Scent free detergent

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Radar View Post
    I think during early bow season when its hot as Hades and your sitting in a stand or pop up, soaking wet with sweat, nothing would work.

All you can do is try to eliminate strong odors from you and your clothes and hunt the wind. Cover scents help. I usually step in a bunch of fresh cow crap on the way to my blind...or bag some up and smear it on my rubber boots. I did that all summer hunting pigs in the HEAT and had a record year killing pigs with my bow...and I had them come in downwind plenty of times.

Skinny

Comment

Originally posted by Skinny View Post
      All you can do is try to eliminate strong odors from you and your clothes and hunt the wind. Cover scents help. I usually step in a bunch of fresh cow crap on the way to my blind...or bag some up and smear it on my rubber boots. I did that all summer hunting pigs in the HEAT and had a record year killing pigs with my bow...and I had them come in downwind plenty of times.

Skinny

That’s bullchit!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Cow chips

Originally posted by SKLOSS View Post
        That’s bullchit!!

I take it a little farther and chew on dried up cow chips in the stand! JK, the cow **** does work though!

Comment

Scent free detergent

Originally posted by skiguy327 View Post
          Don’t worry about it. Nothing will eliminate your scent enough to where a deer won’t smell you anyway. They have better noses than a bloodhound. Just hunt the wind and you’ll do fine.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

This is bad advice imo. Especially out in west Texas and down south. Deer can and will come from all directions and will circle a food source so depending on "playing the win" is futile. Best to lessen your scent as much as you can to cover all your bases. You can't eliminate it, but you can reduce it. TuthDoc used to say, you want to try to make it like you are no longer there.... even if they do catch a slight whiff of some of you.

That being said I do prefer to have the wind coming from my food source to my face. But their circling the area behind me throws that out the window.... so do swirling winds..[emoji31]
          Last edited by Smart; 11-30-2017, 07:46 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by skiguy327 View Post
            Don’t worry about it. Nothing will eliminate your scent enough to where a deer won’t smell you anyway. They have better noses than a bloodhound. Just hunt the SWIRLING WINDS AND EVERYTHING WILL SMELL YOU !

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

There ! That's so much better !

Comment

Originally posted by Gunswayne View Post
              I use ALL brand scent free/hypoallergenic detergent. Cheaper than Tide and all the "hunting" soaps and works fine. Been doing it for years now. Just got the ALL dryer sheets to try out this week. I have some new camo that needs a bit of softening up.
              Same here

Comment

Originally posted by Christianhuff View Post
                I take it a little farther and chew on dried up cow chips in the stand! JK, the cow **** does work though!

Oh I know. Just jackin with Skin. I step in cow caca er’rytime I can.

Comment

What are good cover scents that would work anywhere in Texas? I have heard the coon or fox pee you buy in Academy is good. Any opinions???

Comment

[QUOTE=Smart;12971905]This is bad advice imo. Especially out in west Texas and down south. Deer can and will come from all directions and will circle a food source so depending on "playing the win" is futile. Best to lessen your scent as much as you can to cover all your bases. You can't eliminate it, but you can reduce it. TuthDoc used to say, you want to try to make it like you are no longer there.... even if they do catch a slight whiff of some of you.

I agree with this. This is also why I believe deer pee and attractant scents may not be a good idea. I read another thread about Buck Bombs being pretty good at pulling in deer.

What are your opinions on using deer pee and other attractant scents? They could give you away and let deer know that you are in the area.

Comment

That’s bullchit!!

LOL...that sucker had me smearing it on the corners of my box blind and it **** sure worked. Well I got the deer that had been winding me in with a suspect wind anyway. First time I did it was my bad shot on Flattop.. Gonna need more Walmart sacks..

Comment

Scent free detergent

Originally posted by Smart View Post
                        LOL...that sucker had me smearing it on the corners of my box blind and it **** sure worked. Well I got the deer that had been winding me in with a suspect wind anyway. First time I did it was my bad shot on Flattop.. Gonna need more Walmart sacks..

It absolutely works. So does a nice pile of black buck poo. It’s so nice of them to pizz and chit in the exact same spot at every feeder. Instant cover scent!

Comment

It absolutely works. So does a nice pile of black buck poo. It’s so nice of them to pizz and chit in the exact same spot at every feeder. Instant cover scent!

Ive stepped in it before but never smeared it..

Comment

Originally posted by Smart View Post
                            This is bad advice imo. Especially out in west Texas and down south. Deer can and will come from all directions and will circle a food source so depending on "playing the win" is futile. Best to lessen your scent as much as you can to cover all your bases. You can't eliminate it, but you can reduce it. TuthDoc used to say, you want to try to make it like you are no longer there.... even if they do catch a slight whiff of some of you.

That being said I do prefer to have the wind coming from my food source to my face. But their circling the area behind me throws that out the window.... so do swirling winds..[emoji31]

Yep, I once hunted this 500 acre lease where the LO ran pen raised quail hunts in the open pastures and we hunted deer back in the woods. He had hunters there every weekend and many during the week during deer season. I actually believe there was so much human and bird dog scent flowing around there that the deer gave up spooking to scent unless you were like right on them. I had so many deer come into my stand down wind and yes I did all the scent free wash, spray etc but no way I got rid of it all. I think they couldn't escape the human scent and just had to cope with it to some degree.

RD

Comment

Originally posted by Gunswayne View Post
                              I use ALL brand scent free/hypoallergenic detergent. Cheaper than Tide and all the "hunting" soaps and works fine. Been doing it for years now. Just got the ALL dryer sheets to try out this week. I have some new camo that needs a bit of softening up.
                              Thanks for the information

Comment

Originally posted by Briar Friar View Post
                                Texasguy83... Thank you for bringing this up. Im gonna check out ALL.

I normally just use baking soda and hot water. Ive always seemed to be able to smell some scent in every scent free detergent...I always reckon if I can smell it the deer will too. However I ozone my clothes but I can smell that too...so I air out my clothes before a hunt.
                                I’ll have to try that, how much baking soda do you use?

Comment

Working...
                                X