Guys who shoot both . . .

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Guys who shoot both . . .

I took my Hoyt out for the first time since the last weekend of deer season. That weekend it killed three deer and a pig. I shot it well enough. Within a couple of ends I was shooting under 2" groups at 20 yards. Close to inch groups.

I learned a couple of things.
    1.) If I'm paying money to hunt it I need to take the Hoyt.

2.) You have to make sure you don't cant your compound.

3.) I'm discouraged that I still feel that way on # 1.

Sent from my SM-J710MN using Tapatalk

I have a CRX32 that hasn't seen daylight in years.
    Can't bring myself to get rid of it.

Comment

So I guess your title doesn't really pertain to to me anymore.

Comment

I've only had the Hoyt a year.

Comment

Is this with a Trad bow?
          " Within a couple of ends I was shooting under 2" groups at 20 yards."

Comment

shooting a recurve helped my compound shooting out greatly, I still shoot mine and will use it a handful times during the season because ive had it for so long that I love hunting with it still, shooting both shouldn't interfere with form, using both... because its just that, just form

Comment

Originally posted by White Falcon View Post
              Is this with a Trad bow?
              " Within a couple of ends I was shooting under 2" groups at 20 yards."
              Nah but I started to put rounds and it didn't sound right.

I shot the Widow this morning. Twenty yard groups were a little bigger than 2 inches but acceptable. I'll take it back out in a while as well.

Comment

I view the compound now, like how most compounders view the crossbow. I would shoot it if I couldn't physically manage the stickbow but wanted to still hunt the archery season. There ain't nothing wrong with it... just isn't my cup of tea any more. I would just whip out a gun otherwise.

I believe confidence is a major factor. I have reached a point, personally, where I don't feel like I need the compound to be successful... I can manage just fine with trad gear at trad distances. But it has taken 3 years and nearly a dozen critters to get to that point.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

Comment

If you consistently shoot 2" groups with a trad bow at 20 you have no worries with accuracy for hunting shots. The difference in 1" is negligible. I say hunt with what you want to hunt with I use every weapon you can imagine. I hunt because I like to eat deer I really don't get to excited about it anymore it's fun but also a necessary chore. I don't care anything at all about saying I'm trad or compound or rifle or Xbow I prefer to say I'm stuffed after eating backstrap

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I'm not there. I wish I were. I take it hunting when I go but with so much work on the ranch I haven't hunted much and the pigs seem to have found better places to be. Great for the deer but not me. I went to Threefingers. 3 of us sit for pigs. I was the only one who didn't shoot one. Not getting many chances to build that confifence.

The target is pretty scared of me though.[emoji1]

Comment

Originally posted by Dkincaid View Post
                      If you consistently shoot 2" groups with a trad bow at 20 you have no worries with accuracy for hunting shots. The difference in 1" is negligible. I say hunt with what you want to hunt with I use every weapon you can imagine. I hunt because I like to eat deer I really don't get to excited about it anymore it's fun but also a necessary chore. I don't care anything at all about saying I'm trad or compound or rifle or Xbow I prefer to say I'm stuffed after eating backstrap

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                      No sir I'm 4 to 5 inches at 20 with my trad bow. I definitely shoot better groups but I open a few up a little. Normally my first shot I shoot is from 20 or 15 and I'm usually comfortable with it being a kill shot.

Comment

theirs no rule that says you can't shoot both, enjoy them both....I enjoy practicing with my compound at 70-100 yards, it helps with the short shots, even with the strugglestick, makes those targets seem a chip shot..

Comment

Sold my compound years ago.

Do what makes you happy.

Compounds stopped being fun for me.

Comment

Yeah I just was rearranging a few things trying to find something and decided to sling a few with it. I'm going to get the string replaced and take it out a little more often but I really enjoy shooting my recurve more.

I just KNOW when I let go of an arrow with the compound it's going to hit where I need it to. With my recurve I'm still a little apprehensive each shot. Time and success will change that.

Comment

DRT...keep the Darton get rid of the Hoyt..unless youre referring to the Buffalo. When SHTF and you need meat past 40 on the table and get it silently...youll get it done.
                              Last edited by Briar Friar; 06-17-2017, 05:09 PM. Reason: NoHoytSpake;)

Comment

Working...
                              X