Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Equipment and Tuning

Old 07-22-2018, 11:19 AM   #1
Stephenc
Nubbin' Buck

Default Night Hunting

Any of y'all do night hunting with a bow? It seems like, from searching, most people have problem seeing their fiber optic sight. I have a light on my sight so I'm not worried about that, what concerns me is getting enough light to see through my peep. Any suggestions or thoughts?
Stephenc is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-22-2018, 11:32 AM   #2
Jcjohnson
Six Point

Hunt In: Burke, Thompson, Lincolnton

Take it out is the only sure fire cure practice that way some before you head out. Maybe throw a kisser button on and find a couple other anchor points l. Like where you thumb hits where the string hits your nose. Good to have a few anchor points when you go peepless.
Jcjohnson is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-22-2018, 11:36 AM   #3
joel45acp
Six Point

Hunt In: Duval Co

If you have enough light directed toward your intended target you shouldn't have an issue seeing your pins providing your peep is large enough. I use a green light attached to my bow stabilizer rigged with a pressure switch attached to the bow grip. When I come to full draw I activate the light and bring the bow down to my target. Also, practice at night with your setup so you can become familiar with it in the dark. I now practice more at night with my bow light than in daylight......less nosey neighbors at night. Lol

Last edited by joel45acp; 07-22-2018 at 11:39 AM.
joel45acp is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-22-2018, 11:38 AM   #4
hully1029
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Grayson/Cooke

https://elusivewildlife.com/shop/hun...ow-lights.html
hully1029 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-22-2018, 11:46 AM   #5
Jcjohnson
Six Point

The pigs I hunt don’t care what light color you have they run as soon as I hit the light. Try to hunt during a full moon and stay out of thick cover that restricts the moon light. Have just enough light on my pin to illuminate it so there is no glare and shoot with both eyes open.

Last edited by Jcjohnson; 07-22-2018 at 11:53 AM.
Old 07-23-2018, 03:16 PM   #6
skiguy327
Four Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jcjohnson View Post
The pigs I hunt donít care what light color you have they run as soon as I hit the light. Try to hunt during a full moon and stay out of thick cover that restricts the moon light. Have just enough light on my pin to illuminate it so there is no glare and shoot with both eyes open.

I have the same issue. I have a green laser focused beam flashlight I mounted to my bow and the pigs are amazingly fast running from it. I think it might be too bright. Iím experimenting with more diffused lights to see if that helps. I just bought a non-focused red light and am hoping to test it soon.

Notable is that the coons I see are not spooked whatsoever when I hit them with the green light.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
skiguy327 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-23-2018, 03:54 PM   #7
dk_ace
Four Point

Hunt In: Grayson and Lamar

I’ve been wanting to try this. I have a green light I can mount on stab and a pressure switch. I wondered what to do about the peep/sight alignment though. I guess you guys are just shooting close enough distances that it doesn’t matter if you’re off a little? Doesn’t seem like anyone is doing anything to make it where they can see and verify the alignment is right in the peep.

D
dk_ace is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-24-2018, 02:27 AM   #8
skiguy327
Four Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by dk_ace View Post
Iíve been wanting to try this. I have a green light I can mount on stab and a pressure switch. I wondered what to do about the peep/sight alignment though. I guess you guys are just shooting close enough distances that it doesnít matter if youíre off a little? Doesnít seem like anyone is doing anything to make it where they can see and verify the alignment is right in the peep.

D

Peep alignment is really tough at night for sure. If the target is illuminated at least a little (and your pins too) I find I can get to my anchor point and then make minor adjustments with my head to achieve alignment with the peep. Itís not automatic for me though. Iím always pretty close when I get to full draw but finding the perfect alignment with my sight housing means taking slightly more rime. I do think a kisser button would help a lot. I also think a lighter colored peep, maybe white?, would show up just enough to aid in alignment at night.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
skiguy327 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-24-2018, 09:47 AM   #9
gonehuntin68
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Victoria county

If you want to see your peep at night, get some glow paint and paint the outside of your peep. Simply shine a light on the glow paint for a couple of minutes right before dark and it will glow for at least a couple hours if you use quality glow paint. I did this for years before I removed my peep. If you only use glow paint it will probably peel off after a bunch of shots. I fixed this by mixing the glow paint with 2 part clear expoxy.
gonehuntin68 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-24-2018, 01:34 PM   #10
dk_ace
Four Point

Hunt In: Grayson and Lamar

Quote:
Originally Posted by gonehuntin68 View Post
If you want to see your peep at night, get some glow paint and paint the outside of your peep. Simply shine a light on the glow paint for a couple of minutes right before dark and it will glow for at least a couple hours if you use quality glow paint. I did this for years before I removed my peep. If you only use glow paint it will probably peel off after a bunch of shots. I fixed this by mixing the glow paint with 2 part clear expoxy.
Thatís a cool idea, thanks!

D
dk_ace is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-31-2018, 10:25 PM   #11
dustoffer
Pope & Young

Hunt In: S/Central Tx

I have permanent light setups at both places I hunt pigs. They are LED photocell controlled lights with solar panels. On at dark, and off about 5 hours later when the batteries are down. I also use a Glo-Peep on my bow--"charge" it for about a minute with a light and it is good for several hours. lighted pins too, but turned way low.

This is one type of light I use:

https://www.homedepot.com/p/eLEDing-...SFLH/302035493

Here is another, but I use about 4 to 6 of them at the feeder.

https://www.amazon.com/InnoGear-Upgr...e+lights&psc=1
dustoffer is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-10-2018, 06:17 AM   #12
Frankhunter
Nubbin' Buck

I prefer ATN brand. Their BinoX-HD line of smart digital binoculars are very good with Full HD camera, combining the tried and true binocular design, with state of the art optics and computer processing. For hunting and watching this variant is the best(I saw a lot of reviews) Here https://www.atncorp.com/smart-hd-weapon-sight you can find more information
Frankhunter is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-10-2018, 06:48 AM   #13
Pushbutton2
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Mc Culloch County since 2015 Van Zandt County since 2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by dk_ace View Post
Iíve been wanting to try this. I have a green light I can mount on stab and a pressure switch. I wondered what to do about the peep/sight alignment though. I guess you guys are just shooting close enough distances that it doesnít matter if youíre off a little? Doesnít seem like anyone is doing anything to make it where they can see and verify the alignment is right in the peep.

D
I added a kisser button to help with the peep/sight alignment issue
Pushbutton2 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-13-2018, 07:32 PM   #14
dustoffer
Pope & Young

Hunt In: S/Central Tx

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jcjohnson View Post
The pigs I hunt donít care what light color you have they run as soon as I hit the light. Try to hunt during a full moon and stay out of thick cover that restricts the moon light. Have just enough light on my pin to illuminate it so there is no glare and shoot with both eyes open.
Same here-red, green, blue--no matter. That is why I have lights at all my hog feeders. They are photocell controlled ones and white but after a couple of nights at most, the hogs are comfortable and come right in to catch my arrows.
dustoffer is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-13-2018, 07:53 PM   #15
Jcjohnson
Six Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by dustoffer View Post
Same here-red, green, blue--no matter. That is why I have lights at all my hog feeders. They are photocell controlled ones and white but after a couple of nights at most, the hogs are comfortable and come right in to catch my arrows.
Iíve never tried them, gonna have to give them a shot. Thanks!