How far do you drive max towing a camper

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How far do you drive max towing a camper

Going to be towing a camper 1200+ miles soon. No rush to get there. Would you split it in 2 days or 3?

Family of 5 +1 dog in truck. Youngest is 5.

Going that far I’ve done it 3 ways.

Option 1). Me and the wife take turns and drive thru the night. My kids are pretty good road trippers and sleep most of the trip. If you try to stop around dark the kids have slept all day and are wired when you get em out of the truck when your ready to crash.

Option 2). 500 miles a day is closer to my limit if I’m traveling alone. Start early before dawn and be parked up by 3-4 pm drinking beer and unwinding. This also gets you off the road in the heat of the day when you start to run the risk of mechanical failure and blown out tires.

To each his own but that’s my 2 cents

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I'm breaking up this summers trip to Silverton Co. (~1150 miles one way) trip to ~4.5 - 6 hours driving a day then camp again. (going off memory here, it's been a while since I mapped it out and set it all up)

This has us leaving the camp area in the morning and hitting the next one after check-in then seeing what it's about until dark then waking up and doing it again somewhere else.

2 of the stops are 2 night stays to get a full day in the middle.

One stretch is ~8 hours on the way back- to swing by the lease and top off feeders .
      That's about my max with 2 passengers and 2 dogs.

Our last big trip was 22 days.
      That one was a blast, hopefully this 11 day version won't wear me out.
      Last edited by DaveC; 07-05-2020, 02:26 AM.

Comment

My # 1 rule is be at a campsite to set up before DARK... so 2 hard 10h+ days or 3 easy comfortable ones

Comment

With kids I would do 3 days

I drove from RMNP to my house in Lindale straight through once pulling a 5th wheel.

It was a beating for sure

On the trip up we stopped at Palo Duro SP for a couple of days and that was a lot better

We generally left around 4am and the kids would sleep for 2-3hrs when we went on long trips

Comment

We have never RV road-tripped but we had a goal to visit and stay in all 50 states and are almost done (We have 46/50). When we were younger it was overnight drives to Wyoming because season was open. Then when it was just us driving for leisure, we would get up and drive 4 hours, eat lunch and drive 4 more hours before hitting a hotel. When our daughter came we are pretty much limited to 3 hours break and then 3 hours. I hope this helped but I am guessing you won't be able to run 70 mph with the trailer behind you.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by DaveC View Post
              I'm breaking up this summers trip to Silverton Co. (~1150 miles one way) trip to ~4.5 - 6 hours driving a day then camp again. (going off memory here, it's been a while since I mapped it out and set it all up)

This has us leaving the camp area in the morning and hitting the next one after check-in then seeing what it's about until dark then waking up and doing it again somewhere else.

2 of the stops are 2 night stays to get a full day in the middle.

One stretch is ~8 hours on the way back- to swing by the lease and top off feeders .
              That's about my max with 2 passengers and 2 dogs.

Our last big trip was 22 days.
              That one was a blast, hopefully this 11 day version won't wear me out.
              The longest trip we have done was 11 days. I imagine 22 was awesome!

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Comment

LOL.....when my son was that age we called him the bathroom inspector because we had to stop about every hour for him or so it seemed. Hope your sons bladder gets better mileage.

Comment

We just got to Colorado yesterday. We split it into a 2 night trip. We drove 8 hours both days and 6 hours to our destination on the 3rd day. Houston to Vallecito Lake, Co. about 1100 miles. Have not looked at the odometer.
                  Last edited by captainsling; 07-05-2020, 08:27 AM.

Comment

The last 2 years we have done a 5000 mile roundtrip to Idaho. 5.7 Tundra pulling a 22" Jayco @ 5000 lbs. We try to get 400-500 miles a day when not stopping much. No kids and 1 Jack Russell Terrorist. We've done over 1200 miles in 2 days, but that's a lot of saddle time, especially with children. Get in the right lane, enjoy the scenery, and safe travels.
                    Last edited by Leonhogboy; 07-05-2020, 08:23 AM. Reason: Self grammar police action

Comment

We just pulled from North Texas to Myrtle Beach a couple weeks ago, just shy of 1200 miles.

Going out: 3 1/2 hours, 6 1/2 hours and 8 hours

Coming back: split in two days but dropped down to Charleston, SC

I’d say it all about how you feel and if any cool stops along the way.

Safe travels and enjoy trip

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I think i would just punch myself in the nuts and stay home, sounds considerably more enjoyable

Comment

Originally posted by RJH1 View Post
                          I think i would just punch myself in the nuts and stay home, sounds considerably more enjoyable
                          Not me, I've had enough staying at home, even without any nut punching. I'm not sure what enjoyment you get out of that.

Comment

Headed to Taylor Park, Co in August....
                            Gonna be a 2 day trip for us....
                            Guy trip pulling a 24 ft cargo trailer

Comment

I sure do like being in far west Texas for this reason. I much prefer the mountains to the coast, and I can be most places I enjoy with an easy day trip. I do make one trip up north in 24 hours straight though to just south of Missoula MT. That’s a guy trip with no kids though.

Comment

Working...
                              X