Reply
Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Around the Campfire
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-16-2017, 02:08 PM   #1
TeXXaN
Eight Point
 
TeXXaN's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Eielson AFB, Alaska
Hunt In: Uvalde, Alaska
Default Rocksprings land

Any one hunt it I want to buy land and looking in this area due to the population of Axis. I know the main issue is water I will haul it in i guess. What are some other things to be thinking about. For a shelter i will build two sheds from lowes one for sleeping and dressing couch. And the other will be the cook/shower house. Alaska gave me the idea as Valdez has many of them converted to this. Thanks for any info.
TeXXaN is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-16-2017, 02:43 PM   #2
Gunnyart
Pope & Young
 
Gunnyart's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Mansfield, TX
Hunt In: Gouldbusk, TX
Default

Don't plan on driving T posts. It ain't called Rocksprings for no reason.
Gunnyart is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-16-2017, 02:44 PM   #3
TeXXaN
Eight Point
 
TeXXaN's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Eielson AFB, Alaska
Hunt In: Uvalde, Alaska
Default

make sense, thats a good point.
TeXXaN is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-16-2017, 02:45 PM   #4
Kdog
Pope & Young
 
Kdog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Cibolo, TX
Hunt In: Kinney County, TX/Wisconsin/Canada
Default Rocksprings land

Good luck on your search. I could be wrong, but I think Junction/Sonora area has lots of Axis too. My son and I came through that area (Rocksprings) last time we were at deer camp on our way home to San Antonio. I like browsing the real estate ads in that area but it was the first time I ever drove through there.

Last edited by Kdog; 12-16-2017 at 02:58 PM.
Kdog is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-16-2017, 02:51 PM   #5
shooter2007
Eight Point
 
shooter2007's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: San Saba
Hunt In: San Saba, McCulloch co.
Default

My brother in law bought 150 acres south of Rocksprings by the airport. He drilled a well and built a camp house. Had a lot of good times but the hunting was just ok.
shooter2007 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-16-2017, 03:03 PM   #6
texashunter56
Ten Point
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Default

Hunting pressure can be high with the amount of subdivision out there. If I were going to look at land to hunt Axis I would look for a place around Kerrville, Menard or Brady. Less chance of Anthrax wiping out deer herds when it hits again. Menard can still get it but not as quite as bad as Rocksprings down to Carta Valley then south to Bracketville areas.
texashunter56 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-16-2017, 03:42 PM   #7
careybirdwell
Pope & Young
 
careybirdwell's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Magnolia, TX
Hunt In: Ozona
Default

I lease 100 acres off 41 at 230. I know a few guys on here hunt in that area. We haven't seen a deer, an axis, or a hog since August. I have a few Whitetail does & a wandering Axis show up on camera but haven't seen a live animal since August. We had a herd of about 15-20 Axis on the place early in the year. The Axis does moved on, and the Axis Buck followed soon after that. We have ran feeders year round with corn, protein, and ran Alfalfa feeders all year and nothing has helped. One morning I was glassing the area with my binoculars, and I counted close to 30 stands & feeders in the area surrounding our place. I know this doesn't apply to all of Rocksprings area, but I would really make sure if I was buying a hunting property, I would check the area out really well.

I did manage to shoot one small Axis Buck in May. The lease is up on January 31th, and I can't wait to get my stuff off of it.
careybirdwell is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-16-2017, 04:35 PM   #8
Beargrizzly90
Four Point
 
Beargrizzly90's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: San Antonio
Hunt In: Rocksprings TX
Default

I love the area but I can agree with what was stated above. There has been a lot of blinds/stands pop up in the last few years. I’ve hunted off 41 for almost 28 years and it has really blown up lately. We do have all kinds of animals walk through though... deer,elk,sika,hogs, black buck you name it. Water is always an issue and who is around you. Our neighbors to the right and left are great people with good management thinking. The people behind our property are another story, but they can do with their land what they want. Also check what your taxes what would be. Ours keep going up and we get hit with 2 different school taxes. We are trying to get ag but have been denied. Have to try again I guess lol. Good luck with the search.
Beargrizzly90 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-16-2017, 04:39 PM   #9
Shinesintx
Ten Point
 
Shinesintx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: North of Dallas
Hunt In: South Franklin County
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeXXaN View Post
Any one hunt it I want to buy land and looking in this area due to the population of Axis. I know the main issue is water I will haul it in i guess. What are some other things to be thinking about. For a shelter i will build two sheds from lowes one for sleeping and dressing couch. And the other will be the cook/shower house. Alaska gave me the idea as Valdez has many of them converted to this. Thanks for any info.
I bought two sheds from Home Depot. One is for living, itís 12x24. The other is for the 4 wheeler and tools. The sleeping shed has a loft, highly recommend for the extra space.
Shinesintx is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-16-2017, 11:08 PM   #10
Captain39
Eight Point
 
Captain39's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Conroe
Hunt In: Rocksprings
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by careybirdwell View Post
I lease 100 acres off 41 at 230. I know a few guys on here hunt in that area. We haven't seen a deer, an axis, or a hog since August. I have a few Whitetail does & a wandering Axis show up on camera but haven't seen a live animal since August. We had a herd of about 15-20 Axis on the place early in the year. The Axis does moved on, and the Axis Buck followed soon after that. We have ran feeders year round with corn, protein, and ran Alfalfa feeders all year and nothing has helped. One morning I was glassing the area with my binoculars, and I counted close to 30 stands & feeders in the area surrounding our place. I know this doesn't apply to all of Rocksprings area, but I would really make sure if I was buying a hunting property, I would check the area out really well.

I did manage to shoot one small Axis Buck in May. The lease is up on January 31th, and I can't wait to get my stuff off of it.
You are hunting Diamond Ranch. I had a awesome cabin with beautiful views & 50 acres. I had more deer than that; but hunting pressure was everywhere & growing. I now hunt on a lease off 335 right pass 230. We are full of WT & exotics; and only 3-4 miles away as the crow flies from where you are. But now we have 8 hunters on 4000 acres. where before my neighbors hunted 4 guys on 50 acres......
Captain39 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-16-2017, 11:28 PM   #11
careybirdwell
Pope & Young
 
careybirdwell's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Magnolia, TX
Hunt In: Ozona
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain39 View Post
You are hunting Diamond Ranch. I had a awesome cabin with beautiful views & 50 acres. I had more deer than that; but hunting pressure was everywhere & growing. I now hunt on a lease off 335 right pass 230. We are full of WT & exotics; and only 3-4 miles away as the crow flies from where you are. But now we have 8 hunters on 4000 acres. where before my neighbors hunted 4 guys on 50 acres......
I say that all the time. I can drive less than 5 miles down 41 and see tons of whitetail & exotics. It just confirms to me that my area has been shot out or overly pressured. I would love to find a big lease over that way, but right now, Rocksprings has left a bad taste in my mouth. So much so, I'm truly considering not leasing next year and do a few day hunts & fish a lot more
careybirdwell is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:59 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
Copyright 1999-2012, TexasBowhunter.com