Chop saw vs horizontal band saw for metal

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Chop saw vs horizontal band saw for metal

What are y’all’s thoughts on best value for a chop saw or band saw for cutting metal?

IMO the smaller band saws with 1/2” blade cut crooked no matter what, abrasive chop saws do the same and leave cuts you’ve got to clean. We do most all of our cutting with a dry cut carbide saw, it’s loud and leaves metal chips everywhere but it’s the quickest and the straightest.

Comment

Most versatile is the Milwaukee portaband. Great, tough, reliable saw that will not let you down. It will only cut up to 5”, but it works great for tubing, angle, and flat bar. I have mine in a SWAG table, which makes it a lot easier to do consistent square cuts. Not as fast as a chop saw, but more versatile, and you have more control over the cut.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Comment

I have a harbor freight brand band saw. Just a hobbiest and deer stand builder so I dont need fancy.

I will be getting a swag table before the next big project

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Comment

Depends on what your cutting? If it’s sheet metal, angle or tubing. Everyone needs a good portaband but I got a cold cut saw about two years ago and it’s a beast. I’ll be through cutting and have my stuff fabricated by the time you’re done cutting with a band saw.

Comment

Originally posted by VFTX View Post
            What are y’all’s thoughts on best value for a chop saw or band saw for cutting metal?
            That's an opened ended question. Alot depends on what you are cutting. I am a hardcore DIY'r myself and have a couple of cold carbide chopsaws and a stationary 7x12 metal cutting bandsaw. By far the bandsaw will cut more types/shapes and sizes of metal over a chop saw.

Both have pros and cons just like anything.

A chop saw is more portable and cuts faster on some metals the accuracy is so so. Cuts channels, square and round tubing and angle iron good

A bandsaw is stationary, cuts slower, uses a coolant and cuts accurately.
            Cuts everything a chop saw will and alot more such as "H' or "I" beam, solid squares and rounds and exotic metals.

I use a portaband at work and it does good with conduit, small angle etc but it's not great with accuracy or any type of production.

Comment

All great points! Thanks for the input. I’m a hobbyist, so I can’t justify the cost of a good cold cut saw. I mainly cut square, round and angle tubing with some solids every once in awhile. Just looking for more accurate cuts. I am curious about the harbor freight band saw. I know it’s cheap in general, but am wondering if it would work.

Comment

The band saw is a thousand times more versatile. I HATE my chop saw.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

On quick and easy to move around the chop saw is fine. One of the Best Buy’s I’ve made for my shop was an Ellis band saw.

I also have a Milwaukee portable bandsaw on a vertical table and it probably gets used the most especially on smaller cuts.

Comment

Originally posted by Dale Moser View Post

Agreed. I bought a HF 5" portable bandsaw when they were on sale. I cut up several joints of 2-3/8" pipe for posts for my catch pen. That thing is a beast. Cuts fast and smooth.

Comment

Never use chop saw since I got a band saw. Now have a liquid cooled one that is awesome. With a band saw you can drink a cold beer (or work on something else) while it cuts. You gotta have a port a band to. Only buy a chop saw if you need something to loan your buddy ;-)

Comment

Originally posted by Dale Moser View Post

Word.

Comment

Thanks for the input, I’ll be on the look out for a good bandsaw.

Comment

I love my Milwaukee deep cut bandsaw. It does everything I need done. A chop saw would be nice for mass production but they are very noisy, they throw a ton of debris and leave and extremely dirty mess. I do not have a floor mount bandsaw you can sit back and watch it cut but would love to have one.

Comment

I have a chop saw I haven’t used in over five years since I got my portaband. I would have a horizontal band saw if I had the room.

Comment

Working...
                              X