No announcement yet.

Practicing for Long Range Hunting Shots

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

just curious but how many of you that hunt out west actually take these 500-1000 yard shots. is it common?

not criticizing just trying to learn something.....

thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by TxArcheo View Post
      just curious but how many of you that hunt out west actually take these 500-1000 yard shots. is it common?

thanks.
      5-700 on Aoudad elk and mule deer is fairly common.

Comment

Originally posted by kcmarullo View Post
        I use the kestrel and the br2 g7 range finder. Good luck on your hunt.
        Same here
        Last edited by splitbeam145; 01-24-2018, 08:34 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by TxArcheo View Post

thanks.
          Shot cow elk at 800 last year. Light breeze and a solid rest gave me confidence in shot after shooting 1200yds in 15mph swirly wind couple weeks prior

Comment

Originally posted by gneimeth View Post
            Thank you for the feedback and advice - the dope sheet is on my todo list along with lots of practicing over the next 9 months...
            Hey I see you’re in Round Rock. If you’re looking for a place to shoot, Copperhead Creek shooting club between Marble Falls and Lago Vista has a 600 yard range. Membership is a bit pricey but when I go to use the long range I’m usually the only one there...which is nice.

Comment

Practicing for Long Range Hunting Shots

Geoballistics makes a weather flow wind meter that feeds wind speed and direction to a phone app which then corrects the table for current conditions. This set up is much less expensive than Kestrel. I have used mine with success and I saw several in use at the NALRA shoots we went to.

Chrono your rifle and then shoot at multiple longer distance and then adjust fps and/or BC until your results match’s the chart.

Now go practice, in wind, a lot.
              Last edited by bboswell; 01-24-2018, 08:53 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Sika View Post
                Hey I see you’re in Round Rock. If you’re looking for a place to shoot, Copperhead Creek shooting club between Marble Falls and Lago Vista has a 600 yard range. Membership is a bit pricey but when I go to use the long range I’m usually the only one there...which is nice.
                And Best of the West in Liberty Hill has 1000 yards. Austin gun club I think it is has a mile range.

Comment

Thought you didn’t like that one. Said a range officer was rude or something?
                  I’ve thought of going over there but it always looks busy.

Comment

[QUOTE=trophy8;13129636]And Best of the West in Liberty Hill has 1000 yards. Austin gun club I think it is has a mile range.[/QUOTE

I’m gonna try the one in Liberty Hill since it’s somewhat close.

Great advice from everyone- I’m learning every time I get on here.

G.

Comment

Originally posted by Sika View Post
                      Thought you didn’t like that one. Said a range officer was rude or something?
                      I’ve thought of going over there but it always looks busy.
                      They fired him and another. So many folks have had complaints about them. It’s been great ever since!! I’ve never been on a weekend. They said it’s nuts. I was by myself the other day. Cold as heck but it was nice to have the long rifle range to myself lol. Learned long ago to not go to a public range on the weekend haha

Comment

Aim small miss small!

Comment

I learned how to shoot long distance in high winds in Kentucky

Comment

As mentioned, go shoot at different distances and get your dope. Practice wind calls and go put rounds down range. Also, I've seen kestryls mentioned several times. It's a decent tool but don't put all your eggs in that basket. Just because the wind is a certain direction/speed where you're holding that thing doesn't mean it will be the same the everywhere between you and your target. Stress shoots will absolutely make you a better shot as well.
                            I would also practice holding for elevation along with dialing. Depending on the situation I would switch between the two. Best to be comfortable with both. I always hold for wind.

Comment

Working...
                            X