On Hogs, Deer, Dead Cows and Responsibility

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

On Hogs, Deer, Dead Cows and Responsibility

"AND THE NO.1 THING A HOG HUNTER DOESN'T WANT TO find after shooting at a hog?" A DEAD COW!

We found one. It had been dead for a day. It was bloated, stiff, starting to smell of decay. The buzzards had started on it. It had a bullet hole in its stomach.

The people who shot it didn't bother to let the Landiwner know, assuming they werer even aware of what they did. They left it to give me a heart attack!

I took pictures and texted them to the landowner. I obviously did not want to get blamed in any way for killing someone's cow.

Even if you know that you did not shoot it, when you walk up and find a dead cow in the thermal and the I2, it certainly creates moments of self-doubt and a review of everything you just did and identified as a target.

In this case, some shooters had been using the range the day before. Apparently one of them managed to miss the berm. Either by shooting over it, or under and skipping around over the berm. Or maybe the cows where on the Range and they thought they were shooting around them. We do not know.

The fact is, it does not matter. Someone shooting on the Range did not or was not aware of where their bullets were going.

As a shooter, we are responsible for ensuring that our projectiles do not leave the range. When hunting, we are charged with the responsibility of ensuring that the area behind the Target animal is clear of friendly animals.

Too many times I see people shooting over water and skipping rounds off of the water not realizing that they are landing Somewhere over the berm and out of the range property. I've also seen people shoot over the berm.

As a Hog Hunter, I often hunt in mixed environments. I am always finding deer with the Hogs. I often I'm hunting in areas that have cattle and caps mixed in with the Hogs and the deer. It is very easy to get focused on the pegs and not adequately assess the environment that is down range of the pigs. If a projectile fully penetrates the pig it will be going somewhere. You certainly do not want it to go into a cow or deer behind the pig.

Target identification is also a problem. Hogs, deer and cows that are laying down or feeding with thier heads down, often look a lot alike when you first see them in the night vision or thermal units. We are legally responsible for knowing what are Target's are and probably identifying them.

Legally, we are responsible for the damage of those projectiles do. We as the shooting Community must keep that in mind while we are practicing our Sport and exercising our 2nd Amendment rights.

Let's face it, we do not want to be this guy who is getting a call from the landowner and a bill for a dead cow. Not only is it expensive, but you almost certainly will not be invited back to shoot and hunt on the landowners property.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Sad, really sad to see that. I'm glad you called ownwe to advice him. I'd be devastated.

Comment

Yep. I know the owner and wanted him to know.

Comment

Great reminder and advice. The ranch I hunt has horses, cows, and donkeys free roaming the entire property. It's always on my mind, as I've seen the cows laying under a tree far down range from my original planned shooting lanes and horses / donkeys suddenly come running past my blind. Situational awareness is the key. I'd never want to have to make that phone call. I would, if the unfortunate ever happened. But I don't want to have to... so I try to be extremely careful.
        All the best,
        Glenn

Comment

Good post that everyone needs to read and think about

Comment

Good write up. Agree completely. Some people are very neglegent when it comes to shooting. One thing I am very **** about is what is beyond what I am shooting at.

Comment

Terrible story that needed telling.

I've seen you post at your range and that you've had to shut down for cows.

How did the LO take the news? Hopefully he just sends a bill for his loss and not penalize the entire group for what could have been an accident.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by onetondodge View Post
                Good write up. Agree completely. Some people are very neglegent when it comes to shooting. One thing I am very **** about is what is beyond what I am shooting at.
                This! Several years ago a neighbor had a "poorly constructed berm" that he and his sons would let some lead fly! Our Ranch house was about 600 yards +/-, on a hill, directly up "wind" from their shooting lane.

One afternoon, two of my son's had rode our horses up the hill to the house. We had several folks present and heard a half dozen rounds "zinging" up around us. I jumped in my truck and went to his Ranch and told him what was going on. With my background, I promptly informed him there were legal ramifications for "stray shots," plus it was Dammed Dangerous. He was a great guy and there were no more zingers for several weeks while he made his range safe!

Now, I have taught my son's, me included...to ALWAYS look beyond the game we are shooting at! Accidents happen and will happen, but due diligence for responsible shooting should always be first. I applaud you for contacting the owner and just thankful it was not a "2 legged" critter that did not suffer the same fate!

Comment

I've seen people do some dumbass **** once they see pigs.

Comment

I have let folks who wanted to hunt hogs on my place several times. Almost always I ended up regretting it. Rutted up fields from 4 wheelers, corn bags, water bottles, and deer shot. They baited the hogs and attracted more hogs than ever after they left. Never again.
                    Folks that get their panties in a bind because they aren't allowed to hunt hogs for free can pound sand. They will never cross my fenceline with my permission ever again.

Comment

wow what a story glad you shared it!

Comment

complete BS!!! I hunt many places with cows and the only way this can happen is if you have POS optics. Hope word gets out of these irresponsible hunters

Comment

Bad deal all around. In my mind the most important thing is that the landowner gets compensated for his loss. I would love to know how it really happened, whether they somehow mistook the cow for a pig or what. There is always the possibility it was 100s ( or even a thousand ) of yards downrange and the result of a miss and richochet. Not that it would excuse it, but at least it would lean more towards an "accident" rather than neglegence. Of course the owner should be compensated either way.

Comment

My thought is That it was carelessness or accident from cows being downrange. Based on who was out there the day before.

Comment

That'll bite. She looks like a fresh killed fat "HIGH DOLLAR" cow to me.

Comment

Working...
                              X