Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Around the Campfire

Old 01-26-2018, 10:44 PM   #1
Txhuntr2
Eight Point

Hunt In: Kinney County
Default Webb County

Iím still looking for the right new lease and may have a place in Webb County lined up but I have a couple questions for you Webb county guys.

The place is not too Far East of Laredo off 359. Itís 1200ac within a much larger high fenced area. My concern is itís proximity to town. Iím told illegals are not a problem. Anyone familiar with the area have opinions on this general area As far as the Hunting or foot traffic?

How many guns can 1200ac comfortably support in the area? Weíre only looking to take 2 maybe 3 trophies a year.

There are a few tanks but no power or running water in camp. We need campers and generators. Whatís a good price per acre?

Iím intrigued by the south Texas brush country and I know this area has a reputation for growing big deer but Iíve never hunted it. Any other advice for a south Texas novice when evaluating a lease in the area?
Txhuntr2 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-26-2018, 10:46 PM   #2
Colton
Pope & Young

Hunt In: South Texas

South Texas is life changing hunting. Don’t worry about illegals, they won’t bother you.
Colton is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-26-2018, 10:51 PM   #3
Black Ice
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Jefferson & Brooks County
Default Webb County

Quote:
Originally Posted by Txhuntr2 View Post
Iím still looking for the right new lease and may have a place in Webb County lined up but I have a couple questions for you Webb county guys.

The place is not too Far East of Laredo off 359. Itís 1200ac within a much larger high fenced area. My concern is itís proximity to town. Iím told illegals are not a problem. Anyone familiar with the area have opinions on this general area As far as the Hunting or foot traffic?

How many guns can 1200ac comfortably support in the area? Weíre only looking to take 2 maybe 3 trophies a year.

There are a few tanks but no power or running water in camp. We need campers and generators. Whatís a good price per acre?

Iím intrigued by the south Texas brush country and I know this area has a reputation for growing big deer but Iíve never hunted it. Any other advice for a south Texas novice when evaluating a lease in the area?

3 or 4 people would be what I would want but my budget I would around 30

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Black Ice is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-26-2018, 10:52 PM   #4
BolilloLoco
Ten Point

Hunt In: Old Mexico, Washington County & Harris County

I would find out what has been going on inside that high fence for last 5-10 years.
What are they killing?
What is the buck:doe ratio?
Is there plenty of water?
How much is everyone else paying?
BolilloLoco is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-26-2018, 11:00 PM   #5
Txhuntr2
Eight Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by BolilloLoco View Post
I would find out what has been going on inside that high fence for last 5-10 years.
What are they killing?
What is the buck:doe ratio?
Is there plenty of water?
How much is everyone else paying?
This past year they killed a bunch of culls. Mostly 8s and 9s in the 120s. Iíve seen a couple of pictures of deer in the 140-150 range from killed two years ago. Iíve been told there are way to many does. Weíd have to work on that. Also told they let a lot of middle aged 10s walk this season and that theyíve spent the past couple years killing culls. Was told the herd is slowly improving. All this is word of mouth. There are a 3 or 4 large stock tanks on the place. Could probably use more surface water though.

Itís not a perfect place but the price is right so Iím trying to figure out if somethings up.
Old 01-26-2018, 11:06 PM   #6
laredoarcher
Ten Point

Hunt In: SoTex and Snodgrass

How close to town ?
laredoarcher is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-27-2018, 10:10 AM   #7
Txhuntr2
Eight Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by laredoarcher View Post
How close to town ?
PM sent
Old 01-27-2018, 11:16 AM   #8
chunkinlead
Eight Point

Hunt In: Mills Co.

Here are a few pictures of deer I took when I was going to college in Laredo. The area is definitely able to grow big deer. These were all right on campus. So being close to town would not be a bad thing.

chunkinlead is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-27-2018, 11:28 AM   #9
Artos
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Deep South TX

Quote:
Originally Posted by laredoarcher View Post
How close to town ?
That's what I was thinking...I roll in that way after Mirando City at least once a week. I got caught up in that mess a couple / 3 weeks ago when that trooper had the head on & got routed up to 59 at aguilares to make it to town. I was on fumes when I crawled in!!

How's your routine look the next week or so...wanna catch lunch?? Think I'll be going there Tuesday or Wed next week.
Artos is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-27-2018, 11:37 AM   #10
laredoarcher
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artos View Post
That's what I was thinking...I roll in that way after Mirando City at least once a week. I got caught up in that mess a couple / 3 weeks ago when that trooper had the head on & got routed up to 59 at aguilares to make it to town. I was on fumes when I crawled in!!

How's your routine look the next week or so...wanna catch lunch?? Think I'll be going there Tuesday or Wed next week.
Hey man. Yea for sure lemme know when youíre in town.
Old 01-27-2018, 11:59 AM   #11
laredoarcher
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by chunkinlead View Post

Here are a few pictures of deer I took when I was going to college in Laredo. The area is definitely able to grow big deer. These were all right on campus. So being close to town would not be a bad thing.

Yea man. Friggin monsters on campus. Thatís Killam land.
Old 01-27-2018, 12:03 PM   #12
dgilbert
Ten Point

Hunt In: Coke Co

Don't know if I missed or not, how big is the high fence? Might, might not be a concern.
dgilbert is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-27-2018, 12:28 PM   #13
roysmoke
Ten Point

Hunt In: Hill Country

Quote:
Originally Posted by Txhuntr2 View Post
This past year they killed a bunch of culls. Mostly 8s and 9s in the 120s. Iíve seen a couple of pictures of deer in the 140-150 range from killed two years ago. Iíve been told there are way to many does. Weíd have to work on that. Also told they let a lot of middle aged 10s walk this season and that theyíve spent the past couple years killing culls. Was told the herd is slowly improving. All this is word of mouth. There are a 3 or 4 large stock tanks on the place. Could probably use more surface water though.

Itís not a perfect place but the price is right so Iím trying to figure out if somethings up.
Are you actually talking to the people that were hunting it this season or the landowner? I would want to know why it is available and affordable in Webb County under high fence.
roysmoke is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-27-2018, 12:32 PM   #14
Cull hunter
Eight Point

Hunt In: Catarina

Is this near walker country?
Cull hunter is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-27-2018, 01:16 PM   #15
Big pig
Ten Point

Hunt In: Goliad and Leon Co.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colton View Post
South Texas is life changing hunting. Donít worry about illegals, they wonít bother you.
This. The management of the property will determine how many mature bucks you kill, not necessarily big trophies.
That area is good hunting.
I would worry more about poachers and thieves than illegals.

BP
Big pig is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-27-2018, 01:27 PM   #16
pilar
Ten Point

Hunt In: Sisterdale and el dorado , Jeff Davis, refugio/sinton
Default In a crowd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big pig View Post
This. The management of the property will determine how many mature bucks you kill, not necessarily big trophies.
That area is good hunting.
I would worry more about poachers and thieves than illegals.

BP
I have hunted all around that area, illegals aren't a huge deal.
1200 acres = 4 bow hunters or 3 gun unless it is already fine tuned on management
pilar is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-27-2018, 05:12 PM   #17
J-Jac
Ten Point

Hunt In: Webb & Zapata

Right on with what other hunters have said. Need to know how big the whole high fence acreage is? What have they harvested the last 3 yrs, ratios, etc. By default the area should grow 150 class deer on the high end. Once you add some type of management related to deer /acre and a sex ratio balance with a supplemental feed program, the results should be excellent. With that being said, from what you have stated about the place, I wouldn’t pay more than $10 x acre related to the lack of camp/power/water. I agree with Pilar, I would limit it to 3 rifle hunters and or 4 bowhunters.
J-Jac is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-03-2018, 07:22 AM   #18
Joel
Ten Point

My buddy from work sent me this pic last week. Supposedly happened at a golf course in Laredo. Shame! he looked young with plenty of potential.

Joel is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-04-2018, 10:01 PM   #19
Txhuntr2
Eight Point

That’s a shame. ^^^

We looked at the place Saturday and did end up taking it. We are really excited about Hunting that area. The senderos are overgrown but getting re-dozed next month. There was a ton of guajillo, black brush, huisache, etc. Plus the ponds are all spilling over their banks.

Thanks for all the advice. Now the hard part. Moving a ton of stands, feeders, vehicles, and a cabin from Val Verde to Webb County.