lineage was traced back to Cynthia Anne & Quanah Parker. So...who knows how long the Comanche bloodline has been here
Thwackdaddy is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-05-2018, 04:08 PM   #48
tonyterry
Six Point

Hunt In: Long star state
Default What generation Texan are you?

I just check cause I couldn’t remember but I’m 10th generation Texan! Jesus P Ybarbo (our grandpa) was born in 1857 in Nacadoches, TX and died 1956.
He was a Texas Ranger, he spent his youth as a cowboy driving herds of Longhorns cattle to Kansas City and Abilene before joining the Rangers. His great great grand father was Antonio Gil Y’Barbo one of the 1st settlers in the nacogdoches area before it was Tx he got a land grant from the queen of Spain

Last edited by tonyterry; 02-05-2018 at 04:15 PM.
tonyterry is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-05-2018, 04:16 PM   #49
SaltwaterSlick
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tejas Wildlife View Post
I am 5th gen. Grandkids are 7th. Family originally came from England in early 1800. Several “notable” early Tatom’s. A Methodist preacher in Tn/Ky area who had 7 wives. Apparently life with him was hazardous to your health. Another, like S Slick mentioned, was partial to “borrowing” horses. One gentleman spelled his last name as Tatom, Tatem, Tatum, & Tathem in his own handwritten will! One Tatom died at Battle of Goliad. Looking up family history at old courthouses is interesting.
Yea, my family name is also misspelled... Family originally came from Yorkshire, England in middle 1700's... Proper spelling is Cheatham... Most of my dad's brothers had their name "corrected", but my did nor I ever did... I'm the end of the road for the name since my son has already passed. Daughter will carry the lineage, but not the name... My grandsons are 6th generation Texans though with hopefully many more generations to come...
SaltwaterSlick is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-05-2018, 04:17 PM   #50
rvd
Ten Point

Hunt In: Texas

Quote:
Originally Posted by kruppa24 View Post
5th, my kids are the 6th
Same for me.
rvd is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top