Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Which scope preference of these for rifle build?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Which scope preference of these for rifle build?

A buddy and I have been working on a Tikka build in 6.5 Creedmoor and I'm looking for my first variable mil scope for it. I've never owned the scopes listed below except for a fixed 12x SWFA and only looked through the Vortex HS-T a buddy owned, but I like both of them. Currently I'm leaning towards the SWFA because of the price difference, but I would also really like the Vortex since I've looked through one. The rifle will more than likely become my primary hunting rifle. Of the 3 which one would you go with? Any other scope options in this price range y'all would recommend? I'm in the market for one right now, so if there is a used one, I'm all ears.

Vortex Viper HS-T 30mm 4-16x 44mm side focus 1/10 MIL Adjustment VMR-1 MRAD reticle - $569
    Zero stop
    2nd focal plane

Athlon Optics Midas BTR 30mm Tube 2.5-15x 50mm side focus Illuminated APMR1 reticle - $569 (could probably get it cheaper since a buddy is a reseller of Athlon)
    No zero stop
    2nd focal plane

SWFA SS 3-15x42 Tactical Rifle Scope Mil-Quad reticle - $449
    Guessing it does NOT have zero stop
    2nd focal plane

I don't think the Vortex Viper has a real zero stop, you have to shim it. I had that exact scope on my Tikka 7mag and it was solid for the money. I'm not familiar with the other two..

I'm currently building a 6.5 Creedmoor as well and I'm leaning towards the new Gen 2 PST FFP.. Realized I'd rather just pay a little bit more and get every feature I want..

Comment

For a sub $500 4-12 scope, check out Leupold's Mark AR Mod1. Mil-dot reticle with mil clicks, AO, and pretty solid glass. Honestly a zero stop isn't a huge deal with the flatter shooting rounds, I can dial out past 800 yards with a single turn. There is some information on adding a zero stop to those scopes, but it limits you to one turn.

Comment

Keep leaning towards SWFA..
        I have 3 never had an issue.
        12x is ALOT of scope. I wouldn't get more then a 10. But that's me...

Comment

So that SWFA is the SFP. I think that is the best choice. Love the 3-15's. The zero stope can be fixed. If your looking for one I will make you a deal on one.

Comment

I have the Vortex HS-T 4-16 on my Ruger 6.5 Creedmoor and am really liking it so far. Seems to track well. And this may complicate your decision, but the HST is on DVOR.com right now for $455.

Comment

I have a Vorex Diamondback on my AR and am really pleased with the clear optics.

Comment

Out of those three, I would go with the Athlon. If it was me, I would save up more money for a better scope. I've heard good thing about the Athlon, it's probably the best in that price range.

Comment

QUOTE=gatorgrizz27;12284971]For a sub $500 4-12 scope, check out Leupold's Mark AR Mod1. Mil-dot reticle with mil clicks, AO, and pretty solid glass. Honestly a zero stop isn't a huge deal with the flatter shooting rounds, I can dial out past 800 yards with a single turn. There is some information on adding a zero stop to those scopes, but it limits you to one turn.[/QUOTE]

I hadn't thought of going that route, but will definitely look into them.

Originally posted by snipermedic View Post
                  So that SWFA is the SFP. I think that is the best choice. Love the 3-15's. The zero stope can be fixed. If your looking for one I will make you a deal on one.
                  PM sent last night sir!! Actually it was early this morning. Thank you!

Originally posted by Rswan13 View Post
                  I have the Vortex HS-T 4-16 on my Ruger 6.5 Creedmoor and am really liking it so far. Seems to track well. And this may complicate your decision, but the HST is on DVOR.com right now for $455.
                  I'll go look real quick to see if they still have that up...

Originally posted by Shaun View Post
                  I have a Vorex Diamondback on my AR and am really pleased with the clear optics.
                  I've heard good things also about that particular model, but looking for a scope with mil reticle and mil adjustments currently. Thank you though!

Originally posted by Maxlab View Post
                  Out of those three, I would go with the Athlon. If it was me, I would save up more money for a better scope. I've heard good thing about the Athlon, it's probably the best in that price range.
                  I guess I need to put my hands on one to look through it first... Thank you!

Comment

try this from Camera land

Vortex Viper 6.5-20x50 PA - Mil Dot #VPR-M-06MD
                    Click HERE for Accessories
                    IN STOCK--READY TO SHIP

Classification: Tactical, Hunting
                    Magnification: 6.5-20x
                    Dimensions: 14.40"
                    Weight: 21.6 oz
                    reg $469.99
                    save $170.00
                    $299.99
                    More info

Comment

Originally posted by txlongshot View Post
                      try this from Camera land

Vortex Viper 6.5-20x50 PA - Mil Dot #VPR-M-06MD
                      Click HERE for Accessories
                      IN STOCK--READY TO SHIP

Classification: Tactical, Hunting
                      Magnification: 6.5-20x
                      Dimensions: 14.40"
                      Weight: 21.6 oz
                      reg $469.99
                      save $170.00
                      $299.99
                      More info
                      That's a dern good deal right there! But I just snagged a new SWFA 3-15 Mil-Quad reticle scope, sunshade with lens covers kit they have on sale right now.
                      Now I wonder how long it'll take to come in...

Comment

Originally posted by lglidewell View Post
                        That's a dern good deal right there! But I just snagged a new SWFA 3-15 Mil-Quad reticle scope, sunshade with lens covers kit they have on sale right now.
                        I bet it will be on your porch by Friday. Everything I have bought has arrived very quickly.

Comment

Originally posted by lglidewell View Post
                          Where?

Comment

Originally posted by BowCrazy View Post
                            Where?
                            SWFA.com

SWFA is an optics manufacturing specializing in rifle scopes built for tactical, hunting, and long range shooting known for quality and precision optics.

Comment

Wow!! The scope was delivered at 5:24p this evening!! Talk about FAST!!

Is it normal that both turrets were maxed out at 5+ revolutions? I can't remember if the fixed power scopes were like that when I bought them..

Comment

Working...
                              X